Albany Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received anything from Albany recently? For Financial Aid-- we just have to send in our FAFSA and that yellow sheet they sent us, right? Also, when are transcripts and immunization stuff due?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the current students said that we'll be getting all sorts of info sometime in June.

Transcripts should be in before you start class, and if you aren't immunized, you will be after you get here.

2006 match list isn't posted on the website yet, but you can find 2005, 2004's list on the website. Check under education, select the med school, and look down on the lower right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I was accepted to Albany a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I stopped by the financial aid office and everything to drop off paperwork and i wanted to make sure that was all set for everything else, and you should all be getting a packet in the mail soon... they handed me mine since i was there (I live in Saratoga which is about 35 miles north of Albany). Just has the form for your physician to fill out and the vaccinations you need and all that jazz. I was also told that orientation beings August 20th.

Hello, I was accepted to Albany a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I stopped by the financial aid office and everything to drop off paperwork and i wanted to make sure that was all set for everything else, and you should all be getting a packet in the mail soon... they handed me mine since i was there (I live in Saratoga which is about 35 miles north of Albany). Just has the form for your physician to fill out and the vaccinations you need and all that jazz. I was also told that orientation beings August 20th.

i'm not sure what packet you're referring to.. i'm the orientation coordinator and i haven't yet compiled the orientation packets, which i'll be mailing out to everyone in about two weeks. you'll also receive an e-mail from me in the next few days or so.

It wasn't about orientation, just a packet that admissions was sending out to everyone.

Hey-
Just found out that I got into Albany and I'm definitely going to attend this fall. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the current students (or anyone who asked during their interview) could tell me what kind of research opportunities there are at Albany, particularly during the summer after the first year. Is it easy to find a research mentor and to get funding to do a summer project? Do a lot of students stick around and do research during the summer? Do students participate in research during the school year?

I've been out of college for about 5 years now and during this time I've stayed pretty involved in research and I'm just wondering how easy it will be to continue pursuing my interest in research while at Albany. I'm also kind of looking ahead towards next summer to see if I'm likely to be staying in Albany or if I'll be heading home for the summer (in which case I should try to work something out with my current job whereby I could possibly come back to work for them next summer).

Congrats. Did you get an email notification of your acceptance?

Hey Paul, did you get accepted off of the Under consideration list??

Actually, I assume that I got in without going through the under consideration category. I interviewed on the last day of interviews (May 10th) and I got the acceptance letter in very early June (I live in Southern California). I just waited to post until the school had confirmed that they got all of my materials on time as I wanted to make extra sure that everything was official. Sorry for the confusion. I really shouldn't have said "just found out that I got in" as I actually got the letter about two weeks ago. Guess it just feels like I just got the acceptance given how long this process has dragged on.

...what kind of research opportunities there are at Albany, particularly during the summer after the first year. Is it easy to find a research mentor and to get funding to do a summer project? Do a lot of students stick around and do research during the summer? Do students participate in research during the school year?
There's a couple of different options. There's the SRF (Summer Research Fellowship), the MDDR (MD w/Distinction in Research), and the MD/PhD program.

The SRF is 10 weeks in M1->M2 summer. This year about 20 of my classmates participated. You have to get a mentor, a project, and write a NIH-style grant during the school year, which can be a challenge. During the summer you do your project, get a stipend, revise your grant, and take some classes in research ethics. At the end you present your findings at a little student conference and re-submit your revised grant (the intent of the whole process is to teach you how to get money from the NIH).

You can stop there or embellish your SRF project by getting a MDDR. You get a committee and write/defend a honors thesis, and you get the distinction.

For MD/PhDs, you apply after year one and get a break on MD and PhD tuition, and get a stipend during the PhD.

These are just degree options, and nothing precludes you from just doing work outside of class - I have a buddy who's doing lab work in town this summer and making bank. Another student I know just does it on the side to help his CV and because he likes the department.

For places to do work, there's AMC itself, as well as the Ordway Research labs, NYS DoH, and RPI. Between those places you can find a project in just about any field.

For more questions, just PM me.

Hey-
Just found out that I got into Albany and I'm definitely going to attend this fall. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the current students (or anyone who asked during their interview) could tell me what kind of research opportunities there are at Albany, particularly during the summer after the first year. Is it easy to find a research mentor and to get funding to do a summer project? Do a lot of students stick around and do research during the summer? Do students participate in research during the school year?

I've been out of college for about 5 years now and during this time I've stayed pretty involved in research and I'm just wondering how easy it will be to continue pursuing my interest in research while at Albany. I'm also kind of looking ahead towards next summer to see if I'm likely to be staying in Albany or if I'll be heading home for the summer (in which case I should try to work something out with my current job whereby I could possibly come back to work for them next summer).

I don't have much to add on to what RxnMan said, but my interview at AMC was with a PhD and we talked about the research I've been doing since graduating college. He said there are lots of opportunities at AMC for research and that most people enjoy having med students work in there lab. So I think you'll be able to find something, I know I'm going to try. Good luck.

Hello all -

I don't believe this is posted online yet, but a paper copy is up near my cubicle, and I thought I'd post a summary here.

