AF boards what is the hold up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason why it takes 2 weeks to get the results from the boards? I'm kinda agitated at this delay.:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

arent they meeting again in feb? are you still waiting for the result from the jan meeting?

arent they meeting again in feb? are you still waiting for the result from the jan meeting?

Yup, I haven't been told of the results. The recruiter told me that the results are expected to be released on February 1st.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
i spoke with the af recruiter a few days ago and he said something about the board has already met near the end of jan and something about AF not needing anymore hpsp applicants for now, he said that they would meet again in august. he said there would be no problems with me getting it that late though. anyone else get a similar response from Air force recruiter?

If I'm not accepted this round, I doubt I'll end up doing it. Maybe I'll start my Navy app...

Well if the slots are all taken up then I'll have to go with the army.

What ever happened to the matrix system? I should have been matrixed in!

I also spoke to my AF recruiter and he told me that at this time they were not going to have boards in Feb. and March, just this last one that was in January. However, he did tell me that they were lobbying to have at least one more round of boards and to also get more scholarships available.

I've seen one person on sdn who has said they were told that they are 13th on a waiting list. Has anyone else heard anything back?

I've just talked to my recruiter. He said that they expect 15 people to turn their offers down so that 15 alternates will be offered scholarships. He just didn't say whether they'll be 3 yrs or 4 yrs.

I wish my recruiter would answer/return my phone calls, I still don't know the status of my application.

Bug him some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I know this is a big issue right now as many people are going through the same thing I am with this alternate list. I talked to my recruiter and he said he feels I have a good shot of being called up from the alternates, however are any of you experiencing similar situations and filling out FAFSAs just in case?

Or should I be doing that anyway, even if I were to get the scholarship?
I'm calling Pitt's financial aid lady tomorrow, I just wanted to see if any one else had any thoughts on this.

Hey Guys,

I know this is a big issue right now as many people are going through the same thing I am with this alternate list. I talked to my recruiter and he said he feels I have a good shot of being called up from the alternates, however are any of you experiencing similar situations and filling out FAFSAs just in case?

Or should I be doing that anyway, even if I were to get the scholarship?
I'm calling Pitt's financial aid lady tomorrow, I just wanted to see if any one else had any thoughts on this.

You should fill out the Fafsa regardless, because IMO you can take out the 8500 subsidized loan each year and put it in a money market accout around 5% interest and then pay it off after you've earned some money off the govenrment. It's the least you could do after they begin to tax the hell out of you once you get out in private practice.

You should fill out the Fafsa regardless, because IMO you can take out the 8500 subsidized loan each year and put it in a money market accout around 5% interest and then pay it off after you've earned some money off the govenrment. It's the least you could do after they begin to tax the hell out of you once you get out in private practice.

That'd be a ton of hassle for <2000 dollars. Go for it tho.

8500 X .05 APR = 425

Approximately X 4.... you get the idea.

That'd be a ton of hassle for <2000 dollars. Go for it tho.

8500 X .05 APR = 425

Approximately X 4.... you get the idea.

Hey 2 grand is 2 grand, and honestly, it's not that hard to get the subsidized loan money(maybe a couple hours) and it's not that hard to set up and manage a money market account(maybe a handful of hours)...I like getting paid hundreds of dollars/hour. That's nice.

Actually if the interest is compounded it would be a lot more than 2 grand. But is it even possible to get approved for those loans if you have the scholarship?

Actually if the interest is compounded it would be a lot more than 2 grand. But is it even possible to get approved for those loans if you have the scholarship?

Yeah, you can, my friend who's graduating has done it all 4 years.

I was told by my financial aid officer and a couple others that we couldn't get any aid if we receive an HPSP scholarship.

Smills - could you elaborate on how he's still able to get alternative federal aid? I would love it if we could.

I'm doing a 3 year scholarship so it would make sense for me to take out all the subsidized loans I could and pay off my 1st year Grad Plus and unsubsidized loans at the higher interest rates.

I was told by my financial aid officer and a couple others that we couldn't get any aid if we receive an HPSP scholarship.

Smills - could you elaborate on how he's still able to get alternative federal aid? I would love it if we could.

I'm doing a 3 year scholarship so it would make sense for me to take out all the subsidized loans I could and pay off my 1st year Grad Plus and unsubsidized loans at the higher interest rates.

I'll ask him the next time I see him, I should see him at the latest on Sunday. I'll get back to you on that.

Give me your name and his contact info. I'll tell him that I will gladly hook you up with a Navy recruiter if he wants to ignore you. I know you want to do AF, but if you put a fire under their butt it can get things going quicker a lot of the time.

I appreciate the offer but I genuinely think my recuiter has no interest in getting me a scholarship. I sometimes can't believe he is even part of the armed forces, his work ethics are terrible. You would know this, is there a way to talk to his superiors to report him?

I found a Navy recruiter that is more than happy to help me with my app.

Can anyone verify that you can take out federal loans even with an HPSP scholarship? Thanks.

Finally heard from my recruiter and I am "in the low tees" on the alternate list. We'll see what happens.

Finally heard from my recruiter and I am "in the low tees" on the alternate list. We'll see what happens.
Low "teens"?

