AEGD/GPR for 3rds/implants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I am looking for some solid AEGD/GPR programs where I would be able to get a decent amount of wisdom tooth extraction experience, IV sedation, and implant placement experience? Ideally I'd like this to be somewhere in the south, midwest, Phoenix/Colorado/Utah, or mid-atlantic states.
Not too interested in molar endo or programs that are associated with a university (it's fine if it's with a school as long as I don't have to be a TA or deal with slow dental school logistics again).

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN!

I am looking for some solid AEGD/GPR programs where I would be able to get a decent amount of wisdom tooth extraction experience, IV sedation, and implant placement experience? Ideally I'd like this to be somewhere in the south, midwest, Phoenix/Colorado/Utah, or mid-atlantic states.
Not too interested in molar endo or programs that are associated with a university (it's fine if it's with a school as long as I don't have to be a TA or deal with slow dental school logistics again).

Any suggestions?

Have you thought of just doing the private practice route and do some weekend hands-on/in-office courses in IV sedation, 3rds, and implants? Might even come out ahead financially going this route and know yourself better clinically in terms of limitations. You wouldn't want to do sedation on ASA 4+ anyway (risk v. rewards is lopsided). The downside of not specializing is that you may not be able to charge as high of an insurance fee for 3rds, although I know many surgeons will charge lots of stuff like ext, IV, graft, membrane, suturing, etc... probably end up doing the same as those surgeons. Anyway, just another route to explore.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you thought of just doing the private practice route and do some weekend hands-on/in-office courses in IV sedation, 3rds, and implants? Might even come out ahead financially going this route and know yourself better clinically in terms of limitations. You wouldn't want to do sedation on ASA 4+ anyway (risk v. rewards is lopsided). The downside of not specializing is that you may not be able to charge as high of an insurance fee for 3rds, although I know many surgeons will charge lots of stuff like ext, IV, graft, membrane, suturing, etc... probably end up doing the same as those surgeons. Anyway, just another route to explore.

I was going to apply to a few GPRs, but I ended up not submitting my applications once I learned that a lot of these hospital-based programs focus on the medically-compromised patient populations. While it will be really cool to learn all of that, I don’t think it’s going to benefit my future as a GP as I will most likely never see those types of patients in private practice. The only GPRs that are probably worth attending are VA programs as they will offer implants training. I think I will be better off starting in a DSO or a private practice and taking CE courses like crazy.

The following programs all offer sedation and place more than 50 implants in a year (VA's aren't gonna do many thirds).

Salt lake City VA
San Antonio VA
Foundry AEGD
Augusta GPR
Long Beach VA
Birmingham VA

Reactions: 1 users
Is there much 3rds CE that is very good though (haven't heard of many of these opportunities)?
Also, are there any AEGD/GPRs where there is a mix of implant and 3rds experience?