Advice to create better habits and stay motivated during high school?

Future Doc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman but I am at the end of my freshman year. I didn't really do that well because I started high school at a very rigorous and intense college prep program that I was not use to the years before. Every class with the exception of electives are required to be advanced or Pre-AP and they make the students take at least one AP class a year ( they strongly recommend more) to stay in. I really think this program can help me, and aid in my dream of becoming a doctor. I would like to stay in it; Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

First you need to figure out what your problem is... are you not grasping the concepts, is your studying ineffective, ect. Then try different study methods and figure out which one works best.

Also, when starting out with new teachers I always go all out studying for the first test because I have no idea what to expect, then once you've aced the first one and gotten the feel for how much effort is required you can back it down a bit and save yourself from burning out.

If the program's too intense for you, then it's too intense. High School stuff won't matter to Med Schools but it will matter when you're applying to UGs and looking for scholarships. It's best to keep up a good GPA so you're a more competitive applicant later on... if you can isolate your problems though and correct them, there should be no need to leave the program.

Other than that just keep working hard and do things you enjoy.

There are two parts to my advice:

1) Find your internal motivation to do well. To be honest, I didn't find my motivation to put in effort for school until this last year (my freshman year of college), when I equated my grades with me getting a job that I wanted/getting into a great MD school. I ended up pulling a 4.0 last semester. Maturity is also a part of this, and you don't just "learn" it. Go out, volunteer, break out of your shell whatever it may be, just do something that is HARD and WORTHWHILE. I gained a ton of maturity when I wrestled and had to cut 30+ lbs and push myself to my asthmatic limits 6 days a week for 3 hours.

2) Learn how you learn. Find the most effective methods of studying for you, and find the highest yield methods. Don't be too proud to ask for help. If you are decently smart, you should have MORE than enough time to do all of your schoolwork, get straight A's, and have fun. Oh, and try not to procrastinate.

Oh, and trust me, you will be very glad that you are trying to adjust to a rigorous schedule now instead of your freshman year of college. Coming from a college-prep highschool, learning how to deal with an intense workload is very visible in the kids that had good educations (whether it be from a private or public highschool). The people with good educations have been forced to learn how to study and budget their time well.

Remeber, work hard, but play harder. Don't burn out before you hit college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really do that well

How well exactly?

If you are getting a crappy gpa because the program is too hard for you then i would recommend you back down the intensity level of your classes. If you can honestly tell yourself that you studied as hard and as long as you possibly could and aren't pulling a +3.5 i would reevaluate your courses for next year. Colleges will take someone with a 3.5 in regular classes over someone with a 2.5 in ap/honors classes every time (all other things being equal).

Your goal right now should be to learn how to succeed academically. Taking overly hard classes rigth now will not help you learn how to be successful. Master regular courses then ramp it up from there if you want. Don't overwhelm yourself with AP/honors classes in subjects your weak in. I was never good at English but i excelled in science so i took harder science classes and stayed in regular English and it worked for me. In certain subject like math if you don't master the current level your at the next level will be even worse and its very hard to break that cycle without retaking something. Focus on learning how to get good grades (3.5+) there will be time to take harder classes later once you master your current level.

Remember your priority right now is getting into the best/cheapest college possible.

Don't screw your gpa by taking another year of hard classes and getting below 3.5

Now if you actually did slack off instead of giving it your all what teh previous two posters said is the way to go.

I'm having a bit of trouble and it would be great if anyone who knows how to lead their high school career with excellence would contribute. I am in a very rigorous and intense college prep program and I'm a little overwhelmed--

thanks for the advice; i'll take it too heart:)

Hi FD,
Sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. Have you had time to pinpoint what's giving you trouble? Do you simply have too much on your plate, do you have organizational problems, do you make careless mistakes (such as not reading all answer options or forgetting a negative sign?

