AF HPSP Bonus is BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigLou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other 4 year hpsp af people told by their recruiter that a bonus was in the works to be paid out in october? Well, I was, and according to AFIT that NEVER was even discussed, so either it was a miscommunication between hq and recruiters or was a flat out lie. Anyway, 20k isn't coming the way of any AF people, so have fun with your bonus money army and navy guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Any other 4 year hpsp af people told by their recruiter that a bonus was in the works to be paid out in october? Well, I was, and according to AFIT that NEVER was even discussed, so either it was a miscommunication between hq and recruiters or was a flat out lie. Anyway, 20k isn't coming the way of any AF people, so have fun with your bonus money army and navy guys!

dude you should've accelerated your life.

But, is 20K really worth it if you aren't in the branch that you want to be in for those four years after dental school. If that was a major factor in your decision then you might not be a worthy candidate for a commission in any branch of the US military.

Also, my recruiter never told me that there was going to be a bonus for the AF HPSP because they almost always fill their scholarship spots in the AF.

In no way am I taking a shot at the Navy or the Army, both of my parents served proudly in them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. I mean, why not Minot? Eielson is pretty sweet too. :p

But, is 20K really worth it if you aren't in the branch that you want to be in for those four years after dental school. If that was a major factor in your decision then you might not be a worthy candidate for a commission in any branch of the US military.

Wait, first of all, are you CURRENTLY A 4 YEAR COMMISSIONED OFFICER in the United States Air Force (You're not). Therefore, the thread was not addressed to you. Secondly, the entire point of the post was to inform those of us who have had some dialogue regarding this matter, that I had just received new information, as I am not the only person who was told this by a recruiter (I'm really happy for you that your recruiter was not misinformed, it makes my day). Regarding my decision to accept this scholarship, you are more than welcome to read my previous posts regarding this subject. So you talking out of your ass about my worthiness is not appreciated.
Figures a Penn State kid would misinterpret and chime in with a half-cocked, uninformed response. Looks like you are one of the thousands to ace JoePa's "Senility and Idiocy 101". Do yourself a favor and forget about dentistry and go into politics, you would make a perfect GOP VP.

Just saying what my recruiter told me. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just opining. No need to get defensive BigLou.

Maybe I'll meet you at Pitt on the 20th of October when I interview there.

Have a good one.

I was all set to go with the Navy HSCP and the Air Force came calling with an opening for the HPSP scholarship 2 weeks before my school started. At that time, My recruiter DID say he fully expects the AF to add the bonus this year trying to persuade me to go the AF route, which initally was my top choice. However, the more I learned about the Navy's HSCP and talked to some career Navy dentists I felt comfortable with the Navy and the HSCP blows the HPSP out of the water for my current situation in terms of compensation - especially if we get to take advantage of the new post 9/11 GI Bill starting next year - which I fully expect to be the case.

However, the more I learned about the Navy's HSCP and talked to some career Navy dentists I felt comfortable with the Navy and the HSCP blows the HPSP out of the water for my current situation in terms of compensation - especially if we get to take advantage of the new post 9/11 GI Bill starting next year - which I fully expect to be the case.

what's the current situation?

Last edited:
I just received an update last week and it looks like the AF is looking at paying the $20K next year. Not in stone yet, but being considered.

With or without the extra money, I think you've made a good decision. Spending some time in the military picking up you speed and polishing your skills is a great start. Its hard to beat the group practice atmosphere.

what's the current situation?

The HSCP is good for three reason if you have:
1) In-State tution
2) dependents(my wife and 3 month old daughter)
3) if you have prior military experience or plan to make military a career.

I have in-state at Louisville

My wife and daughter have used TRICARE exorbitantly over the past 3 months(obviously with pregnancy - not a dime out of my pocket)

I'm undecided on whether to make military a career or not, but my 4 years in d-school actually count towards pay and retirement purposes. That's still 4 free years of 'civilian life' if you want to take advantage of the military pension as a career.

The HSCP is good for three reason if you have:
1) In-State tution
2) dependents(my wife and 3 month old daughter)
3) if you have prior military experience or plan to make military a career.

