Affraid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AudQuestions

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing all these posts, about everyone's axiety is making me anxious. I worry about moving across the country possibley and having to live with no money. Someone reassure me. I dunno how, just make me happy.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you first must ask yourself, "How important is this to you? and How bad do you want it?" I did the travel across the country thing, and yes, I certainly had some misadventures, and still continue to have my hiccups every now and then. However, I remind myself of how unhappy I was with the way my career was going before I entered school, and how much I love what I have learned, and now I'm about to graduate! You HAVE to focus on the the positive, and why you are there in the first place. Remember, that you can always go back home after you're done.

It's not so much that I want to stay in Pennsylvania (not that there's anything wrong with PA). If I didn't want to move I could go to Salus which is within driving distance. I dunno. I just never moved anywhere except down the street and even that was hard. How does one find an apartment in a place one has never been?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not so much that I want to stay in Pennsylvania (not that there's anything wrong with PA). If I didn't want to move I could go to Salus which is within driving distance. I dunno. I just never moved anywhere except down the street and even that was hard. How does one find an apartment in a place one has never been?

I have done the cross country move TWICE now...both times never having been there and not knowing anyone. Its not hard if you are ambitious and happy to be moving into the next step of your life...which most grad students are :) To find an apartment, use the internet. Find apartments in your price range and in the location you want to be in, then look at the size and storage...sometimes the smaller apts have the larger prices. Email MANY places think of this search like you did with grad school...you want it to be the right fit. Call them! This is a big one because if no one answers and you leave a message and never hear back from them than they probably are not that involved in their apartment community and would be hard to get a hold of if something went wrong while you were living there. And if someone is there you can get an idea of how friendly they are. Ask what the hours are for the complex office and if anyone lives on site. Ask if there are any utilities included. Ask how things are fixed when something breaks--for example is there an emergency pager you can call or is it something you submit online and have to wait 24 hrs for a response. If there are no pictures online, ask for some of the inside and around the complex. Look at the other apartments in the area...if they all look run down and are not some place you would want to live, most likely the apt complex you are looking at will not be a fabulous place either...think about houses--nice big fancy houses are not right next to shady s***** houses--same things with apartments. Lastly, check the crime in the area...just google crime statistic in whatever town--if there is tons of violent crime, its probably a safe bet that its not the best place to be.

Hope this helps. Like I said I have done this 2x. Once from NY to AZ and the other AZ to WA...both times I have really done my hw and worked and communicated with the complexes until I found my place to live and I was very pleased both times. Good luck!!

Then I just have to figure out how to pay for it all.

Yeah, that's a big one for me, too. I'm only taking my car and leaving behind all nonessentials like bed, dresser, etc. and I budgeted for it in my loans. It might be worth getting a furnished apartment? Just throwing that out there.

I'm sorry, I know this is random. But do you have to be someones friend to PM them? AUDball, I tried to send you a message but it does not seem to have worked. I'm new to this forum and sending messages should not seem this complicated! lol.

(PM about transitioning from Tucson to Seattle fyi lol.) Wildcat here! :)

I'm sorry, I know this is random. But do you have to be someones friend to PM them? AUDball, I tried to send you a message but it does not seem to have worked. I'm new to this forum and sending messages should not seem this complicated! lol.

(PM about transitioning from Tucson to Seattle fyi lol.) Wildcat here! :)

You click on their username and then you will have the option to choose either a public or private message through a pop out link :).

Last edited:
You click on their username and then you will have the option to choose either a public or private message through a pop out link :).
I checked the settings under my account, and realized you have to designate that you want to keep copies of your sent messages. This explains why I would send messages, and have no record of them lol.

Thank you, Spring. I PM'd you back. If that failed to work, then technology is clearly conspiring against me ;-)