Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmd4eva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to get your feedback in this. My husband went to the allergist today, and was counseled by the allergist on how to use the Symbicort inhaler. He told my husband to hold the inhaler "away" from his mouth then press the actuater...rather than sealing his lips around the mouthpiece.

Furthermore, the allergist also instructed him on how to use the Veramyst nasal spray. Rather than using the nasal spray intranasally, he was told to hold the spray away from his nose.

I wasn't there for this appointment...if I was, I would have questioned the physician. Quite frankly, I am outraged :mad:.

Has anyone ever heard of using either an inhaler or nasal spray this way? How do you counsel your patients?

Following advice such as spraying the inhaler in front of the mouth rather than inside and away from the nose rather than inside the nose sounds like my husband needs to find a new doctor to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like the allergist was confusing the proper use of a MDI with the Turbuhaler, and needs to read the package insert.

You would definitely spray both of those inside the orifice, without a doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to put your mouth on the inhaler otherwise you'll get nothing.
With the CFC MDIs, you could do what he was talking about. The HFAs are not able to do that.
All of those nasal sprays, need to be put into the nose. Also, Veramyst, fluticasone furoate? Why not try the utterly cheaper and effectively the same generic flonase, fluticasone propionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.