Affordable hotels for interviews in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good but affordable hotels near the NYU area?

Interviewing = going broke. I sure hope this is all worth it!

Thanks and good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do for hotels during the interview season is use priceline. Put in an area and bid. Use as few parameters as possible at first so if your price gets rejected you can change something other than the date and bid again. For those not familiar with priceline, if your price is rejected, you have to change some parameter (location within the city, date, star/class level of hotel) or wait 3 days before bidding again. For instance, if you're trying to stay at a 4 star hotel (which I did several times for $50, although not in NYC), bid once and if it gets rejected, look for another area in the city that doesn't have 4 star hotels and include that area in your search. Then priceline searches in both areas at your newer slightly higher bid but really only looks in your original area since there aren't any 4 stars in the new area. This keeps you from having to wait 3 days before bidding again. You can get some good hotels this way and still not break the bank. Even if you don't go for 4 star hotels, priceline is a great hotel deal. Find the cheapest room price (usually on hotels.com) for a class in your area and then bid a percentage of that. Beware of downtown hotels though if you have a rental car because they often charge ridiculous amounts to park.

The other great website is hotwire.com You can get some real bargains, although I found it better for cities other than New York.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also consider hotels in New Jersey, such as near Newark Airport. I stayed at a place that was between $40-45 booked through priceline.com . I forgot the name but it was a regular businessman's chain (like the Marriott or similar and not cheap brands like Super 8 or a locally owned no-name motel)

I once knew a surgery resident who showed me where an empty call room at the VA was located. He only requested that I not walk around in the hallways and go straight to the call room. This was not in the New York City area.

I went so broke that I stayed at hostels for the last couple interviews. These were strictly redeye flight trips where I was only in town for less than 24 hours.