*AEGD/GPR Interview Thread 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on how the residency program at the following places are??

University of Alabama at Birmingham?

Mt. Sinai hospital?

New York methodist hospital in brooklyn?

Kingsbrook Jewish medical center in brooklyn?

Washington DC VA?

and, Can anyone tell me the difference in experience at a university hospital vs. a VA hospital??

:) thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else notice this? I wonder how it will affect the named AEGD programs.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2775

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2776

The defendants are identified in the suit, as amended, as New York Lutheran Medical Center, The State University Hospital at Stony Brook, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, The University of Rochester Medical Centers, University of California at San Francisco, University of California at Los Angeles, University of Southern California, University of Florida, University of Iowa, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, University of Nebraska, The State University of New Jersey, Columbia University School of Dental Medicine, New York University, State University of New York at Stony Brook, State University of New York at Buffalo, Ohio State University, Case Western Reserve University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, Baylor University, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas at San Antonio, Virginia Commonwealth University and West Virginia University.

Did anyone receive interview invite for Flushing GPR? When do they usually begin to interview? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh Oh. Nothing good can come from this ...

Did anyone else notice this? I wonder how it will affect the named AEGD programs.

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2775

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=2776

The defendants are identified in the suit, as amended, as New York Lutheran Medical Center, The State University Hospital at Stony Brook, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, The University of Rochester Medical Centers, University of California at San Francisco, University of California at Los Angeles, University of Southern California, University of Florida, University of Iowa, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, University of Nebraska, The State University of New Jersey, Columbia University School of Dental Medicine, New York University, State University of New York at Stony Brook, State University of New York at Buffalo, Ohio State University, Case Western Reserve University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, Baylor University, University of Texas at Houston, University of Texas at San Antonio, Virginia Commonwealth University and West Virginia University.

You guys care to post your stats while you applied?

Hello guys! I got an interview for a GPR program. I would appreciate if anyone of you could give me some idea on what do they generally do on the interview day. I will have to fly from a foreign country. What type of questions do they ask?

Thanks much

Hello guys! I got an interview for a GPR program. I would appreciate if anyone of you could give me some idea on what do they generally do on the interview day. I will have to fly from a foreign country. What type of questions do they ask?

Thanks much

It all depends on the program. They vary a lot.

In general, you can expect to be there all day. Normally they would take you on a brief tour of their facilities/clinic, give you (and other candidates) a brief introduction and background presentation of what kind of work they do there, what sort of applicant they are looking for, and what you as a future resident should expect of them.
Typically, lunch with the residents follows (ask them everything you need to know), followed by separate interviews with key faculty members.
The nice programs will even take you out that evening for a social event/gathering.
Mine have been fun more than anything so far. Nothing weird, but trust me ... weird is out there all over the place.

Congratulations and good luck.

It all depends on the program. They vary a lot.

In general, you can expect to be there all day. Normally they would take you on a brief tour of their facilities/clinic, give you (and other candidates) a brief introduction and background presentation of what kind of work they do there, what sort of applicant they are looking for, and what you as a future resident should expect of them.
Typically, lunch with the residents follows (ask them everything you need to know), followed by separate interviews with key faculty members.
The nice programs will even take you out that evening for a social event/gathering.
Mine have been fun more than anything so far. Nothing weird, but trust me ... weird is out there all over the place.

Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks NileBDS. Appreciate it.

Messed up a very important interview!!!

What happened ?

Thanks for asking. My answers were really vague. Also, I was too soft and polite. Hey, if they like you , do they ever say something like," look forward to seeing you" or something of the similar connotation.

hey everyone ... what are the NBDE I score ranges of people gettin AEGD and GPR interviews?

Hello !
I am a Venezuelan dentist. I wanted to know if the GPR and AEGD programs accepts international students. Also, whats the difference between the GPR and AEGD?

THANK YOU ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

This has been known about for several years when the feds started to review programs. The problems was some universities had long establiched programs... just renamed them as hospital prorgams on paper ... so the hospital collected GME.. paid the residents... and shared the profit with the university... It appeared to be win for the resident(they got paid) and win for the hospital and school (they split the profit),

The problem is in the interupation... the feds said that programs cant switch like that and it needs to be stronger than paper only.

It has already lead to some universities cutting/ending payment to residents (was for all programs not just AEGD), and some having to close programs.

