Affirmative Action, ERAS, and Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I DO NOT want this to become some hot debate about the pros and cons of affirmative action, but I wanted to know whether there is the same/similar "impact" of affirmative action when it comes to residencies and selections as there is during med school selections.

In other words, how much weight is there given to candidates based on their race and such?

Thanks

ONCE AGAIN...THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON THE PROS AND CONS OF AA!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen (I'm still a medical student), there is still some affirmative action in the match. However, it's less marked then in medical school admissions.

Sledge2005 said:
From what I've seen (I'm still a medical student), there is still some affirmative action in the match. However, it's less marked then in medical school admissions.
In my experience, I've seen no effect of AA on residency interviews. On the other hand, I saw it as a huge factor in medical school interviews.

Sessamoid said:
In my experience, I've seen no effect of AA on residency interviews. On the other hand, I saw it as a huge factor in medical school interviews.

The idea that there is no effect off AA in residency applications is untrue. Once I heard faculty talk about recruiting minorities for their residency programs. It's not just race either. Fields that have mostly people of one sex will ocasionally give a little preference to members of opposite sex (eg urology and ob-gyn).

Sledge2005 said:
The idea that there is no effect off AA in residency applications is untrue. Once I heard faculty talk about recruiting minorities for their residency programs. It's not just race either. Fields that have mostly people of one sex will ocasionally give a little preference to members of opposite sex (eg urology and ob-gyn).
Which is why I said, "in my experience." I didn't offer it as absolute truth. It goes for my program and the programs that I have experience with only. At my program, it never even occurred to us to talk about race, which in retrospect perhaps seems a little unusual. YMMV.

There's always minority recruitment, but because the Match results can be very unpredictable at times, you can't place the "recruits" in assigned spots on the rank lists so you have 15% minorities every year like you could in med school.