USMLE AFP in spina bifida and other neural tube defects (FA & publications discrepancy/confusion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyler D

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA 14 Pg 445 says that meningocele has a Normal AFP level.
Several publications mention that AFP is high in "Open" Spina Bifida and in Anencephaly.
Which types of Spina Bifida are termed Open ?
Rachischisis ?

What is the AFP level in Spina Bifida oculta, Meningocele and Meningomyelocele and in Rachischisis ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

spina bifida has a normal AFP. Meningocoele and myelomeningocoele has an elevated AFP as does anencephaly. i wouldn't look into it too much i don't think the different subtypes of these disorders are high yield. just know what i stated above and remember that maternal folic acid supplementation BEFORE pregnancy and during is important for the neural tube to close.

Reactions: 1 user
never saw a distinction between those conditions between AFP values and I took like 3 or 4 NBMEs + shelves + Uworld + Rx and the real deal.

probably super low yield and not worth expending that much time on. EazyE1907 has the right idea. The most important thing regarding spina bifida + assoc conditions is folate supplementation before pregnancy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks !
You mentioned that Meningocele and Meningo-myelocele has elevated AFP.
FA mentions that Meningocele has Normal AFP.
So FA would be wrong on that one then ?