Age of Radiology Residency Program Directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

90sportsfan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a weird question, but I've noticed at quite a few of the Rads residency programs that are often mentioned as "top" programs or highly ranked (I realize this is subjective), the Program Directors are pretty young (finished fellowship < 10 years ago). Whereas at some other programs the PDs are more clinically experienced (meaning they have practiced longer).

Just curious what your thoughts are about this, or if this is irrelevant? From my understanding the PDs kind of organize the program and ensure the administration. So a younger PD could have some fresh innovative thoughts, although a more seasoned PD brings the experience.

Anyway, just an observation, and was curious if the experience of the PD has any impact on the training program, or if it really doesn't matter much?

Members don't see this ad.

Overall, i wouldn't put too much stock in to it. It's a way to promote/retain 'rising star' junior faculty. That may or may not mean anything with regards to their ability to be a PD.

As you've said there are some pro's and con's to both younger and older PD's. Theoretically, younger PD's might be able to better empathize with the plight of a resident as well as possibly being more receptive to new ideas. However an older PD with a lot of experience AND clout can make a huge difference too. Having an older, well-respected PD comes in handy in intra-departmental squabbles (e.g. resident vs faculty), inter-departmental squabbles, and when you're looking for a job.

Granted both young and old people can be **** PD's too.

Reactions: 1 user
This is probably a weird question, but I've noticed at quite a few of the Rads residency programs that are often mentioned as "top" programs or highly ranked (I realize this is subjective), the Program Directors are pretty young (finished fellowship < 10 years ago). Whereas at some other programs the PDs are more clinically experienced (meaning they have practiced longer).

Just curious what your thoughts are about this, or if this is irrelevant? From my understanding the PDs kind of organize the program and ensure the administration. So a younger PD could have some fresh innovative thoughts, although a more seasoned PD brings the experience.

Anyway, just an observation, and was curious if the experience of the PD has any impact on the training program, or if it really doesn't matter much?

Lot of PDs are young because it is not a job people want (in my experience). Someone low on the totem pole is often voluntold they should be the PD.

You don't realize this until you are in residency but the PD acts as a resident advocate and it's best to have an older and established person as the PD. If the PD is a young assistant professor they won't be able to be a successful advocate when a bunch of older full professors are pushing for residents to take more call, work longer hours, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Overall, i wouldn't put too much stock in to it. It's a way to promote/retain 'rising star' junior faculty. That may or may not mean anything with regards to their ability to be a PD.

As you've said there are some pro's and con's to both younger and older PD's. Theoretically, younger PD's might be able to better empathize with the plight of a resident as well as possibly being more receptive to new ideas. However an older PD with a lot of experience AND clout can make a huge difference too. Having an older, well-respected PD comes in handy in intra-departmental squabbles (e.g. resident vs faculty), inter-departmental squabbles, and when you're looking for a job.

Granted both young and old people can be **** PD's too.
That's a great point about jobs. I kind of feel like an older, well-known and respected PD carries a lot more weight writing any letters of rec or serving as a reference for jobs or even competitive fellowships.