advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azarep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to make decision between doing an access to medicine program in the UK, where I will be considered a home student because I am a UK citizen, and a postbac program in America, where I now reside as a permanent resident.

Here's the catch: The program in England is basically a pre-med program for mature students and is tuition free. I would have to pay for living expenses out of pocket because there is no financial aid available for these non-degree courses. So basically I would only have enough money to get me started and after that I would have to work or come up with some money somehow. The matriculation rate into med school is around 80% for access students and if successful I would probably matriculate into a 5 yr med program in England.

The post-bac program in Philly is a graduate program and so I am elligable for student loans. It offers me a chance to focus on MCAT preparation while improving my GPA and after two years if I have at least a B or higher in most my classes I would receive a masters degree. After that I would most probably matriculate into a US allopathic school provided I have good numbers.

What would you do? Should I throw caution to the wind and go for the UK program, worrying about money when I get there? Should I do the postbac in the states where I won't have to worry about money until graduation, so I can focus on school? It feels a little precarious putting myself through the grindstone for a chance at medical school, but after having hands on experience I cannot see myself doing anything else. Please help! Any advise will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, have you spoken to banks about student loans? Quite a few banks offer student loans which you would not have to pay back until after graduation, and especially if you have a plan to be a health professional they're pretty good about granting loans... I know nothing really of your situation, but my inclination would be to go for the access program which has a high percentage matriculation rate, and in which tuition is free, vs. paying like $30,000 for a post-bac program. You may have to work, but I'd also recommend talking to UK banks about private loans if you haven't already - they're quite good about providing options for students... either way, you're taking out a loan and you want to keep debt to a minimum.

Also, it depends where you ultimately want to practice. If you want to make your life in the US, then the post-bac route might be right for you. But if eventually you want to return to the UK and live in UK/Europe (or even Oz, Ireland) then the access program would be the better choice.

leorl said:
Hmm, have you spoken to banks about student loans? Quite a few banks offer student loans which you would not have to pay back until after graduation, and especially if you have a plan to be a health professional they're pretty good about granting loans... I know nothing really of your situation, but my inclination would be to go for the access program which has a high percentage matriculation rate, and in which tuition is free, vs. paying like $30,000 for a post-bac program. You may have to work, but I'd also recommend talking to UK banks about private loans if you haven't already - they're quite good about providing options for students... either way, you're taking out a loan and you want to keep debt to a minimum.

Also, it depends where you ultimately want to practice. If you want to make your life in the US, then the post-bac route might be right for you. But if eventually you want to return to the UK and live in UK/Europe (or even Oz, Ireland) then the access program would be the better choice.

Leorl

Thanks for the feedback. l will definately look into UK banks. Is there any truth in uk med students not finding NHS placements or is this fals information? I remember reading about it in this forum somewhere.