Advise plz ,step one or two better first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moslem Doctor

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i will join my internship after few months and i am about to end my last clinical year , so need your advise , i strat by step one first or two ? if i start by two first this will give me trouble as i didnt get over first step before? alot of things related? or i can pass each separetly

thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

DIdn't know you COULD take the steps out of order?!? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?

i know i can take step 2 before step one , i ask about what is better from your experience , take 2 first or 1? as i heard that many Questions come in step 2 related to basics of step one like path,pharma :,,,,,,
plz share with me your experience

Even though you could take Step 1 and 2 in any order, I would still get Step 1 out of the way first, since it does provide many of the basics that will help you on Step 2. And then you'd be all ready to jump into Step 3! So, 1-2-3...better than 2-1-3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its funny that you mention this because I was just thinking about this issue too. In fact, over the past year or so, I have met a lot of doctors from the middle east/india/pakistan who tell me they took step 2 before step 1.....i've heard this so many times, that i almost started to think that it must be the norm in those countries. after talkin to them, this is what i've found: they take step 2 first, b/c unlike US med students, they are already MD's in their countries, so it would be easier taking an exam that requires clinical knowledge/treatment modalities first rather than going back 10-15 years and re-opening those basic science books. at the most they'd supplement their step 2 reading with a review of path, but that's about it. next: they also delay step 1 after step 2 because most programs have their cut off based on step 1, not step 2. therefore, they get some practice/confidence with step 2, and then go back and review the dreaded physio, biochem, anatomy, etc which they have not reviewed in years.
i'm not sure how you can take this msg, but i hope it helps you. unfortunately all of us take step 1-2-3 in that order b/c that is how our system is developed. but iv'e definitely heard of people doing it the other way around too. if i were you, i'd take the easier one (i.e. the easier one for you since you sound like you're already a doc in your country) first (step2).