I'm thirteen, does that make you 14th or 19th? Not sure by what you mean low.

That's funny, I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but my recruiter told me I was 13 on the alternate list too back when I applied for the 4 year scholarship. While I'm sure it varies from year to year...just fyi, I wasn't picked up that year.

Low "teens"?

I'm thirteen, does that make you 14th or 19th? Not sure by what you mean low.

Your guess is as good as mine, he didn't say. But I'm guessing low teens is lower than 19.

That's funny, I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but my recruiter told me I was 13 on the alternate list too back when I applied for the 4 year scholarship. While I'm sure it varies from year to year...just fyi, I wasn't picked up that year.
Interesting, however, I am currently looking at the NAVY as a back-up to the AF. I prefer the AF since my dad did Air Force, but more than anything, I just want to serve my country as a Dentist and gain some incredible experience and education that I couldn't get in private practice.

I just want to serve my country as a Dentist and gain some incredible experience and education that I couldn't get in private practice.

I totally agree. Has anyone else applying for AF 4 year contacted a Navy recruiter. I flat out asked my AF guy if I should talk with the Navy and he told me that I was #12 (Sorry Smills) and expected that I would get called up. However, I am a bit of a skeptic so I feel that he may not want me to contact Navy just because he would lose a recruit.

I wrote a letter to my state senator lobbying for more funds to be allocated to the HPSP, I'm sure it was a waste of time but you never know, crazier things have happened.

My recruiter told me that if you are in the top 15 in the alternate list you have an excellent chance of getting a scholarship. Of course he could be just saying to keep me from writing them off.:rolleyes:

My recruiter told me that if you are in the top 15 in the alternate list you have an excellent chance of getting a scholarship. Of course he could be just saying to keep me from writing them off.:rolleyes:

That surely wasn't what happened with KOM. Things like this can vary greatly year from year, and if it's me I wouldn't put my 1 egg in this basket since I can make 3 here ;). I hope everyone who wants to join and serve will get the chance!

I'd say look into the ARMY/NAVY if you're an alternate for the AF...more as a CYA situation. We'll find out in May if we get the AF or not, but if not then you can fall back onto the ARMY or NAVY scholarships available there.

Well I just swore in today with the AF and I'm just glad I applied early. It was actually really brief. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. The officer who swore me in was really thrilled when I told him about the HPSP (I'm not sure if he knew it even existed for Dentists). I do hope that the alternates that truly want to serve get in. I'm aiming for the May 27th COT program.

Well I just swore in today with the AF and I'm just glad I applied early. It was actually really brief. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. The officer who swore me in was really thrilled when I told him about the HPSP (I'm not sure if he knew it even existed for Dentists). I do hope that the alternates that truly want to serve get in. I'm aiming for the May 27th COT program.

Congrats!

I'm fairly sure that's incorrect that you can't take out any additional loans.

Also I am very interested in repaying PLUS loans with federal stafford loans... how would I begin to do that?

I'm fairly sure that's incorrect that you can't take out any additional loans.

Also I am very interested in repaying PLUS loans with federal stafford loans... how would I begin to do that?

I talked to my buddy again, and he re-affirmed that he HAS indeed taken out subsidized loans of 8500 while being on the AF HPSP. And that anyone should be able to do that as far as he knows. He's never heard of anyone on the scholarship being denied additional loan funds.

I'm on the AF HPSP and I get student loans. 8500 subsidized and the rest unsubsidized. You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting the loans.

I'm on the AF HPSP and I get student loans. 8500 subsidized and the rest unsubsidized. You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting the loans.

That's great news.

Now all I have to do is go fight with the financial aid office about getting the loans when the time comes. I don't understand why they say I can't take it...

I talked to my buddy again, and he re-affirmed that he HAS indeed taken out subsidized loans of 8500 while being on the AF HPSP. And that anyone should be able to do that as far as he knows. He's never heard of anyone on the scholarship being denied additional loan funds.

Thanks for checking on that. Appreciate it.

I'll be there! :) Congrats on your scholarship!

Boo go for the June 30 - August 1!!

Boo go for the June 30 - August 1!!

That session has been filled for quite some time. I swore in on Dec. 17 and this is when my recruiter told me June-Aug 1 was full.

So I just told by my recruiter that the COTs for May is full and that all of them are full up until May of next year.

That seems weird that they are filled up. I wonder if that means you wont have to do it till after graduation? Might end up saving you money if what people said is true, that if your on active duty your uniforms are paid for.

So I just told by my recruiter that the COTs for May is full and that all of them are full up until May of next year.

Fact is that the recruiters aren't in charge of that. Contacted mine today and he said that you are issued those orders directly and that the recruiters have no way of knowing. SO if your recruiter told you that I'd take it with a grain of salt to say the least.

It's likely that there are plenty of spots in COT left... or perhaps there's a different "quota" for dent hpspers compared to med hpspers...

Ok. So do the orders about when and where you go to COT come from AFIT or what? Could any Dental "HSPSers" answer this one? I take everything my recruiter says with a grain of salt btw.

I have a feeling that things may not work out for us alternates.

I called my recruiter and he said I am #7 now on the list.