I have in-state at Louisville

My wife and daughter have used TRICARE exorbitantly over the past 3 months(obviously with pregnancy - not a dime out of my pocket)

I'm undecided on whether to make military a career or not, but my 4 years in d-school actually count towards pay and retirement purposes. That's still 4 free years of 'civilian life' if you want to take advantage of the military pension as a career.

I pay in-state ~30k/year, and I still believe HPSP is a better deal unless you need family health insurance, or are planning on a Navy career. I was an econ major, and I've analyzed it with two different models, and HPSP wins for me in both cases.

You cannot retire 4 years earlier with HSCP, you just get 4 more years towards retirement pay scale. So you will still retire at the same time.

Also, I think you are mistaken that the new GI Bill will pay your dental school tuition. It pays a % of your states highest undergrad tuition, not graduate. It does not amount to that much. Here is the calculator to figure out what you will get: http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html . You will not get book stipend or living allowance, so subtract those. If you can find something that indicates the new GI Bill will pay a % based on dental school tuition, please post it, I have not been able to find anything.

I pay in-state ~30k/year, and I still believe HPSP is a better deal unless you need family health insurance, or are planning on a Navy career. I was an econ major, and I've analyzed it with two different models, and HPSP wins for me in both cases.

You cannot retire 4 years earlier with HSCP, you just get 4 more years towards retirement pay scale. So you will still retire at the same time.

Also, I think you are mistaken that the new GI Bill will pay your dental school tuition. It pays a % of your states highest undergrad tuition, not graduate. It does not amount to that much. Here is the calculator to figure out what you will get: http://www.gibill2008.org/calculator.html . You will not get book stipend or living allowance, so subtract those. If you can find something that indicates the new GI Bill will pay a % based on dental school tuition, please post it, I have not been able to find anything.

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cG9zdC05LzEx&p_li=&p_topview=1

1) My tuition is a little less, it's 20,000ish with 6,000 for instrument fees so it's a little less than yours.
2) You're mistaken about the retirement. I'm "ACTIVE DUTY" for all intents and purposes. My job is to do dental school right now. I'm currently 27 years old and will be able to retire at age 47 if I so choose to go that route.
3) Ne GI Bill will cover 60% Fall-2nd year, 70% Spring-2nd year, 80% Fall-3rd year, 90% Spring 3rd year and 100% of tuition and fees my 4th year.

The post 9/11 GI Bill covers the highest in-state tuition of for your state of both undergraduate AND Graduate school. Dental School falls under the graduate school realm at my school. It also states that it will cover licensing and certification which I am assuming means NBDE I and II fees.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cG9zdC05LzEx&p_li=&p_topview=1

1) My tuition is a little less, it's 20,000ish with 6,000 for instrument fees so it's a little less than yours.
2) You're mistaken about the retirement. I'm "ACTIVE DUTY" for all intents and purposes. My job is to do dental school right now. I'm currently 27 years old and will be able to retire at age 47 if I so choose to go that route.
3) Ne GI Bill will cover 60% Fall-2nd year, 70% Spring-2nd year, 80% Fall-3rd year, 90% Spring 3rd year and 100% of tuition and fees my 4th year.

The post 9/11 GI Bill covers the highest in-state tuition of for your state of both undergraduate AND Graduate school. Dental School falls under the graduate school realm at my school. It also states that it will cover licensing and certification which I am assuming means NBDE I and II fees.

I'm really not trying to argue or anything, I want to figure this out because I'm literally days away from commissioning, and I want to get in the best program. My recruiter is making calls as we speak and she's pretty sharp.

I went to San Diego last summer courtesy of the Navy and according to a Captain (/Dentist) I met there that gave the presentation, the 4 years in school counts for payscale only, not retirement eligibility. I will research this further. Certainly you seem to be career oriented though, and even in my situation that would put HSCP over the top.

I followed your link and found nothing conclusive about the GI Bill. On the website I linked to there was words to the effect of "your states most expensive undergraduate school". What you're suggesting kind of seems to good to be true. But it very well may be true. I need some way to verify it.:confused:

I'm really not trying to argue or anything, I want to figure this out because I'm literally days away from commissioning, and I want to get in the best program. My recruiter is making calls as we speak and she's pretty sharp.

