Aga Khan Medical College International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[originally posted on S. Asia thread, but no one replied for a couple weeks]

Hello,
I am a grade 11 student in the USA hoping for admission to Aga Khan University for MBBS. I lived in Lucknow, UP for a while, but a lot of my family is in pakistan so I would be happy getting my mbbs there. Has anyone applied as an international applicant that you know? If the requirements and standards are the same for international applicants as it is for native pakistanis, I dont think I have much of a chance. I am doing the international baccalaureate diploma if that means anything in admissions. Also, are international applicants required to write the specific admissions exam for aga khan university?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about applying to medical colleges in Pakistan (I'm not Pakistani) but a friend of mine was considering applying to Aga Khan's MBBS program after high school in the US. She was an American high school diploma student (not International Baccalaureate), and requirements for them were taking the SAT II tests in biology, chemistry, and either physics or math, with a score of at least 700 for each, and at least a GPA of 85.

I asked her about IB's, and for other foreign diplomas (not the British IG or Canadian) you need at least a 500 in SAT II tests in biology, chemistry, and physics or math. And a TOEFL score of at least 500. She said you also need 32 points for the IB diploma :confused: I don't know how that system works though.

And finally, yes you need to sit for an extrance exam. I remember seeing sample questions from when she was studying for it, and it's not hard at all. The material is easier than SAT II subject exam material. It's in english, math, science/math reasoning, biology, chemistry, and physics. Hope that helps :).

Thanks for the reply!
Do you know if they look at the SAT Reasoning test? If so, what score do I need? Also, did your friend end up going to AKU, and if not- why (unless it was for personal reasons)?

Once again, thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
For American high school diploma students, you definitely need the SAT reasoning. For IB, I'm not sure. I don't think they place as much importance on it as the science tests, but it's always good to do as best as you can. I can't say around what score you'll need because I have no idea, sorry.

My friend didn't go because her family decided to stay in the US, but keep in mind that it's very difficult to get a US residency if you go to med school abroad, although it does happen. It's getting much more competitive every year. If you plan to practice in the US then it's best to go to med school in the US.

heyyy!

can any1 here tell me whether studentsd with bachelors can apply to AKU???

if so, do i need to go thru the whole SAT I and II again? cuz i am done with uni.... SATs are high school exams, i shud be exempted from them, if i wanna apply right?

and how abt IBCC - do i need any equivalence certifcates from it???

bumping this thrread with the info that i've learned past few months... abt AKU.. for any prospective applicant who comes by this thread...

for any applicant whose in the process of finishing BSc from US/CANADA, and is interested in applying to AKU, here's all u need in order to apply:

gpa min 3.0 ; MCAT min 24.

they accept MCAT in lieu of their entrance tests from applicants with a graduate degree... so if u apply on basis of ur grad degree u don't need to write neither the SATs nor their entrance test - if u have written MCAT..

afterall, v shud never cancel such a renowned school as aku out of our potential list when looking at other options specially like caribbean..:)

bumping this thrread with the info that i've learned past few months... abt AKU.. for any prospective applicant who comes by this thread...

for any applicant whose in the process of finishing BSc from US/CANADA, and is interested in applying to AKU, here's all u need in order to apply:

gpa min 3.0 ; MCAT min 24.

they accept MCAT in lieu of their entrance tests from applicants with a graduate degree... so if u apply on basis of ur grad degree u don't need to write neither the SATs nor their entrance test - if u have written MCAT..

afterall, v shud never cancel such a renowned school as aku out of our potential list when looking at other options specially like caribbean..:)
hey twinklystar,
do you know if AKU will reject you if you have less than a 24 on the MCAT? or would they let you take their entrance exam??