Air Force dentist highest rank possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denticus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the highest possible rank a dentist could achieve going through the air force. Anybody know?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. Same in the Army and Navy. it is the only guaranteed General Officer rank. Other dentists can also compete against other medical officers for a 1 star slot - but competition is fierce.

As I remember, the competition wasn't fierce at all. Dentists lose their status as a dental officer when they become head of the Corps. This means a substantial pay DECREASE as they don't get any special pay any more. They also can only hold that position for a few years before they are replaced. When they are replaced, they are forced to retire as they cannot be demoted back to colonel to be a dentist again.

I asked an old oral surgeon about when I was in. He said that several of the older colonels in the Army get together and tell each other "Hey, I think it's your turn!" One finally volunteers.