Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ouchitburns

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing like free advice!

Okay, so I have taken a turn at the last minute and realized that I am not interested in doing chemistry research for the rest of my life.

Medical school had always been a goal for the future, but I decided to try and do it more quickly.

I would need to go back to the undergrad for one year to get my medical prereqs, which is fine because I still have a semester of regular classes left.

Currently, I have (based on OMSAS) a 3.72 GPA overall and a 3.64 GPA in my prereqs (although I still have quite a few to go).

I will assume that I will do well on the MCATs, and I have plenty of volunteer and work (research) experience (although none in the health profession).

Are these GPAs competative for acceptance on my first application? second application? I want to go to UBC so I know that I just have to minimally succeed on the MCATs to get past the instant cutoff.

Are there any other schools where I may have a better chance of getting in (I am a BC resident)?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

ouchitburns said:

Okay, so I have taken a turn at the last minute and realized that I am not interested in doing chemistry research for the rest of my life.

Medical school had always been a goal for the future, but I decided to try and do it more quickly.

I would need to go back to the undergrad for one year to get my medical prereqs, which is fine because I still have a semester of regular classes left.

Currently, I have (based on OMSAS) a 3.72 GPA overall and a 3.64 GPA in my prereqs (although I still have quite a few to go).

I will assume that I will do well on the MCATs, and I have plenty of volunteer and work (research) experience (although none in the health profession).

Are these GPAs competative for acceptance on my first application? second application? I want to go to UBC so I know that I just have to minimally succeed on the MCATs to get past the instant cutoff.

Are there any other schools where I may have a better chance of getting in (I am a BC resident)?

Thanks for your help.

Matt
3.72 GPA is competitive for most Ontario schools, and schools like Western take your best 2 years so it may even place you higher. You will need an MCAT preferrably above 30 for most schools, but some (like UBC) don't place as much emphasis on the MCAT and you can get 27-30 easily.

UBC doesn't work on GPA but on averages, and the average grade for accepted students is about 82% overall, 85% last 60 credits.

I recommend going over to www.premed101.com because it is a Canadian based site where you'll get more responses.

your GPA seems solid. and good luck on your mcat. however, be sure to apply to some american schools as backups, as we all know a 3.7 GPA does not necessarily mean an acceptance at Canadian schools these days. good luck! :)

ouchitburns said:

Thanks for your help.

Matt