This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anon12342020

Reaction score
507 --> 497 practise test. Why the downward trend?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should really take a biochemistry course. I know some people don't and manage to get away with it, but you may not be one of them. Especially if you think terms like chaperone protein and agonist are random.

If you are unwilling or unable to take a biochemistry course, the best thing to do is do 500,000 practice questions. Students tend to overemphasize passive learning techniques (like reading) and under-utilize active recall/synthesis techniques (like practice questions). Considering that taking the MCAT is a big exercise in active recall/synthesis, you will get the most mileage out of training yourself for active recall/synthesis.

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC FL exams are the only accurate ones for score projection.

Third party exams only help with showing content gaps.

Study the AAMC FL exam 1 religiously and don't take any more of them until a month before your exam date.

Personally, I think August is way too soon for you to be taking your exam date. If I were you I would've just cancelled it entirely and not scheduled until I was scoring consistently in the 510+ range on all FLs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys! I decided to make this blog because I really need some guidance. This summer is my first attempt writing my MCAT and I, unfortunately, do not have the money to write multiple times so I am trying my best to get a good score the first attempt. My parents have offered to fund me if I have to rewrite, but they are really tight financially and I really do not want to burden them. So I have rescheduled my exam 2 times so far. Originally I booked it for June 28, and realized that was an overly enthusiastic goal for someone with a content gap. Then July 18, and recently August 14 (due to my most recent test). Anyways, I have been studying since about May full time ranging 8-10 hours a day (taking no break days so far).

My background in the sciences is not strong, however, I am good at problem-solving and data analysis. So for me, I knew that I really needed to gain a strong understanding in science to do well.

My diagnostic test I took with NEXT STEP was 126/123/123/126 = 498, which was taken about a month after studying. I was pretty happy with this score because I thought, hey it can only get better from here.

I bought the ALTIUS test pack and have done 3 tests so far with the scores as follows

1 week later: 125/122/124/126 = 497

2 weeks later: 126/125/125/124=500

1 week later: 126/128/127/126 = 507

After doing these altius tests, I noticed they were very biochem heavy so that one week in between the 500 and 507 I thoroughly reviewed half of the Kaplan biochem book and did some practise questions as well. In general when I review my tests the questions I usually get wrong are due to a content gap, and the ones I get right are data-interpretation based. Most people have the content solid but struggle with passage style but for me I'm the opposite :( For example, I could mess up a question due to not knowing some random scientific terms until I review the test(ex. chaperones, agonist lolll)In my defence, I have never taken a biochem course so it's been a bit rough lol.

I took my first AAMC FL, a week after that 507 and got the following score 124/125/123/125 = 497. I was shocked that I did so poorly, but I feel that a factor is that I got interrupted multiple times by my family so I had to keep pausing in between, kindof lost my focus, and also because the test was very bio heavy and I haven't reviewed bio (other than in practise questions here and there) in about 1.5 months. Nonetheless, I am feeling a little bit down honestly. I have been working my *** off this summer and to see such a decrease was really discouraging. People have been saying online that ALTIUS is much harder than the aamc, but to see such a decrease, ahhhhh.

Anyways, I write to you guys for some guidance on what to do. I really want to do well on the MCAT and am willing to put in as much effort as it takes. While I know Im not the most brilliant person, and am quite average, I truly believe that with enough guidance and hard work I can improve and do better. I wasn't able to afford a prep course or tutoring, so thought asking fellow Mcat writers might be useful. So far to study I have been using Kaplan for content review (I learn best through reading, KA for anything confusing, AAMC pack for CARS, and started q banks for the rest of the subjects).

PLS HELPP
I made the first post just looking at the title but after reading this post *sighs*. You're doing everything wrong.

You need to start off by making a schedule. I noticed you started studying in May and hoped to take your first exam in late June when you knew you had content gaps. No! The average MCAT test taker spends 3 dedicated months studying for this exam. And these are students who have taken all the prerequisite courses for it.