This website has good basic strategies about getting organized and preparing for different kinds of tests. Agree with the others that you should first figure out how what kind of learner you are--visual, auditory, kinesthetic--these tests can be found with a simple google search. Then figure out why you are making mistakes and how to not repeat them (easier said than done :)

I would also strongly recommend tutoring and/or studying with others who do well. Tutoring is not always free, but if you team up with the person acing the class, they can reinforce the concepts by explaining them to you, and you will gain the understanding. It's a win-win situation. Good luck with your studies!

Honors are very difficult. I wake up at 3 AM to study sometimes (dad says you learn best in the morning). But I still am doing something wrong and always get Bs, Cs, Ds on tests. I procrastinate alot on the computer btw, but the habit doesn't leave me.
What can I do?

Stay motivated and organize your study time... you could try setting your alarm on your cell phone (the day before the test, not at 3 AM that morning...) for when you want to start studying and then make yourself get up and study at that time. That way you won't be up at 3 studying for your test. Getting up that early is only going to stress you out and make you tired, it's better to be relaxed and focused going into it.

I am currently a freshman but I am at the end of my freshman year. I didn't really do that well because I started high school at a very rigorous and intense college prep program that I was not use to the years before. Every class with the exception of electives are required to be advanced or Pre-AP and they make the students take at least one AP class a year ( they strongly recommend more) to stay in. I really think this program can help me, and aid in my dream of becoming a doctor. I would like to stay in it; Any tips?

I feel there can be numerous reasons for struggling in a rigorous program. One thought is a "lack of intelligence" needed to succeed in those classes. In my opinion, intelligence is prior knowledge built up mainly from previous schooling. If you didn't develop the proper knowledge base to succeed in hard classes during your previous schooling, you have two options. You can take summer classes and pay excellent attention to catch up, or, if hopelessly behind, you will have to drop down to an easier level.

Another possibility is the lack of skills needed to succeed in these classes. If you have the base knowledge, then there are a few tactics you need to employ to succeed in difficult classes:
  • When attending class, always keep your mind on the subject at hand
  • ALWAYS take notes in class when the teacher is speaking
  • Do homework assignments WAY before they are due so you aren't overwhelmed some weeks
  • Study for tests a few days to a week early, do not cram the night before
  • Walk into tests thinking about the subject material
  • If in doubt, do it
  • Exceed expectations; if given a rubric, exceed everything written
  • NEVER procrastinate because it will haunt you

Just do your best to be the quintessential overachiever: stay on top of work, take notes, and you should succeed. :thumbup:

I got straight Fs in middle school. Because of the lack of the previous knowledge, I have to work ****ing hard to get As in high school now. But it's certainly doable. :D

I feel there can be numerous reasons for struggling in a rigorous program. One thought is a "lack of intelligence" needed to succeed in those classes. In my opinion, intelligence is prior knowledge built up mainly from previous schooling. If you didn't develop the proper knowledge base to succeed in hard classes during your previous schooling, you have two options. You can take summer classes and pay excellent attention to catch up, or, if hopelessly behind, you will have to drop down to an easier level.

My personal mantra is to not worry about it. Now there's a difference between not worrying and not caring (which is the difference between being "smooth" and being a hippie).

You still care. Work your ass off and study, and get done what you need to get done. But don't study because you "have to study", study because you're interested in the material and want to learn it. Don't worry about "having" to study for this class; you're reading the material because it's intriguing.

When you take a test, don't worry about it. Just do your best and be happy, because if you fail it, well there's no need to worry about that because you've already failed it for whatever reason.

Don't stress out about not getting the perfect grade. It isn't the end of the world, not even remotely close to making a difference in your life, regardless of how important it may seem to you. Don't let things get you worked up, just do your thing and be happy with it.

