Afiliated Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msgbueno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the number of clinical campuses matter in terms of getting an edge into your residency choice? NYCOM has about 35 afiliated hospitals while TCOM has only 6 hospitals. I would like to get an ortho residency and I wanted to know if this makes any difference in terms of options upon graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes and no. One of the main facts to consider is that NYCOM's OPTI doesnt have an ortho residency, but TCOMs does. However, NYCOM students can rotate through Peninsula hospital, about 20 minutes from NYCOM, which does have a D.O. ortho slot, but it's under LECOM I believe and I honestly havent heard rave reviews about it, but then again, ortho it ortho. You go where you can get it.

The flip side....the greater number of hospitals will enable you to gain more exposure though. You can see a fair amount of volume when it comes to orthopedics if you can schedule your rotations to be at some of the coveted programs like North Shore Univ Hospital (ranked best overall hospital system in the country last year), also LIJ and Nassau University Medical Center have respectable surgery programs and do lots of ortho from what I hear. However, keep in mind these are very competitive for anyone to climb into, DO or MD. LIJ is associated with Einstein. Nassau Univ with Stonybrook. Likewise, you may be able to gain similar exposure at TCOM for less money. I dont know their programs well enough to give an accurate idea.

IMO, dont base you school choice on what place has the better residency associated with it, as you can apply to TCOM's programs from NYCOM and vice versa. Granted, they may be partial to their own students, but wherever you go, if you want ortho, you'll have to do well in class, shine on rotations, and rock the boards. The choice of school will not be the deciding factor in obtaining a residency, you will be the deciding factor. Go to the place where you can make some connections, but more importantly learn the most and be happy, because a happy medical student is a more productive one, and someday a better doctor for it, IMO.

hope this helps. good luck.

hey docDO

muchas gracias for the 411. i've been reading around the postings... how do you know all this info about med schools? i need to learn a little more myself, especially right now since i'm making decisions. most likely, i think i'll end up going to TCOM. NYC will eat me alive. I don't think i can handle the big city life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice oceandoc!

I just have to add few things. The report that North Shore University was rated best in America came from AARP modern maturity magazine (http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/Articles/a2003-01-17-tophospitalschart). Personally, I think their ranking is not that good. St. Francis in Roslyn was rated #2 but yet it only does cardiac care. For some reason, I do not see the Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic anywhere in the top 50. The USNews is a better magazine to look at. I'm in my 3rd yr now and I know that Nassau University does have ortho but students are not able to rotate through that specialty during surgery clerkship. Ortho surgery at Nassau are for Stony Brook residents only.

Msgbueno, I suggest you take a look at www.do-online.org. The Student Resources link has the listing for all DO orthopedic programs. Most of the programs are in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Don't worry about which school you should go for ortho. You need to do well, do well on the boards, and rotate through those hospitals that interest you in order to showcase yourself. BTW, I haven't heard any good reviews about Peninsula hospital either. You have a long road ahead, be open-minded about other fields of medicine, especially when you enter years 3&4.

Good luck and don't lose sleep with this NYCOM-TCOM conflict!:)

DrVlad...

I agree, AARP isnt the authority when it comes to assessing healthcare. However, Modern Maturity has the highest circulation of any periodical in the country from what I remember. They're also the largest lobbying group in Washington. Hence, they have some pull. While they're not USNews, it's nice to be recognized by a group with that inherent power. One thing we'll all agree on though is that rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Once we start ranking the services that rank other services, I think we've all lost it.

msgbueno...

Good luck on your decision. I understand your potential fears about NY. I was scared to death to come here to. But, after the pledging process, you're initiated quickly as a New Yorker and required to drive bad and talk funny ;):D

Originally posted by oceandocDO
DrVlad...

I agree, AARP isnt the authority when it comes to assessing healthcare. However, Modern Maturity has the highest circulation of any periodical in the country from what I remember. They're also the largest lobbying group in Washington. Hence, they have some pull. While they're not USNews, it's nice to be recognized by a group with that inherent power. One thing we'll all agree on though is that rankings should be taken with a grain of salt.

Interesting, I never knew that modern maturity had that much pull on Capitol Hill. Rankings are indeed mainly BS when it comes to finding the right residency program for yourself.