After reading that you haven't taken biochem I cannot recommend you take the test at all. There is no rush. And the AAMC waives MCAT fees for FAP recipients so please take biochem, then come back here before you schedule an exam date to detail a study plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys! I decided to make this blog because I really need some guidance. This summer is my first attempt writing my MCAT and I, unfortunately, do not have the money to write multiple times so I am trying my best to get a good score the first attempt. My parents have offered to fund me if I have to rewrite, but they are really tight financially and I really do not want to burden them. So I have rescheduled my exam 2 times so far. Originally I booked it for June 28, and realized that was an overly enthusiastic goal for someone with a content gap. Then July 18, and recently August 14 (due to my most recent test). Anyways, I have been studying since about May full time ranging 8-10 hours a day (taking no break days so far).

My background in the sciences is not strong, however, I am good at problem-solving and data analysis. So for me, I knew that I really needed to gain a strong understanding in science to do well.

My diagnostic test I took with NEXT STEP was 126/123/123/126 = 498, which was taken about a month after studying. I was pretty happy with this score because I thought, hey it can only get better from here.

I bought the ALTIUS test pack and have done 3 tests so far with the scores as follows

After doing these altius tests, I noticed they were very biochem heavy so that one week in between the 500 and 507 I thoroughly reviewed half of the Kaplan biochem book and did some practise questions as well. In general when I review my tests the questions I usually get wrong are due to a content gap, and the ones I get right are data-interpretation based. Most people have the content solid but struggle with passage style but for me I'm the opposite :( For example, I could mess up a question due to not knowing some random scientific terms until I review the test(ex. chaperones, agonist lolll)In my defence, I have never taken a biochem course so it's been a bit rough lol.

I took my first AAMC FL, a week after that 507 and got the following score 124/125/123/125 = 497. I was shocked that I did so poorly, but I feel that a factor is that I got interrupted multiple times by my family so I had to keep pausing in between, kindof lost my focus, and also because the test was very bio heavy and I haven't reviewed bio (other than in practise questions here and there) in about 1.5 months. Nonetheless, I am feeling a little bit down honestly. I have been working my *** off this summer and to see such a decrease was really discouraging. People have been saying online that ALTIUS is much harder than the aamc, but to see such a decrease, ahhhhh.

Anyways, I write to you guys for some guidance on what to do. I really want to do well on the MCAT and am willing to put in as much effort as it takes. While I know Im not the most brilliant person, and am quite average, I truly believe that with enough guidance and hard work I can improve and do better. I wasn't able to afford a prep course or tutoring, so thought asking fellow Mcat writers might be useful. So far to study I have been using Kaplan for content review (I learn best through reading, KA for anything confusing, AAMC pack for CARS, and started q banks for the rest of the subjects).

PLS HELPP
In my opinion your content knowledge can be easily fixed. Hit khan and ak lectures and hit biochem. It’s better to be naturally good at analyzing data for this test. I have the opposite issue I know my content but suck at passages haha. Wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t hurry! Take your time and do it right. Follow the excellent advice you’ve gotten in the responses. Put the exam off until next Spring and find a biochem class to take. Good luck.

Do uworld, and the aamc materials. They help quite a lot

Don't be discouraged by one bad AAMC FL test score. I found Altius B/B section very similar to the AAMC B/B section, and it's one of your highest scoring sections. Perhaps It's time you start doing AAMC Section Banks and Question Packs, if you can afford it.

I made the first post just looking at the title but after reading this post *sighs*. You're doing everything wrong.

You need to start off by making a schedule. I noticed you started studying in May and hoped to take your first exam in late June when you knew you had content gaps. No! The average MCAT test taker spends 3 dedicated months studying for this exam. And these are students who have taken all the prerequisite courses for it.

After reading that you haven't taken biochem I cannot recommend you take the test at all. There is no rush. And the AAMC waives MCAT fees for FAP recipients so please take biochem, then come back here before you schedule an exam date to detail a study plan.

Hello! I didn't word this properly. I intended to take my first practise exam in early June to have about 30 days of practice with lots of tests and questions in between. I admit I had been a bit naive but at the same time I have been putting 110% effort into this exam since day 1, so I wasn't ever taking it too easy or slacking. I had also done a bit of light review throughout the year so I wasn't completely unprepared.