MATCH RESULTS, 2007, ALBANY MEDICAL COLLEGE
Family Practice - 2
Internal Medicine - 32
Med Peds - 4
Pediatrics - 15
OB/GYN - 12
Anesthesiology - 4
Derm - 1
Emergency Med - 15
General Surgery - 7
Neuro - 1
Opth - 2
Orthopedics - 7
Otolaryngology - 3
Pathology - 3
Plastics - 1
PM+R - 2
Psych - 4
Rad Oncology - 1
Rad Diagnostic - 7
Transitional - 1
Urology - 2

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten into Albany off the waitlist as of yet. I'm on the wait list and still waiting to hear...

Thanks!

hey guys!

this is probably not the best place to ask, but i'm an MS4 from Singapore considering my electives in the US. i am currently deciding between a few hospitals in NY and New England. i'm thinking of doing either surgery or emergency medicine clerkships while i'm there, and was wondering if AMC and its affiliated hospitals have good programs.

in addition, how is the housing situation like? are there things to do off-campus? is it easy to get to places like NYC, Boston, etc?

would appreciate it if any of the current students could send me a private message! don't wanna take over your board. cheers! :)

i'm not sure what packet you're referring to.. i'm the orientation coordinator and i haven't yet compiled the orientation packets, which i'll be mailing out to everyone in about two weeks. you'll also receive an e-mail from me in the next few days or so.

Did that email go out yet? My email was down for a few days.

yeah, ixnay on my email for now. they don't have you guys in a listserv yet. i did, however, mail out your orientation packets this morning. they should be at your doors in a few days.

Is anyone able to access the student profiles? I got an email saying we could fill them out, but they're not available when I login to the status page.

Hey guys,

Does anybody know of cheap furniture store around the Albany area. I know there's an IKEA in Boston, but I'm hoping theres something more local. Any help?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know of cheap furniture store around the Albany area. I know there's an IKEA in Boston, but I'm hoping theres something more local. Any help?

Walmart

So what do you all think of the fact that they are not letting visitors come to the white coat ceremony? (I just saw that little bit of info)

So what do you all think of the fact that they are not letting visitors come to the white coat ceremony? (I just saw that little bit of info)

We really don't have many options.. the White Coat Ceremony is held in ME-700, which is the largest room in the college yet has barely enough room to accommodate each first year and their respective 2nd year adviser (who will give you your white coat.) If visitors were allowed, it'd be a fire code violation.

We are, however, planning on streaming the ceremony live online.

To all the incoming Albany med students or any other person looking for a place to live starting this coming fall for the whole year. We're 2 guys both entering our 3rd year. We live at 548 Mercer, a 5 min walk to school! We are both wicked laid back guys and super easy to get along with. A big plus if you can play guiatar! Any questions please direct to poppaskilove(AT)yahoo.com (Im in mexico at the moment, cant figure out the (AT) button). Price is around $330 per month. Our last roomate fell into some tough times and had to bail on the dream of med school for now. So we're up a creek, we NEED to find someone else ASAP! Thanks, again send me all questions you have.

looks like the previous poster lives on the first floor, since me and two other first years live on the second floor at 548 mercer...so if any first year is considering this, youll have 3 other first years living above you (which hopefully can be considered a plus...)

$975 - apartments for rent near ALBANY LAW/MED/PHARM

Num Rooms: 3
Num Baths: 1
637 myrtle ave (near ontario st.)

Available 8/15. Beautiful 1st. fl. flat in desirable neighborhood(pine hills) between ontario and quail st.. Perfect for grad students. Walk to school.

washer/dryer in common area facility

PM me if youre interested, I'll put you in contact with the landlord, who is a friend of mine.

I'm a medical student doing clinical research at AMC. I am looking to recruit some help with a project in sports medicine/injury prevention.

Specifically, I need help testing volunteers and recording their results (I would train you how to do this on the job). Testing would take approximately 1.5 hours per subject, including a strength measurement and recording the subject's movement using motion-capture. I want to test roughly 30 volunteers over the next year. Testing would take place on weekday afternoons and evenings, and possibly during the weekend. Scheduling of sessions would be dependent upon everyone's availability.

At this time, I cannot compensate you monetarily. However, this is an opportunity to participate in a clinical research project early on in your training. You'll have access to mentors in the field, and publications could result from this work.

If you are interested, please send me a PM. Please feel free to send me any questions too.

Hey, does anyone have an academic calendar for AMC? Any class of 2011 students have last year's? I'm wondering what the basic schedule/layout for MS1 is...when breaks are scheduled...thanksgiving, christmas, spring, summer, etc. Thanks!

Hey, does anyone have an academic calendar for AMC? Any class of 2011 students have last year's? I'm wondering what the basic schedule/layout for MS1 is...when breaks are scheduled...thanksgiving, christmas, spring, summer, etc. Thanks!

You start late August, get 2 weeks for Christmas break (December 23- January 4, 2009), and end for the summer May 29th. Thanksgiving break is only Thursday and Friday off. April 6th-9th is Spring Break. This schedule is for 2nd years. The 1st year schedule may be a little different.