Af Hsps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfer

I'm busy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading these posts and it seems that it is too late to apply for a AF HSPS. Am I right in this assumption?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been reading these posts and it seems that it is too late to apply for a AF HSPS. Am I right in this assumption?

For the 4 years I think so, for the 3 years maybe not. You'll have to contact a recruiter to know for sure.

So I did contact my local recruiter and he said that there are no more 4 year HPSP but there are 3 year HPSP still left. I have heard stories from students that you can be called to duty while in dental school. Why in the world would they pay your way and then interrupt it in the middle? You could possible have to repeat a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there was WWIII, yeah, they might call you up. Until then, you are safe not to get called up because you are more useful as a future dentist than you would be as an untrained, non-specialized officer.

From what I've heard, you will never be called up until you graduate. This is something recruiters try to use to attract people, by saying "and if there ever were to be another draft, you'd be safe, and you would not be pulled out of school..."

My air force recruiter told me that no dentist has ever been called back while on reserve after serving their 4 year payback, is this true?

My air force recruiter told me that no dentist has ever been called back while on reserve after serving their 4 year payback, is this true?

While I dont know if anyone, esp. here, can actually confirm this...if you think about it....it really doesnt make much sense to call back someone who has already done their 4. If they need dentists..there should be enough (both people doin paybacks and lifers) spread out over the 3 branches to cover the need. So, if by some chance, this is causing you hesitation on whether or not take a scholarship...i wouldnt worry.

In the event of a full scale WW, you never know where they will need you at the most, so you cannot count that out if WWIII was to happen. But, unless that were to happen, there isn't a chance in hell they'd call you up.

There's too much uncertainty. My recruiter has told me something on the similar note..
Since Vietnam,
It's either 1) no AF dentist in reserve has been called back, or
2) no AF dentist has been killed while on the field.
so that would be a very very flat line if you plot it out for the last 50 years, if you believe it.:D

There's too much uncertainty. My recruiter has told me something on the similar note..
Since Vietnam,
It's either 1) no AF dentist in reserve has been called back, or
2) no AF dentist has been killed while on the field.
so that would be a very very flat line if you plot it out for the last 50 years, if you believe it.:D

There has not been a dentist killed in the field since Vietnam: True

No AF reserve dentist has been called back: ?

I am not too sure about this one. I know a couple of my faculty in D-School served (Army and Navy) as reservists. I can not say for sure that no AF dentists have been "called up" but I can say for sure that there have been AF reserve dentists over the past 5 years serve in the war. I don't know if they volunteered or what.

For those of you pre-dents wishing to apply for the AF 4 yr program, you may be in luck. I have some pretty good info showing that there are still some 4 yr HPSP scholarships available. I was recently reviewing the number of HPSP scholarship students who will graduate from '09-12 and it appears there are still openings. If you are an active duty AF dentist or a current HPSP scholarship student you should have access to the news letter that was just published.

This was published this week!