Affording Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerlinNeuro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those in the AB program or those who are knowledgable about this topic:

I've tried in the past on SDN and on this forum to ascertain information about the cost and affordability of Irish medical schools. I applied to AB this year and I'm waiting to hear this spring from a couple schools. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and get an offer. However, no one seems able to answer my question about the real cost of going to school here. Is there anyone who can answer ANY of the following:

1) What is the average % increase in tuition yearly?
2) How much money/month would a student need to get non-university housing? I know it depends on where you live, but say sharing with other students in a student area.
3) How much money per month on average do you spend on other stuff?
4) Any hidden costs?
5) How are US American students affording everything?

I know this is all about money, but I have to be realistic about whether I can come or not if given the chance. (cross fingers) My significant other lives in London and I can't afford the UK at all, but I seriously want to try and go to Ireland. I have an offer I'm holding at a US med school, but I don't want to unnecessarily strain my relationship with my boyfriend if my Ireland school plan pans out - somehow, someway. Any advice is wonderful.

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

This is some info that I got off of the AB website (in the q&a section)...hopefully it helps with some of your questions:

Q: Is student accommodation available and how much does it cost?
A: Yes, all the colleges/universities have excellent, modern, on-campus housing. International students who have received letters of admission are guaranteed university housing (provided that their housing applications are received on time). Housing in the private sector, including housing for married couples, may also be located with assistance from the college's student accommodation offices.
The cost of housing varies according to what type of accommodation you require. As university accommodation is subsidized the rent is very affordable (usually between US$ 300 and US$ 400) per month. Accommodation in the private sector is usually more expensive.

Q: How much are tuition fees?
A: Tuition fees for the 2005 academic year have yet to be announced but are expected to be in the region of Euro 23,000 annually at UCD, Tinity & UCC and approximately Euro 34,000 annually at the Royal College of Surgeons. It has been our experience that, on average, students will spend approximately US$ 12,000 per year on living expenses (rent, food, supplies, travel, etc.). These expenses may be financed through financial aid.

Q: What kind of financial aid is available?
A: Financial aid in the form of US and Canadian student loans are available to cover education expenses such as tuition fees, books and supplies, travel, etc. Currently the schools cannot make scholarships available to international students.
Every student who receives a letter of acceptance will be provided with a financial aid kit containing details of the financing programs available to them and the necessary application forms.

Q: Are there any special airfares available to students studying in Ireland?
A: Yes, the Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) offers special student airfares to students who are studying overseas. CIEE has offices throughout the USA and Canada through which travel arrangements can be made to and from Europe. North America and the rest of the world. For details on their office nearest you call 1-800-781-4040 or visit www.statravel.com.

I got this off the RCSI web site:

ESTIMATE OF APPROXIMATE COST OF LIVING FOR 2004/2005

Self Catering Accommodation
(cost per month)

Rent Apartment
1 bedroom - outside RCSI €900 approx
2 bedroom - outside RCSI €1,200 approx
Light & Heat (outside RCSI) €130 approx
Food €300 approx

Travel Expenses (not applicable to RCSI residents) €65
Pocket Money (varies considerably) €300 approx

Initial Settling-In Allowance

When renting property outside RCSI you will be required to pay the first months rent and a deposit in advance. The deposit is normally the same amount as the monthly rental figure. Minimum lease period is usually 1 year and if you vacate prior to this period you will be liable to pay rent for the remaining period.

Miscellaneous items might, on occasions have to be purchased e.g. crockery, cooking utensils, bed linen etc. These items will differ according to what is supplied and what is needed. Warm clothing may also need to be purchased at an approximate cost of €380-€500.

Electricity and telephone connection fees have also to be paid in advance. An electricity deposit costs approx €150.

Mobile phones can be purchased from a variety of phone shops located all around the city. Prices start from €100 but there are terms and conditions. Prepaid mobile phones also exist where you can purchase top up credit. This route means there are no large monthly bills to pay. Check special offers with the retailer.

Fixed lines are available by contacting Eircom at 1901. Cost for a new line is €130.00. Eircom will send an agreement which must be signed and returned with a deposit. If you are renting a property where an existing line was held the re-connection cost is €25.00. Waiting time for a new line is approx 3-4 weeks depending on property location or 24 hours for a re-connection.