As for the biochem course.. I don't know if I clearly emphasized this but the errors in the practise test (FL1) weren't really due to biochem. As I had spent about a week solidifying concepts that caused my last score jump, I am ranging about 80% - 100% of all biochem questions correct in FLs and questions banks, currently in the C/P and B/B section. However, when looking at the exam breakdown most of my mistakes were in general bio from things I had forgotten and need to refresh (due to not reviewing it thoroughly). I personally feel like I understand biochem but I just need a stronger overall understanding of all the subject matter so I can really do well no matter which aspects they pull questions from, do you get what Im saying?

You should really take a biochemistry course. I know some people don't and manage to get away with it, but you may not be one of them. Especially if you think terms like chaperone protein and agonist are random.

If you are unwilling or unable to take a biochemistry course, the best thing to do is do 500,000 practice questions. Students tend to overemphasize passive learning techniques (like reading) and under-utilize active recall/synthesis techniques (like practice questions). Considering that taking the MCAT is a big exercise in active recall/synthesis, you will get the most mileage out of training yourself for active recall/synthesis.

Hello! Thank you for your response. I agree with you in terms of doing many more practise questions. That is probably the best way to improve my weaknesses. I feel like I definitely could try to take a biochem during my senior year, however, my friends have taken biochem and have told me that the MCAT tests you in a way that isn't fully representative of what you learn in university or how they test. Nonetheless, I have significantly improved in biochem skills after focusing on it solely for a week and doing practise problems. I feel like as I read it, biochem is a subject that sticks for me, whereas things like physics take a lot longer to process (Despite taking the course in university). Just my thoughts.

Don't be discouraged by one bad AAMC FL test score. I found Altius B/B section very similar to the AAMC B/B section, and it's one of your highest scoring sections. Perhaps It's time you start doing AAMC Section Banks and Question Packs, if you can afford it.

Hi I really appreciate your positivity! I have access to that and have not fully gotten through all the questions. I think if I do a lot more practise I can really solidify the gaps and get better overall. Best of luck to you.

PLS HELPP
Look, the MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam, and you thinking about doing it without proper prep. Take a Biochem course and then ONLY take the exam when you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

The exam is as much an assessment of judgement as it is about competence.

Look, the MCAT is a high stakes, career deciding exam, and you thinking about doing it without proper prep. Take a Biochem course and then ONLY take the exam when you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

The exam is as much an assessment of judgement as it is about competence.

I do understand that, and you're right. This is a career determining exam. However, it's not the type of exam where if you do bad once, it's impossible to revive yourself. Which is apparent from the number of people who do poorly and then improve. But, I have already paid for the exam so there is no point in me throwing away the money I have spent so I am at least going to try to give it my best attempt this summer. On the aamc exam the breakdown showed I got between 80-100% of biochem questions correct in both c/p and b/b sections. Biochem is the one subject I really understand despite not taking it, probably because I took orgo as an independent course and understood it & did really well. From my experience, taking a course in university does not necessarily prep you 100%. I took physics, yet I still struggle to understand some of the content and get less of it right than biochem.

My main mistakes in the aamc FL 1 was general biology content I hadn't properly reviewed & physics that confused me. What I was looking for was advice on the discrepancies between the scores and why I could possibly have fallen so much after improving previously. I was looking for advice on how to improve content review and tips, not everyone telling me to cancel my exam.

• Okay...
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh...the sunk cost fallacy.

Suit yourself.
its not just about the money, time or being delusional. this has been my dream since I was a child, I have worked very hard to get into a top program despite being an average student and have never stopped working hard since. I owe it to myself to give every attempt my full effort. If I don't do well I'll keep trying until I do.
tyvm

• Hmm
I do understand that, and you're right. This is a career determining exam. However, it's not the type of exam where if you do bad once, it's impossible to revive yourself. Which is apparent from the number of people who do poorly and then improve. But, I have already paid for the exam so there is no point in me throwing away the money I have spent so I am at least going to try to give it my best attempt this summer. On the aamc exam the breakdown showed I got between 80-100% of biochem questions correct in both c/p and b/b sections. Biochem is the one subject I really understand despite not taking it, probably because I took orgo as an independent course and understood it & did really well. From my experience, taking a course in university does not necessarily prep you 100%. I took physics, yet I still struggle to understand some of the content and get less of it right than biochem.

