Air Force scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gator1210

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A recruiter came to our school today and said that new graduates make 80-90 thousand once we graduate. He isnt an air force dentist, but an air force recruiter.

I thought to myself that this would be great if that salary was written in a contract.

I have seen the past threads of salary around 50k, but 80-90 is such a lie.

He was a good recruiter bc alot of people turned in sheets for more info.

Am i right by saying this is a recruiting tactic or do air force dentists make that much as soon as they graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Lee, its Doug. Yeah I heard his presentation today and while a lot was bs, I was kinda surprised when he said to consult outside sources before making any decision to join. From what I know about the navy, I was told we'd be making 65-75k upon graduation, I can't believe any recent dental grad working in any branch would make 90k. It just wouldn't make sense.

You can look up the military pay tables to find salary and bonuses, and bah rates online. It is all public knowledge. If a first year dentist lives in Hawaii and has 5 dependents the total monetary pay comes close to $90,000, but that is because of the increase in basica allowance for housing and cost of living adjustment. But a first year dentist living in the continental US shouldn't expect to earn more than $60,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it is possible to defer the comitment while on the HPSP to do a civilian or military based residency(specialty) right out of dental school? Thanks.

horoscope said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to defer the comitment while on the HPSP to do a civilian or military based residency(specialty) right out of dental school? Thanks.

I know that the army doesn't allow this at this time. I think that it is very rare that this happens in the other branches. I believe that this only happens when they have filled their residencies and have a desperate need for that specialty.

I am doing the HPSP through the AF and just met with my recruiter today to set up my MEPS.

Basically, salary only wise you are making 47k. You get a 2k food allowance, 17k housing allowance, around 7k for specialty pay so that comes out to be around 73k for your 1st year. Each year you get a small % incr.

Also, 26% of your salary is not taxable and neither are your allowances so that comes out to be 78k.

While in HPSP you get around 1300 stipend and i hear you get the pay for a Lt. in the inactive reserves or something to that effect. So on top of school getting paid for you get the 1300 and then the Lt pay which i forgot what he said but i think 5k every 1.5months or something? I don't remember.

LazurasDC said:
I am doing the HPSP through the AF and just met with my recruiter today to set up my MEPS.

Basically, salary only wise you are making 47k. You get a 2k food allowance, 17k housing allowance, around 7k for specialty pay so that comes out to be around 73k for your 1st year. Each year you get a small % incr.

Also, 26% of your salary is not taxable and neither are your allowances so that comes out to be 78k.

While in HPSP you get around 1300 stipend and i hear you get the pay for a Lt. in the inactive reserves or something to that effect. So on top of school getting paid for you get the 1300 and then the Lt pay which i forgot what he said but i think 5k every 1.5months or something? I don't remember.
How is 26% of you salary not taxable? Is that a federal income tax thing?

Whne you are in the service, most people get their home address changed to somewhere in Texas or something liek that where there is no state income tax (or no state income tax on military personnel). You don't want to get nailed with the awful NYS income tax with your salary being low as it is.

gator1210 said:
A recruiter came to our school today and said that new graduates make 80-90 thousand once we graduate.

Many factors determine how much pay you will receive. I made around 80,000 as a Captain (O-3) in the U.S. Army Chemical Corps. Chemical Officers do not receive professional pay, but the separate rations (food allowance), housing allowance, separation pay, and cost of living allowance put me right at 80,000 a year. My time as an enlisted soldier also increased my pay. By the way, recruiters don't lie...they only forget to tell you the whole story.

LazurasDC said:

The salary of a new O-3 with no previous training would be about $38,000 not $47,000, it would be $47,000 with 4 years of experience. the food allowance and specialty pay is correct, and 17,000 for housing just depends on where you live. I would say that it is might be a little high for most bases, but a lot lower than hawaii, chicago, DC, san diego. I would say that this estimate would be about $12,000 less for the average joe dentist. I also believe that if you are in a residency then it would be an additional $4000 less since I don't think that you can get ASP while in residency.

Don't let your recruiter make the mistake of telling you when you graduate you will be an O-3 with 4 years experience. This is a common mistake and when the military finds out that you have been overpaid by $10,000 each year they will want it back. You don't want to be in debt to the military when it comes time to separate.

Another thing is that it isn't 26% of your pay is tax free. housing and sustinance is tax free. In your scenario housing and food was 26% of your total payment.

"While in HPSP you get around 1300 stipend and i hear you get the pay for a Lt. in the inactive reserves or something to that effect. So on top of school getting paid for you get the 1300 and then the Lt pay which i forgot what he said but i think 5k every 1.5months or something? I don't remember."[/QUOTE]

your 1300/month is the stipend for 10.5 months out of the year. The LT pay is for the other 1.5 months when you are listed as serving your active duty time as a reserve officer, although you are not doing anything differently. For example, the AF pays me a stipend every month except during January and half of February when I am on "active duty." Nothing has changed, I am still in class, I'm not on a post somewhere...I hope this is clear.

26% of your income is not taxed because your housing and food are not taxable income.

Shaka...when did you go to COBC?

ShakaZulu said:
July 2001. Are you a former Dragon Soldier?

March 2001, Captain Veronica Chin and SFC Gallagher were my instructors.
I was 11B before that, learned enough to enroll through the Air Force of HPSP

Prior said:
March 2001, Captain Veronica Chin and SFC Gallagher were my instructors.
I was 11B before that, learned enough to enroll through the Air Force of HPSP

I know both of those instructors. I tell you what, I don't miss the Chemical Corps at all! The first year I applied to the HPSP program, the Chemical Corps Branch Manager fought hard--and won--to get my application pulled. I had to get a MG to write a letter to the Human Resource Commander to get out of that branch! Enough ranting on my part, I wish you the best of luck in the Air Force. I'm sticking with the Army HPSP program.

ShakaZulu said:
I know both of those instructors. I tell you what, I don't miss the Chemical Corps at all! The first year I applied to the HPSP program, the Chemical Corps Branch Manager fought hard--and won--to get my application pulled. I had to get a MG to write a letter to the Human Resource Commander to get out of that branch! Enough ranting on my part, I wish you the best of luck in the Air Force. I'm sticking with the Army HPSP program.

I had to get out before I came back in b/c I knew i wouldn't be able to take the classes I needed with the current op tempo. Didn't mean to diss the Army, I had great experiences but now with a family, my wife wanted the 4 month instead of 12-18 month deployments. Each service has its +/-'s.

does anyone know the current monthly stipend amount for an air force scholarship?

does anyone know the current monthly stipend amount for an air force scholarship?

My recruiter told us that it's currently $1900/month, but will be going up to $2100 next month...

If you sign on when the stipend is $1900, and then it goes up the next year, do you get the increase? Or do you only get the amount it was at when you signed on?

My recruiter told us that it's currently $1900/month, but will be going up to $2100 next month...

If you sign on when the stipend is $1900, and then it goes up the next year, do you get the increase? Or do you only get the amount it was at when you signed on?

Currently it is around $1900. It is not going up to $2100. The new amount will be $1992. Everybody gets the same amount no matter what branch, year or time in service or when you sign. When the pay increase goes into effect, I think Aug-Sep timeframe then everybody gets the same increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
well if you add up ur stipend pay onto your years payback then you will be earning on average of about 100k per year.

Normal pay is going to range from 65 - 90k depending where you are located because housing pay varies.

Do you know if one could take the AF 4 year HPSP and start it Oct 1. I know that option was available for the Navy. They would pay off that semester starting that school year.