Special purchase 'call cards' can be bought at reduced rates for overseas calls in college and most Newsagents and Telecom Centres.

Other items you will need to budget for include: stationary, photocopying, printing, books, toiletries etc.

A television licence must be purchased at a cost of €107.00 . Available at any local Post Office.

Insuring your possessions is vital and costs start at approx €50 per annum depending on the cover required. The Student Services Department can provide further information and application forms.

Health
All newly registered medical students must arrange serological screening for Hepatitis B. Followed by vaccination if required. Screening and immunisation are compulsory the first year following admission and failure to comply will result in discontinuation. A budget of approx €200 should cover this process. Screening & Immunisation is available at the Travel Health Centre located in Mercer Medical Centre.

Health Insurance is also essential with annual costs from €260 upwards depending on the plan chosen. Application forms and further information available from Student Services Department.

Travel
The average price of a single city bus or train fare is €1.30 There are weekly and monthly commuter tickets available, which give unlimited travel within the city. A monthly Dublin Bus Ticket will cost €63. You will need to purchase a travel ID card (€2.50)

Alternatively when you produce a USIT card with a travel stamp students can purchase a monthly Bus and DART ticket for €60. USIT application forms are available from Student Services.

Travel by bicycle is also an option. Bicycles can be purchased new or second hand from local shops. There is a bicycle park located in the College.
Should you decide to travel by car parking is available in the city but is very expensive (approx €2.30 per hour). On street parking is available at meters but this is difficult to secure and many streets only allow a 2 hour maximum period.

Car insurance is very expensive in Ireland especially for under 25's. Quotes vary depending on experience, age etc. Contact individual companies for costs. For further information regarding car tax and licences contact the Motor Taxation Department -
01-8899222.

Entertainment
Depends on personal choice. Cinema seats cost approx €7.50. Once again student discounts are available to holders of a USIT card. Disco entrance (cover charge) €7.00 to €15.00, theatre
and concert tickets €10.00 to €25.00+. A pint of beer in the city pub costs on average €3.60 to €4.00, a glass of wine approx the same (coffee and tea €1.30 to €2.00). Soft drinks are also available and cheaper. Cigarettes cost €5.20 for a packet of 20. Most parks and museums, art galleries etc have free entrance or offer student discounts.

Miscellaneous
Postage
EU Countries costs 48c for a letter
Outside EU Countries costs 58c to 72c for a letter

Daily newspaper costs approx €1.30

Please Note
All the above figures are approximations as some students will live on less and some on more depending on their allowance.

I don't know what the average increase in tuition per year is nor if there are any hidden costs (but there do always seem to be some hidden costs when moving to a new country, like having to furnish your flat). Hope it helped.

At RCSI, the average tuition increase is approximately 7%/annum. However, that may possibly change, and that does not consider the fluctuation of the Euro to the Dollar.

Hidden costs, not really any early on. However, in clinical years, there are large costs involved in visiting electives (i.e., travel, accommodation), board exams (i.e., about $1,000 each for USMLE Step 1, 2CK, 2CS, etc.), and residency applications (the cost depends on how many you apply to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info from both of you. (One of my main worries is whether or not the dollar will continue to fall, which is something no one of can predict.)

Has anyone taken out only loans (i.e. no parental help) from the recommended lenders for their tuition and living expenses? Any advice? Or do most of the students have some family support?

I predict my debt would be in the $250k range after 5 years. :eek:

ya,
that's the main reason I decided to decline my interview offer to RCSI this year because the cost is just devastating, i don't want to be almost half a mil (cdn) in debt by the time i graduate, especially since I have a good chance of getting in here... but then everyone's situation is different...I had to do 6 yrs so it was even more...

hi there. it's expensive. if u have to ask, u can't afford it. i started in 1999 and estimate i have spent about 150,000 us so far and i have a year left to go. and i have been here only four years, which works out at around 33,000 us per year. i took some time off though. anyways, you can't do it if you rely on federal funding alone, you do have to find alternate sources. and working part time is really not a very good option,only in the first few years.