I'm a personal believer that attitude is the primary determinant of your success or failure in any endeavor you undertake. My freshman and sophomore years I didn't care, and I made straight B's with a few sprinkled A's, in pretty easy classes. This year I care, but I don't worry. I just do my thing and I put in quite a bit of effort, and I take what I get. I'm taking 3 AP science courses and an AP history course in a 4 block schedule and I'm making all A's. (Biology, Chem, Physics, US History)

I see other students in my classes fretting about little things that don't really matter and they struggle with just a single honors course. Maybe I'm just some kind of strange outlier, but I think being too neurotic/trying too hard will doom you just as much as not caring at all. Try to find a happy balance and let it come to you.

Also, remember that the learning curve is just that: a curve. The learning curve is not a linear Time vs Amount Retained graph; it's called a curve for a reason. The return you get from an increasing amount of studying is less and less. A lot of students think that they can take a super hard schedule and just take on an extra 10 hours of studying each night and cover it. It doesn't work that way; it's an exponential curve, not a linear.

My personal mantra is to not worry about it. Now there's a difference between not worrying and not caring (which is the difference between being "smooth" and being a hippie).

You still care. Work your ass off and study, and get done what you need to get done. But don't study because you "have to study", study because you're interested in the material and want to learn it. Don't worry about "having" to study for this class; you're reading the material because it's intriguing.

When you take a test, don't worry about it. Just do your best and be happy, because if you fail it, well there's no need to worry about that because you've already failed it for whatever reason.

Don't stress out about not getting the perfect grade. It isn't the end of the world, not even remotely close to making a difference in your life, regardless of how important it may seem to you. Don't let things get you worked up, just do your thing and be happy with it.

I'm a personal believer that attitude is the primary determinant of your success or failure in any endeavor you undertake. My freshman and sophomore years I didn't care, and I made straight B's with a few sprinkled A's, in pretty easy classes. This year I care, but I don't worry. I just do my thing and I put in quite a bit of effort, and I take what I get. I'm taking 3 AP science courses and an AP history course in a 4 block schedule and I'm making all A's. (Biology, Chem, Physics, US History)

I see other students in my classes fretting about little things that don't really matter and they struggle with just a single honors course. Maybe I'm just some kind of strange outlier, but I think being too neurotic/trying too hard will doom you just as much as not caring at all. Try to find a happy balance and let it come to you.

Also, remember that the learning curve is just that: a curve. The learning curve is not a linear Time vs Amount Retained graph; it's called a curve for a reason. The return you get from an increasing amount of studying is less and less. A lot of students think that they can take a super hard schedule and just take on an extra 10 hours of studying each night and cover it. It doesn't work that way; it's an exponential curve, not a linear.
Hey?! I'm taking all those classes you're taking when I get to my senior year with the whole block schedule and stuff too (we did this 4 year plan thing where we planned out all our classes). I'm taking all those exact classes--thats crazy :laugh:

1) figure out your learning style (google 'learning style') which will help you determine the most effective ways to study. If you are visual, reading notes repeatedly won't do a lot for you. if you are tactile, you need to connect the lecture concepts to practical skills.

2) learn to take quality notes. Most students take too many or too few. Note taking is different in different fields. In math/physics, you need the details of problem solutions and the big concepts. In social sciences, concepts with supporting details and the people behind them. History focus on timelines, connections, and repeats. bio/chem can really vary based on the professor. Literature courses/writing courses focus on the structures of writing (theme, characters, etc.) For notes to be useful, they need to be readable

3) learn how to read text books. SQR3 and other methods are useful. Once you figure out how to use them, modify them to fit your style. Also, figure out when to read. If you learn well independently, you might be better off reading the assigned material BEFORE the class covering it, if you learn better from lecture, after. When and how to read may also vary by class/teacher.

4) if you can afford it, obtain easier books on the subject. 'for dummies' books or 'cartoon chemistry' can help clarify concepts quickly with a paragraph rather than pages of background detail that end up being irrelevant. This can be very true for AP classes, where guides on taking the test help guide you to the most important material for the test.

