Advice..univ vs community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutslikeaknife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you already in PRS, and for those of you who are applying PRS...I need some advice.
I am getting ready to rank General Surg programs hoping to advance into a Plastics fellowship eventually. My dilemma is this: my "home" program is a small community hospital with university affiliations that I would feel very comfortable at doing a general surgery residency. It seems to be a no-brainer to go for a university program to better my chances for fellowship in 5-6 years, but here's the twist: 2 of the chiefs (one being an IMG) graduating this year got plastics fellowships, and pretty much everyone in the past has gotten the fellowships they wanted, without doing a year of research. Everyone tells me that even though the program is community, the chairman is so well-connected that it doesn't make a difference. On the other hand, when I interviewed at USC last month, the plastics guy there told me I had no choice but to go to a univ program to get a PRS fellowship based on the fact that I am an FMG. Besides the obvious of performing well during residency and scoring well on ABSITEs to increase my fellowship chances, what are your thoughts on this situation? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly reccomend you go the University route. There is a real bias for that among programs & your FMG status would make a program look for any excuse to dismiss your application when looking for some arbitrary way to sort thru the HUGE #'s applications coming in.

droliver said:
I would strongly reccomend you go the University route. There is a real bias for that among programs & your FMG status would make a program look for any excuse to dismiss your application when looking for some arbitrary way to sort thru the HUGE #'s applications coming in.
Dr.Oliver,

I am IMG in 3rd yr surgery at a decent university hospital down south. I did 3 yrs surgery at a community hospital and then moved to 3rd in a university hoping that it would help me get into plastics.
My absites are average 58,73 and then 27 in consecutive yrs.

I am studying hard this year. I will be applying in a few months. We dont have plastics in our place and neither is the plastics dept active.

I can get some decent LOR`s --but what are my chances.....
do u think doing hand first would improve my chances of getting plastics?
last but not least, i have a few contacts in some community Plastics programs.How big of a difference would it make at the end of the day if i eventually want to go into a small teaching/ community hospital with my own private practice

Please let me know; i`m sorry if i have asked you too many questions.

Thank you very much