This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would I likely be able to get in?

• US MD School

• US DO School

• Caribbean MD School

• Nowhere

Results are only viewable after voting.

NStan5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my cGPA is a 3.45 and my sGPA is a 3.02. I have not taken my MCAT yet so I understand that it is difficult to give advice without this piece, but I would take a course and for arguments sake assume an old scale score in the upper 20s, low 30s. I have shadowed an MD in the field I want to go into, who will write me a great LOR. I have been very involved on campus in a variety of leadership roles, some of which were volunteer organizations. I am a volunteer EMT, as well as holding jobs throughout undergrad. My dad, as well as the MD I shadowed (who is now the department chair of Psychiatry at his hospital) went abroad for their schooling. I don't really have much of an opportunity to retake classes so I want to do something that my current grades and maybe improved ECs will allow. My grades surely won't allow me to go MD stateside, and I think I am out of the ballpark for DO so I am open to going to the Caribbean for school as they both did, and even saw something about an Australian program?? Anyhow, I was looking for feedback if this was the right thinking. I know many people are down on schools such as Ross and St. Georges, but the MD says that he set people who went there all the time and doesn't think there is really an issue with going that route. All advice is appreciated! I would be applying in 2 years after more work experience for financial reasons if this makes any difference. Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do yourself a favor and read through some of the Carib threads, and you'll see why your MD colleague is completely wrong about the current career climate for IMGs.

With a 3.02 sGPA, please let us know why you think that you can survive a medical school curriculum???

Your stats are lethal for all MD schools and barely on life support for the newest DO schools.

For Carib diploma mills, you're the type of victim they feast upon. You're their business model.

Reactions: 1 users
I've worked to be able to support myself through undergrad and have not done so with loans. Taking out loans for medical school I will will be able to devote myself and focus solely on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked to be able to support myself through undergrad and have not done so with loans. Taking out loans for medical school I will will be able to devote myself and focus solely on it.

When you answer with that response, keep in mind that your application is going to be reviewed next to the applicant that had to work 30-40 hours per week in college AND maintained a stellar gpa.

Reactions: 1 user