5) Study daily. Don't cram. Review/rewrite your notes. I don't mean copy word for word. Sit down before doing homework, and jot down a synopsis, on a blank page, without notes in front of you, what you learned in the class that day. If you are visual, use images. If you are verbal, key words. find connections. If it reminds you of something else, note that as well. the more connections you make between what you are learning and what you know, you will retain more of it.

6) make sure you can relate the daily stuff with the big picture in the field. students are often lost in the detail and can't grasp the big connections because they don't look up and see the forest for all the tress.

7) do the work. if there is homework, do it. if there are projects, complete them.

8) keep a calendar/schedule and work ahead of schedule. break down projects and studying into managable chunks, SCHEDULE it in to your calendar, and stick to it. time management is very important and a skill a lot of people don't learn early enough

9) find balance. stay healthy, eat well, exercise. sleep. exercise and sleep will often let your mind process info in the background. Consider having a regular routine and take breaks from studying. Take a minute or 2 to stretch every half hour, and plan a longer 15min break at least every 2 hours.

10) have fun! School is as much about developing relationships as learning material. Your academics are important in regards to school acceptances and scholarships. Your relationships are important in terms of future opportunities and the skill to relate to clients/patients/professors/etc.

I also attended an intensive residential high school located on a college campus intended to provide academic challenge for the top students in the state. A lot of people think I am crazy, but HS was far harder than college for me (and I went to a hard, liberal arts college without grade inflation and focused on research.) The intensity of my HS program enabled me to attend college FT while working FT.

Ask your school if they have a program in study methods. Some do, and are very useful.

"doing well" is relative, and it all depends on where you want to go to college, Ivy League, private, public?

The thing that I think you should do is : Start with the end in mind.

Look up the profiles of colleges you are interested in attending then take note of what they require for entry.
Then use that for motovation
hint: Collegeboard.com has something like this.

hope this helps

My biggest piece of advice is not to procrastinate, mostly because that is my downfall (but I'm working on it :) ) Basically, projects tend to be assigned with enough time to do them, but before you get to the deadline, you may have more. This, for me, has resulted in spending most of 3rd and 4th quarters this year, as I put it, "crashing from project to project", basically putting all my time into one project so it will be done in 3 days, only to have to do the same thing for the next one starting the following day, and so forth. So don't get caught there.

Also, keeping up with homework is really big (and this includes reading). It's really tempting to put off homework that isn't collected or checked right away (ex: in my math class, where HW for the chapter is turned in on test day), but it will still be relevant to the class before it's due. With the reading, I learned the hard way in AP Euro this year that everything makes a lot more sense in class(and you can answer a lot more questions) when you've already read (and retained, which I also had some issues with, but I'd attribute that to being really unenthusiastic about history).

Finally, I heartily agree with the making connections with the material. One thing that helped me with history was connecting it with tropes (storytelling devices) that I was familiar with, and putting the relevant ones in the margins of my notes. Another really cool thing is when you can make connections between classes. Doesn't happen as much, but is still helpful.

Just stuff to think about.

again, follow the accumulation of advice of all the replies here :D:thumbup:

Nice posts and advice from above.

I was wondering if you ever had tutoring or maybe even given tutoring. Because, this is a good way to make sure you know the concepts and it sometimes helps you learn more about your study skills and what you may be missing. You may find that when you are helping someone learn a concept, you find something that didn't quite stick in your brain. Why did this happen? Did you not study the material well enough? Was it because of disinterest or just that you don't grasp everything you plan on? (these are crappy questions, but you get the point)... Anyway, I think you should definitely stick with this program and hopefully you do well. If you do well enough, you can look forward to a lower amount of tuition, which is a great motivation.

To keep interested in school, I would start a study group (not a pizza party, an actually study group). You may also want to do something stimulating in between your studying, like exercise or play with your dog/pet. Hope this helps and good luck with your studies. Also, keep in mind, that if you don't do well the first time, it's not over. In fact, it makes you a stronger student because you try much harder later on. And, don't be afraid to take some risks, like take an interesting upper level class. I find the more risks I take, academically, I have more fun and learn so much more in the end.