Our hospital did not want to do it because they feared that this would happen, even though our plans was to have the Univ Grad students/residents rotate through the hospital.. and our residents spend some days at the university.. well we never started it.

The amounts stated are lower than the real #s...

This has been discussed at ADEA(Amer Dental Educ Assoc) for the last few years.

This has been known about for several years when the feds started to review programs. The problems was some universities had long establiched programs... just renamed them as hospital prorgams on paper ... so the hospital collected GME.. paid the residents... and shared the profit with the university... It appeared to be win for the resident(they got paid) and win for the hospital and school (they split the profit),

The problem is in the interupation... the feds said that programs cant switch like that and it needs to be stronger than paper only.

It has already lead to some universities cutting/ending payment to residents (was for all programs not just AEGD), and some having to close programs.

Our hospital did not want to do it because they feared that this would happen, even though our plans was to have the Univ Grad students/residents rotate through the hospital.. and our residents spend some days at the university.. well we never started it.

Any GPR positions open Dr. Arm???

Any GPR positions open Dr. Arm???

Hello,
Since we are not in the match, and we try to blend the program... We are now down to the last two spots being offered to those we interviewed.
Trying to blend from different programs is harder than just waiting for the match... and we lost several good people who wanted to wait for the match.
But we keep it ethical, and slowliy choice... by this week we should be finished

But who knows what happens,,,, people always can change their minds... and this also happened when we were in the match... some one changed their minds 6 weeks after the match and contracts... such if life.

I spoke with our committee, since we give each person a week to make a decision and if they want to come, to ethically withdraw from the match...
since we are close to the holidays and the match... we are freezing the selection of the 10th resident until after the match to be far to everybody...

at that time we will review all applications, including new aplicants.

Hey! Another rejection (#2). I must be a real strong candidate...lol.

Merry F'n Christmas, huh.

I think it all depends on where you want to go. Somewhere like San Antonio VA is really competitive and you need to be top 10 in your class probably. St Petersburg is also really competitive.

You can get a spot at other places if you really look though. I'm sure you can find openings after match as well.

A lot of times I think you find places because they have a history with your dental school so you get in on connections rather than board scores, gpa, etc.

Hey! Another rejection (#2). I must be a real strong candidate...lol.

Merry F'n Christmas, huh.

no residency program is ever filled... until the people show.... many chances remain.... first there is still the match.... then the post match rush...

then for all those late deciders... some programs hold spots for them... for new applicants...

Hey guys, i have been reading these posts about "general residency programs" and "AEGD" but I'm confused with the difference between these two programs?
Does the General Practice Residency give you a better knowledge of dentistry after you obtain your DDS?
Which of these programs is better if you just going to be a general practicioner?
Thanks guys

Does anyone have any inside info about any of these programs?
-LICH
-Queens Hospital
-NY Hospital Queens
-Flushing Hospital
-Montefiore
-Brooklyn Hospital

Thanks!!:luck:

Does anyone have any inside info about any of these programs?
-LICH
-Queens Hospital
-NY Hospital Queens
-Flushing Hospital
-Montefiore
-Brooklyn Hospital

Thanks!!:luck:
i don't know about the first 4, but Montefiore is a solid program. good volume of pts and descent experience.
Brooklyn Hospital? better location than Montefiore, program with a potentials. a lot of implant restorations from what i hear. but the hospital is going thru changes, hoefully +ve
changes. i turned down an interviewed for their OMS program because of schedule conflict but my friend who actually did interviewed was impressed.

HI...Does anyone have any information on the GPR Program at Kings County Hospital in Brookyn, NY? Thanks!

Hey, I am choosing whether to rank the Portland VA or the Denver VA as 1 or 2... I saw that you know a bit about the Portland VA... During the interview they couldn't give me averages of procedures the residents have done... From what you know, is there enough experience with crown/bridge/implant restorations?? I understand they didn't seem to like placing implants... Also do the residents get enough clinical lectures with relevant new techniques and procedures??
Thanks for any advice

i don't know about the first 4, but Montefiore is a solid program. good volume of pts and descent experience.
Brooklyn Hospital? better location than Montefiore, program with a potentials. a lot of implant restorations from what i hear. but the hospital is going thru changes, hoefully +ve
changes. i turned down an interviewed for their OMS program because of schedule conflict but my friend who actually did interviewed was impressed.

