Advised to withdraw

• Thread starter Deleted member 237747
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 237747

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am being asked to withdraw saying that any F on my transcript will ruin my chances of readmission to another school and school may not allow me to repeat the year also.I had to repeat D1. I am D2 running 2.3 GPA. Does anyone has experience to get back to dental school after dismissal. So far I don't have a F but trend is downward
Why don’t you change the trend?

Reactions: 1 user
Its a lot of stuff. I can hardly keep up.I am barely surviving. At this cost really worth it? But I lost 20's... of my life. I am guessing advisors like to encourage students to drop out to avoid any lawsuits against schools in my situation - that I am not interested in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be a Negative Nancy here, but if you were another dental school would you accept someone with your history? There are more than enough qualified applicants applying that don’t carry your baggage. Any other school is going to look at you as very high risk. I think you’ve had your chance, so you better do all you can to stay in. And what grounds do you have to sue the school when you yourself admit it’s because YOU can’t keep up?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 7 users
If you dont have an F, why would they boot you?

Reactions: 1 users
Dental school isn't for everybody.

Just because you don't complete the program doesn't mean you didn't "succeed."

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
If you haven't received an F and have been passing all your classes thus far, then why would they want you to withdrawal?? Is this just a scare tactic to make you study harder?

I saw a few students both in my class and in other classes who worked their butts off to get into dental school but for some reason or other weren't able to hack it. They repeated D1 or D2 and then I didn't see them again for a while or ever. I had a classmate who switched careers well into his D3. I had another who made it to D3 but couldn't grasp the concept behind infection control in the operatory and was let go. Spit happens and things don't always work out how you planned. If you're struggling this much right now, it's not a good sign that things will get better, at least without you needing way more time than is typical. Unfortunately, dental school is not the most nurturing environment for those who need extra time.

If you haven't received an F and have been passing all your classes thus far, then why would they want you to withdrawal?? Is this just a scare tactic to make you study harder?

Quite a few schools will dismiss you if you fail a course. Mine included.

The advice to withdraw isn't a scare tactic. It's actually good advice.

If you fail out, almost no school will allow you to transfer and you'd have to start the admission process all over again. Repeating D1 and D2 at another school can be very expensive. If you withdraw without an F, you have a chance of applying as a transfer student at another school. With a low GPA, it will be hard, but not impossible. Also, if that isn't successful, a withdrawal will look better than a dismissal due to school failure when it comes to reapplying.

I have been called for a follow-up meeting - this whole thing looks like school want student to withdraw than school make a call to dismiss. As of now, I have no F and I believe i can make it work all it needs pulling B's in coming up tests. So i don't know if the are just allowed to dismiss someone in the middle based on down-trend or projections or arbitrarily. I will find out. I do not intend to come back etc if dismissed.

I will look for another health care related profession where i can transfer credits earned and if I do get 'F' down the road in this school.
Your school may have a minimum GPA to graduate and you might be falling below it. I am also very skeptical that you'll be able to transfer any of your credits to another healthcare degree. What degree did you even have in mind? But, best of luck to you.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
I have no final F grade so far. Only in one exam I had a F grade, I still have another exam on that and I am sure I can pull through. But my trend of grade has been flat C's. I do not know why adviser will be threatening .. it caused me depression over the days that are so crucial.

I am finding school like to bully students than encouraging.

If you can pull through and pass, then stay. They won't kick you out for C's, only failing courses entirely. They may think you will fail the course, and if that is the case, a withdrawal looks better than getting kicked out for failing.

Assuming I voluntarily drop out or fail/dismissed is there a back door entry? I have seen some foreign dentists having practising/licensed without a DMD?
They have a dental degree from their home country and have done a postgrad residency here in the states.

You don’t have much choice here. If you want to be a dentist, you absolutely need to turn your grades around.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 5 users