My main mistakes in the aamc FL 1 was general biology content I hadn't properly reviewed & physics that confused me. What I was looking for was advice on the discrepancies between the scores and why I could possibly have fallen so much after improving previously. I was looking for advice on how to improve content review and tips, not everyone telling me to cancel my exam.

To be fair scoring 497 on the aamc Fl a month before your test is a red flag. The advice to reschedule your exam may be harsh, but is valid and should be taken seriously. But hey, you know yourself best. If you really feel like it was a one off, and that you are able to identify and improve your weaknesses before the test, more power to you.

To be fair scoring 497 on the aamc Fl a month before your test is a red flag. The advice to reschedule your exam may be harsh, but is valid and should be taken seriously. But hey, you know yourself best. If you really feel like it was a one off, and that you are able to identify and improve your weaknesses before the test, more power to you.

I did reschedule my exam based on that FL haha. Since I was improving a lot on altius I booked the July 18, but changed it a few days ago. I think regardless of how I do it will be a learning experience on what works and what doesn't. Worst to worst I can retake so I'm not opposed to it. But my point was I want to try to improve as much as possible for this summer's mcat.

The Altius exams were very accurate for predicting my score a few years back. My best was a 517 with lots of 512 and 510 ish range tests. Got 516 on the real thing. Trust the practice tests and don’t test until multiple tests reflect mastery.

The Altius exams were very accurate for predicting my score a few years back. My best was a 517 with lots of 512 and 510 ish range tests. Got 516 on the real thing. Trust the practice tests and don’t test until multiple tests reflect mastery.

Yup I agree for sure. But I am wondering why there was such a drop from ALTIUS to AAMC despite the upward trend. Were your aamc tests comparable?

The real test is identical to the AAMC tests. If I could go back I would do nothing but uworld to learn/practice deciphering passages and then aamc materials for real deal trial.

I am mixed on taking biochem class. I did not take it before, and did well on that section. I have since taken biochem, and in hindsight it would have helped marginally based on the intro class I took. Problem is the hard part on the MCAT is how dense and complicated the passages are written. I am sure when my brother who was a biochem major took it, he could read the passages no problem. But for me, with or without an intro biochem class, the passages are still tough to interpret, and I think time is best spent on repetition working through passages vice taking a class, personally.

I am not mixed on every other piece of advice given here though. If that one aamc FL wasn’t a fluke, and you don’t magically improve by 10+ points the next time you do one, cancel that MCAT. I think you even get a big chunk of money back, but either way don’t worry about that it’s a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the app process. But proceeding with the real deal while scoring 497s on the practice tests is basically application suicide. You may have success with a one time 506, but if you get a 497 now and then take it again later and get a 506, I do not think it will play ball. Be smart and don’t take it until you can get your one time decent enough score.

Yup I agree for sure. But I am wondering why there was such a drop from ALTIUS to AAMC despite the upward trend. Were your aamc tests comparable?

Look, none of these tests have extreme accuracy. The MCAT score report comes with confidence bands for this very reason.

You've taken four practice exams so far, and the average between them (500.25) is 11.25 points below the average for matriculants (511.5). Your "trend" is a singe Altius score of 507. Remove that and your performance is 497 -> 500 -> 497, which is statistical fluctuation.

You can wait and take the test when you have solid evidence that you will perform well, or you can take a swing, probably miss, and then wait to retake the test until you have solid evidence that you will perform well. The only real difference between these scenarios is that one leaves a blemish on your application.

• Love
Look, none of these tests have extreme accuracy. The MCAT score report comes with confidence bands for this very reason.

You've taken four practice exams so far, and the average between them (500.25) is 11.25 points below the average for matriculants (511.5). Your "trend" is a singe Altius score of 507. Remove that and your performance is 497 -> 500 -> 497, which is statistical fluctuation.

You can wait and take the test when you have solid evidence that you will perform well, or you can take a swing, probably miss, and then wait to retake the test until you have solid evidence that you will perform well. The only real difference between these scenarios is that one leaves a blemish on your application.

Okay your perspective is fair! Can I run down my study plan by you? You seem well informed

Hello,
I have made an updated study plan, would you care to review? I'd appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.