I went to San Diego last summer courtesy of the Navy and according to a Captain (/Dentist) I met there that gave the presentation, the 4 years in school counts for payscale only, not retirement eligibility. I will research this further. Certainly you seem to be career oriented though, and even in my situation that would put HSCP over the top.

I followed your link and found nothing conclusive about the GI Bill. On the website I linked to there was words to the effect of "your states most expensive undergraduate school". What you're suggesting kind of seems to good to be true. But it very well may be true. I need some way to verify it.:confused:
I showed you that link because it clearly stated undergraduate AND graduate education is coevered by the GI Bill, and through m research and recruiter as well as talking with other current Navy docs the time-in COUNTS towards retirement. I'm IN THE HSCP currently. I'm ACTIVE DUTY. When I go to a base, I have a CAC card, I'm recognized by other military personnel as ACTIVE DUTY. This time in school DOES count towards retirement, because I'm ACTIVE DUTY. My recruiter has 29 years in the NAVY and been doing the recruiting for over 3-4 years. He knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:
I showed you that link because it clearly stated undergraduate AND graduate education is coevered by the GI Bill, and through m research and recruiter as well as talking with other current Navy docs the time-in COUNTS towards retirement. I'm IN THE HSCP currently. I'm ACTIVE DUTY. When I go to a base, I have a CAC card, I'm recognized by other military personnel as ACTIVE DUTY. This time in school DOES count towards retirement, because I'm ACTIVE DUTY. My recruiter has 29 years in the NAVY and been doing the recruiting for over 3-4 years. He knows what he's talking about.

Yes obviously you can use the GI Bill for graduate education. I believe the scale is based off your states most expensive UNDERGRADUATE institution. Please show me something that says it will pay for a percentage of your states most expensive GRADUATE university.

I also agree that you are active duty and the time counts. However, I had a Navy dental corps recruiting CAPTAIN tell me you still have to do 20 years after graduation, so forgive me if I give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't really care, I have no interest in spending the next 20 years moving around.

Yes obviously you can use the GI Bill for graduate education. I believe the scale is based off your states most expensive UNDERGRADUATE institution. Please show me something that says it will pay for a percentage of your states most expensive GRADUATE university.

I also agree that you are active duty and the time counts. However, I had a Navy dental corps recruiting CAPTAIN tell me you still have to do 20 years after graduation, so forgive me if I give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't really care, I have no interest in spending the next 20 years moving around.

Are you planning on making the military a career?

I have no interest in spending the next 20 years moving around.

Who knows, but thats how I feel right now. When I went to San Diego and met 5 captains, I really couldn't see myself in those shoes. They had all been forced to move around a lot while their kids grew up.

My recruiter called the VA today. Just as I suspected, they told him the %'s used for the new GI Bill are based on your states highest undergraduate university, no matter where you go to school or what program you are in. You may want to double check your info.

My recruiter called the VA today. Just as I suspected, they told him the %'s used for the new GI Bill are based on your states highest undergraduate university, no matter where you go to school or what program you are in. You may want to double check your info.

Well, I guess that's like the HSCP's 20,000 sign on bonus then...

I'm tired of watching this back and forth....

WITHOUT A DOUBT, his time and mine and all the other HSCP's out there WILL RETIRE 4 YEARS EARLIER THAN 4 YEAR HPSP's. Please plug THAT into your economic analysis and let me know how it works out :rolleyes: (Keeping in mind every year's pay is 4 years ahead in pay bracket). So much bad information is out there and I'm tired of it getting spread around...I'm done. Back to studying.

so how does this all work out with undergrad loans? The scholarships take care of the dental school and the gi takes care of what ever is left for schooling (undergrad...)?

so how does this all work out with undergrad loans? The scholarships take care of the dental school and the gi takes care of what ever is left for schooling (undergrad...)?

GI take care of future schooling. You can pass it on to dependents up to 15 years after you separate from the military.