Advice to someone dismissed after 2 years of being enrolled in a DPT program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leanmeanmachine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a sad but potential outcome for DPT students. Fortunately, life goes on.

What advice would you give to a DPT student dismissed after 6 years of college + DPT education combined? It can be academic, financial, or career oriented.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is a sad but potential outcome for DPT students. Fortunately, life goes on.

What advice would you give to a DPT student dismissed after 6 years of college + DPT education combined? It can be academic, financial, or career oriented.
we'd need a lot more details on goals and details

Find true acceptance that physical therapy is not the best fit for you (for whatever reason). Next, I would start working full time in the highest paid job you can land....I'm just guessing you have debt from the years of PT school (?). Get that resume out there, get on LinkedIn, let your friends know you are looking, hit up any contacts from undergrad. You have a college degree, so hopefully you can land at least a $45+K job....more depending on where you live. I highly encourage you to pay down your debt before you start another venture. While you are working full time, start researching other career fields. You can start on a job search website and save any favorite job descriptions whether you are qualified or not (think dream jobs.) A few years of time, a few years of work in the real world and a clean financial slate will open nearly all options up again to you. There is no rush. If you were a traditional student, you have plenty of years to get where you want to do. Again, NO RUSH to find the best fit for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good, practical advice. It's definitely not wise to try to take on another academic program until a good chunk of the PT/undergrad student loan is payed off.

I was thinking perhaps getting a 9-5 gig and doing Personal Training work several times a week for the time being, so I'd be making money and keeping my PT knowledge fresh.

Reactions: 1 user
You may also be qualified to do a cardiac rehab job too....maybe check out that field.

Reactions: 1 user
You may also be qualified to do a cardiac rehab job too....maybe check out that field.
Currently an exercise physiologist. At least in my area it is very difficult to find full time work. Most of the hospitals hire people as per-diem and then promote from within (namely because a lot of EPs leave for PT school, I'm the 2nd this year from my hospital and 2 others applying next cycle.) So if you decide to go that route, you should look to have another job, like personal training, while waiting to be moved up at a hospital.

What about medical device sales? Are you a good talker? Can you sell me a total knee replacement parts?

Prosthetician? I mean, you can put all that PT knowledge to good use and still help people by making prosthetics.