African American, High school help/chances/schools

Trip21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My names [removed] and i am currently a softmore in high school planning on becoming a ER physician. So here is my deal, Im super smart but last year i didn't apply it and i now have a 3.6 GPA. This year my GPA will be around a 4.55 ish bring my GPA up above a 4.0. I plan on graduating with a 4.2 as that is as good as i can get due to being naive my freshman year. i have took the ACT and got a 26 on it but i still have 2 years and im hoping to get a 32 on it. I am very very involved in sports i wrestle and play baseball i am a 1x state qualifier as a freshman on varsity and plan on winning state my jr. year. I also do Decca and SOS.

I am a African male (only saying cause i know it greatly helps med school) and i hope to go to NC State or UNC chapel hill, but due to my low gpa i think that may be 2 reach schools. Could you guys help me out with good premed colleges on the east coast? and also tell me my chances and what should i do to get into my reach schools? thankyou and any advice with anything is great!

Highschool course load:
- every class i can take as honors i have done
- i will finnish school with 6 ap classes
AP human geo
Ap government
AP physics
AP calculus
AP statistics
AP Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are super smart, but don't know to use the right forum? :rolleyes:

Go to whatever school is cheapest, get good grades, do well on MCAT, do some volunteering, come back here in 4 years so we can tell you to apply to HMS.

Can't really be helpful until you know the ACT score you'll be applying with. 26 -> 32 is a jump from approx top ~20% to top ~2%, which is huge. With a 26 you're still likely to get into a place like NC state, but with a 32 you're likely to get attention from Ivy-level schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to hSDN and editing your post to remove your name. Please protect your anonymity, as well as others', on the forums.

Thank you guys, And 32 may be a reach 31 is more realistic. what other schools should i be applying to? and what do you think my chances are at UNC chapel hill?

Thank you guys, And 32 may be a reach 31 is more realistic. what other schools should i be applying to? and what do you think my chances are at UNC chapel hill?
If you do score a 31-32, I would bet a very large amount of money on you getting admitted to UNC