Air Force Reserve vs Air National Guard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popelton

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! So I initially had a lot of interest in doing the Air Force FAP once I complete medical school, but after reading through a ton of these forums and talking to my girlfriend (with whom I have a daughter) I'm hesitant to do 4 years of active duty. I'm still interested in serving, though. I'm primarily interested in Emergency Medicine (that could change of course) and I like the idea of taking care of servicemen and women, as well as getting to experience medicine in an entirely different environment, and have particular interest in aerospace med. Can anyone comment on experiences with the ANG or AF Reserves? What's drill like? Chance of deployment? Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I misrepresented myself with that question. I'm not under the impression that I'd do x years of service and never deploy. With that in mind, how frequent and long are deployments? Particularly for specialties like EM?

Reactions: 1 user
I think I misrepresented myself with that question. I'm not under the impression that I'd do x years of service and never deploy. With that in mind, how frequent and long are deployments? Particularly for specialties like EM?

From my experience with the Air National Guard unit near me they seem to be deployed a lot. Usually only 1-3 months at a time, but that unit has been deployed 3 times in the last 18 months.....

I would say Air Force Reserves would mean less deployments, but they might put you somewhere for a year like the Army reserves often does.

The army reserves is still under the 90 day boots on the ground policy for physicians, not 'a year' unless you are the commander or XO.
That has been in place for 15+ years.
Yes, it could change tomorrow.
Personally, I don't see that changing anytime soon, but thats just my opinion.

I think I misrepresented myself with that question. I'm not under the impression that I'd do x years of service and never deploy.

Gotcha.

I never cease to be amazed at how many docs, both AD and reserve, act so completely surprised and butthurt when they are tasked to deploy. It's not like it is some secret that our country has been sending troops into combat all around the world for the last 17 or so years.
There are few docs still in that signed the dotted line before 9/11 and the GWOT.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hesitant to do 4 years of active duty. I'm still interested in serving, though............. .....Can anyone comment on experiences with the ANG or AF Reserves? What's drill like? Chance of deployment? Is it worth it?

I was in an Air Guard Medical Unit for 16 years. Comments to follow...

1. If you are not prepared to be deployed for long periods do not do it!
------A long deployment can financially ruin a provider in private practice. (I saw it happen to an OB.)
------Even the 2 weeks of training a year can be a hardship on a provider if you don't have all your ducks in a row.
------You will be required to have a workable plan for your child's care in case of deployment.
------It is a commitment not a game!

2. Drill: It's two very busy and long days! The camaraderie is great. I still have a special bond with all my ANG mates. I got a lot of training that directly applied to my "real job". I came home on Sunday night exhausted.

3. Chance of deployment: I was deployed twice, once for 3 months, once for 3 weeks. I was prepared for each and it was no problem for me, BUT my situation was unique.

4. Other Benefits: I got fantastic professional training that I could never have had otherwise. I had much of my CE paid for by the ANG. I was able to practice my craft in 4 countries and 7 states via the ANG.

5. Worth It: For me, it was! For most of the healthcare providers I served with, it was. HOWEVER, it is not for everyone! I saw a few sign up for the wrong reasons and they were miserable and disappeared along the way.

6. IF In Doubt: Don't Do It!

Reactions: 4 users
In your experience besides the guard being state and the Air Force reserves being federal.... any true differences or even similarities that you know of or experienced?!

Aka when you were deployed, where to and in what capacity were you serving as a physician??

Were the reserves more deployed then the guard??

Granted finances shouldn't be the only reason to join, but it can be one factor in considering to join, did you feel there were financial incentives to join the guard?
Thanks in advance!!