If you have to choose between Montefiore and Stony Brook.... which one you would prefer to go to. I have to make a decision on my ranking by thursday night. Thanks

If you have to choose between Montefiore and Stony Brook.... which one you would prefer to go to. I have to make a decision on my ranking by thursday night. Thanks

both are good programs... big difference is location

hi, has anyone got AEGD interview from Bu ? It doesn't participate in Match.I haven't got any news of them, even rejection! the deadline for PASS was Dec. 1st.

they are still doing interviews but most of the applicants have been selected already

I submitted my pass application to programs before i applied to MATCH. My question is how will the programs know what my match code is if it wasnt on my pass application?

Good luck everyone. I hope everyone remembered to certify their list ! Apparently that's a big deal to them ... :rolleyes:

I submitted my pass application to programs before i applied to MATCH. My question is how will the programs know what my match code is if it wasnt on my pass application?

You need to e-mail the programs directly and ask them about that. I know a couple of programs had us fill out an "update" form, which includes your permanent address, phone, e-mail AND match code.
Aren't programs done ranking applicants ?

The match has a search feature where you can enter the applicant's name and their number will pop up, if they have one. The rank order lists were due in last Friday (Jan. 11) by 11:59pm. Hope you got yours in.

Aren't there some perio, prosth, ortho, and university-based pedo programs that still collect GME funding? If so, any idea why only the AEGD programs were named in the lawsuit?

Can anyone please post unmatched gpr spots in CA? I would like to know but i don't have access to it. Thank you.

Avoid this program for a year or so. :thumbup:

Hello I´m very interested in doing the AEGD programe in the University of Connecticut, anyone knows anything about it??? thanksssss

Can any current or past residents confirm or deny this claim?
I'd really like to know if this review is accurate or not...
Thanks

Just little opinion on Columbia GPR..

Director...the nicest and coolest man alive!

BUT program is there to support Oral surgery program ---that's pretty much it. Oral surgery will dictate GPR life.... OS will even cancel your rotations such as ER or Anesthesia because they need you take more calls for OS.

Program :
1) on-call every third night for Oral Surgery, you answer your pager as " Oral Surgery resident"- there is no seperation as OS call vs dental call...you take care of them all...

2) you do all inpatient care for Oral sugery when you are on-call. You will be taking most of weekend calls for Oral surgery. They will arrange it so GPRs are doing most of weekend calls.
- expect to take all holiday on-calls... OS will tell you that's how the schedule came out to be...

3) You even get paged to transport OS inpatients from hospital floor to dental clinic for x-ray.

4) Since you are on-call so much, you have very few clinic days a month to see GP patients. ( WHEN YOU ARE ON-CALL, OS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU SEE YOUR PATIENTS )

5) Patient pool : you will see the worst patients in the dental school meaning, one with mulitple medical problems, psych problems and most annoying patient no one in the dental school want to see. Most of them need just cleaning or some restoration... I heard one guy did a ONE Root canal entire yr.

6) you will be known as " Oral surgery's Bitch" in the dental school.

7) you do morning rounds with OS everyday at 7 am...you will get pimped at rounds and their famous saying " they're just GPRs...."

Please remember there is reason why they ususally don't match anyone and one or two drops out during the yr.

If you need further proof, when you interview, ask AEGD residents...they will tell you some horror stories.. AEGD and GPRs share same room so AEGDs know how GPRs get yelled at ALL THE FREAKING TIME by OS attendings!!!

DON't BE fooled by the name : COlumbia Medical Center.... you will be miserable for 365 days...

Don't be fooled by OS resident there who will tell you that you will get awesome OS experience...their program SUCKS and there is not much to learn from ... THEY will not allow you go to OR with them...since their resident need experience too...
OS will NOT write you good letter of recommendation...since they don't want other OS program to find out GPR takes more OS calls, more inpatient cares, ER consult than OS 1st yrs....

SO DON"T GO to COLUMBIA GPRs!!! I hope no one matches there so OS can learn GPRs are not their bitch and unless OS change how they treat GPRs, no one will come and there will be NO ONE to take call!!!!

GOod luck people!

Has any one interviewed for the GPR in Gainesville? Just wondering what to expect as far as questions they may ask. Any advice would be helpful as well. My interview is next week!

HI;
i gather u r from Nova. what are their criteria of selection for AEGD international applicants also some say they just invite for interviews to mostly all the applicants? is that true?
thx i wait anxiously for your reply.