Aiming for Step 1 score of 240+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YuniCresta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a second year MD student taking the step 1 in july 20. My semester ends May 11 which gives me about 9 weeks to prepare. Anyone has any suggestion or tip on how to prepare during those 9 weeks if I'm aiming for 240s? Things to do and things to avoid doing. I have uWorld, Rx, Pathoma, sketchy and FA 2018. How would be the best way to use these resources?

Also, any study schedules to give me ideas are welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Uworld, Pathoma, First Aid, Sketchy Micro. Of those Pathoma was my personal favorite and in my opinion the best. Uworld is key also. Soak up those explanations.
Thats what I would use, and that’s it. I used BRS Physio, but that was a complete waste of time.
I also used USMLERx Videos, they were okay, I just felt it made getting through a thorough first pass of First Aid a bit more tolerable. I would do 3-4 NBME CBSE exams throughout your study period to track your progress.

Seems to be a lot of hype about Boards&Beyond these days but I didnt use it so can’t comment on it. I think probably not necessary

240s isnt going to impress anyone. aim higher and try not to hit under 240, ideally 250.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
240s isnt going to impress anyone. aim higher and try not to hit under 240, ideally 250.
I mean hell I'd take a 240...christ the standards are high on here

Reactions: 29 users
late July test and 9 weeks? I wish I went to your school.

Reactions: 2 users

You have no idea whatsoever what this poster's goals are. No one is impressed by your internet posts.

Reactions: 20 users
What is a 240, like the 70th percentile? Among an already accomplished/competitive peer group...

Based on charting outcomes, 240s for an MD is competitive for almost all specialties.

I am all about shooting for the moon and landing among the stars but urging others to be dissatisfied with outperforming >50% of students is silly.

Reactions: 10 users
What is a 240, like the 70th percentile? Among an already accomplished/competitive peer group...

Based on charting outcomes, 240s for an MD is competitive for almost all specialties.

I am all about shooting for the moon and landing among the stars but urging others to be dissatisfied with outperforming >50% of students is silly.

If you’re not first, you’re last.

Reactions: 9 users

It's SDN... Everyone here got 250+ in step1.

You are correct. 240s is anywhere from 73 to 85th percentile...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re not first, you’re last.

I see we both get our wisdom from Ricky Bobby... shake n bake!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I am a second year MD student taking the step 1 in july 20. My semester ends May 11 which gives me about 9 weeks to prepare. Anyone has any suggestion or tip on how to prepare during those 9 weeks if I'm aiming for 240s? Things to do and things to avoid doing. I have uWorld, Rx, Pathoma, sketchy and FA 2018. How would be the best way to use these resources?

Also, any study schedules to give me ideas are welcome

OP. During those 9 weeks, UWorld, UWorld, UWorld. And reviewing FA and Pathoma. Sketchy if you need that kind of visual stimulation... it's not for everyone, give it a try tho.

Right now, get through Rx. All of it. Get through it before those 9 weeks start. It's a great way to review First Aid. And when you confront the same knowledge again in UWorld, it helps you remember it long term. Here's what I'd do, but I AM CRAZY... arrive to your dedicated study period having 1) Done all of Rx 2) Listened to all of Pathoma at least once 3) Reviewed FA chapters that you know you're weak in, i.e. bugs and drugs, hookers and blow (STDs and substance abuse), whatever. Your dedicated period should be about perfecting your craft. Make that knife sharp af.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
OP. During those 9 weeks, UWorld, UWorld, UWorld. And reviewing FA and Pathoma. Sketchy if you need that kind of visual stimulation... it's not for everyone, give it a try tho.

Right now, get through Rx. All of it. Get through it before those 9 weeks start. It's a great way to review First Aid. And when you confront the same knowledge again in UWorld, it helps you remember it long term. Here's what I'd do, but I AM CRAZY... arrive to your dedicated study period having 1) Done all of Rx 2) Listened to all of Pathoma at least once 3) Reviewed FA chapters that you know you're weak in, i.e. bugs and drugs, hookers and blow (STDs and substance abuse), whatever. Your dedicated period should be about perfecting your craft. Make that knife sharf af.

I enjoyed your post and want to remember it when it comes time for me but man the killer finale was absolutely destroyed with this.

Reactions: 1 users
I enjoyed your post and want to remember it when it comes time for me but man the killer finale was absolutely destroyed with this.

Danke. Edited. Godspeed.

Reactions: 1 user

Right now, get through Rx. All of it. Get through it before those 9 weeks start. It's a great way to review First Aid. And when you confront the same knowledge again in UWorld, it helps you remember it long term. Here's what I'd do, but I AM CRAZY... arrive to your dedicated study period having 1) Done all of Rx 2) Listened to all of Pathoma at least once 3) Reviewed FA chapters that you know you're weak in, i.e. bugs and drugs, hookers and blow (STDs and substance abuse), whatever. Your dedicated period should be about perfecting your craft. Make that knife sharp af.

Probably the best response so far LOL. Thanks a lot! I've been using pathoma since the beginning of 2nd year so I should complete it when the semester ends. I'll follow your recommendation on Rx and FA too. Thanks a lot!

240 is about 72nd-73rd percentile.

But... why?
You will go absolutely insane. Trust me. A lot of people have trouble with 6 weeks.

Actual suggestions: with that much time, do Uworld, Kaplan, Rx, and then Uworld again. Do over 100 questions and a few hours of FA/flashcards/note review a day, then relax a bit every day. You should be doing pharm cards every day. Spend several full days on histology/radiology. If you're weak on path, I'd recommend Goljan. Do an NBME every week and spend hours going over it. Spend some time on rare immuno/biochem diseases to get the points everyone else misses.

I'm assuming you will have already done Pathoma during the year, but review any weak chapters.

Right now, really focus on doing well in class. I've heard (and anecdotally experienced) M2 grades correlate more strongly with step score than most people think.