Advise for thoughtful work related gifts for anesthesiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CptnYesterday

Reaction score
Hi all,

this may be an odd request, but I would like to get your thoughts on what might be something thoughtful your partner could give you as a gift that is related to your daily work needs. I am a computer scientist by training, working in management consulting now and I have very little insight into the ins and outs of an anesthesiologist's job, other than what my partner shares with me. I would like to surprise her without sounding to inquisitive or ruining the surprise, and all I have so far is that her job is basically what I would call "mission based, that is once she is in the OR and the operation is underway she basically has to make sure everything is smooth sailing for the surgeons, with cases that require varying levels of attention, etc...

She mainly complains about the occasionally cold OR environment (Figs fleece jacket: check :)) and generally difficulty relieving herself when nature calls and really bad eating habits because of the unpredictable schedules and cases at times... Well, we do have more than enough Tupperware containers and thermoses already...

So I would like to ask you guys, what you think would be something really thoughtful, that you would appreciate your partner would do or give you? Thank you in advance for all your ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Crossword puzzle books
Silly nerdy anesthesia coffee mugs are always good
Can't go wrong with silly socks or a fun scrub cap... These are the last bastion of fashion in our world
Orthodics
Kindle

Members don't see this ad :)
1-10 phone charging cords
Compression socks
A great coffee mug to leave at work
An actually-stylish fanny pack
A work bag that is nice enough to be doctory but ok to be left on the OR floor
Box of their favorite pen or Sharpie

Reactions: 1 user
My wife bought me a "Rocuronium vial" Christmas ornament last year. It's awesome. She found it on Etsy.

Highly recommend Darn Tough Socks.

Work bag- fossil has some nice ones
Fancy sleep sheet sleeping bag if she has to sleep at hospital sometimes- camping / REI type places have these, they are small.

Any book on suicide prevention.

Reactions: 1 users
You should get them these glasses, they work great on long cases at 3am when you need a little shut eye:

d20a7e7746e4dbd9b2ca3f90861f5e46.jpg

These could work if your spouse is Asian:

Candice-guo-cloth-toy-cartoon-3D-big-eyes-Pranks-sleep-open-eye-glasses-style-eyeshade-travel.jpg_q50.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Bluetooth ear pods?
I'm so tempted to do this, but I have never seen an anesthesiologist wearing headphones or any in ear audio device and I'd be worried about how it would be perceived by everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so tempted to do this, but I have never seen an anesthesiologist wearing headphones or any in ear audio device and I'd be worried about how it would be perceived by everyone.

Met one. And also OR nurse.
It does “feel” little weird. Especially if they don’t respond right away.... are you on the phone like all the nyc taxi drivers?

Esophageal stethoscopes were considered standard monitors when I started. As residents we were admonished if we weren’t plugged in.

$, diamonds, 99% gold, hermes bag and silk scarf...

Particularly true if the certificate is not stamped yet.

No joke, I’d love to have one of these. Would have bought one for myself already it it were cheaper. Would be a very thoughtful gift

No joke, I’d love to have one of these. Would have bought one for myself already it it were cheaper. Would be a very thoughtful gift

125 doesn’t sound horribly expensive.

125 doesn’t sound horribly expensive.

It is very expensive when you forget to take it off your key chain when leaving for the airport and the TSA won’t let you fly with it so you surrender it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It is very expensive when you forget to take it off your key chain when leaving for the airport and the TSA won’t let you fly with it so you surrender it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The likelihood of me actually needing to use a cric kit is the same as me needing a condom in my wallet.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks for all the great ideas! Interestingly enough my partner just told me last week that one of her colleagues' patient needed a cric! Yeah, the probability may seem super low, but I think it's still a great gift.

Love the T-Shirt ideas btw, haha!

Anesthesia Life: A Snarky Coloring Book for Adults, can get on Amazon

having trouble posting link, just search “anesthesialife coloring book” in amazon search bar, great white elephant gift

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
The likelihood of me actually needing to use a cric kit is the same as me needing a condom in my wallet.

That is balanced by the level of disappointment for not having one when needed.

Anesthesia Life: A Snarky Coloring Book for Adults, can get on Amazon

having trouble posting link, just search “anesthesialife coloring book” in amazon search bar, great white elephant gift
That's for certain CRNAs.

Hi all,

this may be an odd request, but I would like to get your thoughts on what might be something thoughtful your partner could give you as a gift that is related to your daily work needs. I am a computer scientist by training, working in management consulting now and I have very little insight into the ins and outs of an anesthesiologist's job, other than what my partner shares with me. I would like to surprise her without sounding to inquisitive or ruining the surprise, and all I have so far is that her job is basically what I would call "mission based, that is once she is in the OR and the operation is underway she basically has to make sure everything is smooth sailing for the surgeons, with cases that require varying levels of attention, etc...

She mainly complains about the occasionally cold OR environment (Figs fleece jacket: check :)) and generally difficulty relieving herself when nature calls and really bad eating habits because of the unpredictable schedules and cases at times... Well, we do have more than enough Tupperware containers and thermoses already...

So I would like to ask you guys, what you think would be something really thoughtful, that you would appreciate your partner would do or give you? Thank you in advance for all your ideas!

How about one of these for a unique gift?