MD & DO AFD enjoy: Google Bard asks WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a senior at Google University. I'm planning on applying to medical school next year and I'm starting to get a little nervous about my chances. I've been doing a lot of research on the admissions process and it seems like there are so many factors that go into it, it's hard to know where I stand.

My GPA is a 3.8 and my MCAT score is a 515. I have a lot of extracurricular activities, including volunteering at a local hospital (100 hours), working as a research assistant in a neuroscience lab (500 hours), and being a member of the pre-med club. I'm also a first-generation college student and I'm a member of a minority group (not fluent in Spanish).

I'm not sure if my stats are competitive enough for medical school. I'm worried that my GPA is too low and my MCAT score isn't high enough. I'm also not sure if my extracurricular activities are strong enough. I'm hoping that my first-generation status and minority status will help me, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have.

I would really appreciate any advice you have on my chances of getting into medical school. I'm really passionate about medicine and I'm determined to make it my career, but I'm starting to feel like my dreams might be out of reach.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Bard

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Bard answers Bard:

Thank you for reaching out to me. I understand your concerns about your chances of getting into medical school. It is a competitive process, but I believe that you have a strong application.

Your GPA and MCAT score are both within the average range for medical school applicants. Your extracurricular activities are also impressive, and your first-generation status and minority status will likely give you a boost in the admissions process.

However, it is important to remember that there are many other factors that medical schools consider when making admissions decisions. These include your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and your interview performance.

The best way to improve your chances of getting into medical school is to make sure that all of these components of your application are strong. Spend time crafting a personal statement that highlights your passion for medicine and your unique experiences. Ask your professors and mentors to write letters of recommendation that speak to your academic ability and your potential as a physician. And practice your interview skills so that you can make a great impression on the admissions committee.

Here is a list of schools that you may want to consider:
  • Harvard University
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • University of California--San Francisco
  • Stanford University
  • Duke University
  • University of Pennsylvania (Perelman)
  • Columbia University (College of Physicians and Surgeons)
  • New York University (Grossman School of Medicine)
  • University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
  • Washington University in St. Louis
These schools are all highly ranked and have excellent reputations. They also have strong programs in research and clinical care.
However, it is important to note that these schools are also very competitive. Your chances of getting into one of these schools will depend on your GPA, MCAT score, extracurricular activities, and personal statement.

It is also important to consider the location of the schools you apply to. If you want to practice medicine in a particular area, you may want to apply to schools in that area.

Finally, you should consider the cost of tuition and fees. Medical school is expensive, and you will need to factor in the cost of tuition and fees when making your decision.

I encourage you to do your research and visit schools that you are interested in. This will help you make an informed decision about where to apply to medical school.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
This is very funny tbh. We really are machines on repeat (just hopefully with better content). 😏

ChatGPT 4.0 response:
Congratulations on your achievements so far! Based on the information you provided, you have a strong profile for medical school. Your GPA of 3.8 and MCAT score of 515 are both above the national average for applicants who are accepted into medical school. Additionally, your extracurricular activities show a commitment to the medical field and research, which is highly valued by medical schools.

Your status as a first-generation college student and being a member of a minority group can also work in your favor during the admissions process. Medical schools are looking for diverse candidates who can bring unique perspectives and experiences to the field of medicine.

That being said, the medical school admissions process is competitive, and there are many factors that are considered in addition to GPA and MCAT scores. Admissions committees also look at letters of recommendation, personal statements, and interviews to get a holistic view of each applicant.

As for a list of schools that match your profile, there are many resources available to help you with this. You can start by researching medical schools that have a mission or focus on diversity and inclusion. You can also use online tools like the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) database to find schools that match your academic profile.

Ultimately, it's important to remember that getting into medical school is not solely about your grades and test scores. Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded individuals who have a passion for medicine and a dedication to serving others. If you stay focused on your goals and continue to pursue your interests in the medical field, you have a strong chance of getting into medical school.

As an AI language model, I cannot provide an exhaustive list of medical schools that match your profile, but I can suggest some factors you might consider when researching medical schools:
  1. Mission and values: Look for medical schools that have a mission or focus on diversity and inclusion, as these schools may be more likely to appreciate and value your background and experiences.
  2. Location: Consider where you would like to attend medical school and where you might want to practice medicine in the future. Look for schools that are located in areas where you have a connection, whether it be family, community, or professional.
  3. Curriculum: Look for schools that have a curriculum that aligns with your interests and goals in medicine. Some medical schools offer unique programs or tracks that may be of interest to you.
  4. Research opportunities: If you have an interest in research, look for schools that offer research opportunities or have a strong research program.
  5. Extracurricular activities: Consider what extracurricular activities are available at each school and how they align with your interests and goals.
Remember to use online tools like the AAMC's Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) database to help you narrow down your choices based on your academic profile. Also, consider speaking with your pre-med advisor or connecting with alumni of medical schools you are interested in to learn more about their experiences.