AF check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hattrack04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a notice from the AF saying that they have deposited $400 into my bank account. It says the money is for uniforms. Yet the COT website says that I'll be spending approx. $1500 on uniforms and clothing.:eek: I guess every little bit helps.... Anybody else get this same notice??

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting... I just got sworn in on Friday so I haven't gotten anything yet. Weird though, $400 seems like a random amount. Did the notice come via email?

Unlike the enlisted folk who get all of their clothing issued free---and for very good reason---officers receive a one-time only initial "uniform allowance" of $400.00.

Sadly, that 400 is to offset what will most likely end up being closer to 2 grand than to 1500. Although there are some ways to do the whole thing cheaper (talk to someone about renting mess dress for example at COT)

Alas, being an officer has its perks but freebie clothes ain't one of them....

Maybe catch-ya at COT this summer.....

Mab
USAFR FN46fx

Members don't see this ad :)
When do we need to purchase them? Do we need them during school?

I also received the check and though I've already been sworn in, I'm doing the 3-year scholarship program so my benefits don't kick in until May of this year.

KOM, are you in dental school already or are you an incoming student? Can you accept a 3-year HPSP as an incoming new student while attending a 4yr school? My recruiter told me I can't, unless it's a three year school, or for someone who is already D1.

I also received the check and though I've already been sworn in, I'm doing the 3-year scholarship program so my benefits don't kick in until May of this year.

I'm a first year dental student.

I'm guessing that you wont be going to COT until you graduate.....so you wont need any uniforms until then......

Thanks Navy and KOM.

I have been wondering about this and your post makes a lot of sense.

My mom called me and I got the notice that my $400 has been deposited too. Now I olnly have to come up with $1500 or so more...

Welcome to the AF! That's the way it is, and that $400 lasts you for your entire career--not just as a Capt--but, the bright side is you don't have to buy every uniform--like Mess Dress etc, and, unlike the civilian fashion world--you wear this stuff forever. So, as you noted, every little bit helps!:thumbup:

My mom called me and I got the notice that my $400 has been deposited too. Now I olnly have to come up with $1500 or so more...

Awesome! I haven't gotten the check yet. How long would you say it took for AFIT to contact you after getting commissioned? I'm still wondering when I'll be able to do COT and hopefully they'll be able to tell me which dates are full already.

Where are you guys getting this 1500$??? That's insane... Ohh...thats right they want you to buy the fancy stuff, I forgot. If you want to save some cash do what Miss Mab said RENT THE fancy stuff. First off, you don't need a formal dress uniform even though they may tell you to buy it, you might never use it again.......Not unless you plan on going for life and plan on using it throughout your career (you usually only use it once so you can rent one, just like a tux for prom). And that will save you a lot of money!!! The formal wear is very expensive, it eats up a lot of that 1500$. So if you want to save don't get it.

Where are you guys getting this 1500$??? That's insane... Ohh...thats right they want you to buy the fancy stuff, I forgot. If you want to save some cash do what Miss Mab said RENT THE fancy stuff. First off, you don't need a formal dress uniform even though they may tell you to buy it, you might never use it again.......Not unless you plan on going for life and plan on using it throughout your career (you usually only use it once so you can rent one, just like a tux for prom). And that will save you a lot of money!!! The formal wear is very expensive, it eats up a lot of that 1500$. So if you want to save don't get it.

Where can you rent the "fancy stuff"?? at COT? or do you have to do it before?

I was wondering.. for military uniform purchase, can you use this gsaadvantage.org website? It seems like they require some sort of gov't ID number. Thanks!

Ask around at COT hopefully someone will be able to tell you where you can rent one. Usually there is somewhere local to rent military attire.