Advice please regarding classes to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

customx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post bacc student and am gearing up for next years cycle. I have completed the following classes:
Bio 1, 2
Chem 1, 2
Ochem 1, 2
A&P 1
Microbiology
Physics 1, 2

I don't have many prereqs left except for biochem. I graduated from the University of Washington, but have taken all my prereqs at a community college. My SGPA is 3.46. Most schools that require biochem expect from 3-6 quarter credits worth. UW requires 12 credits of biochem however. There are 2 intro biochem courses, both of which are only 3 credits each, and only offered in fall and winter quarter. The community college offers biochem as well, 2 courses worth 6 credits each, which would get me the 12 credits. Should I take biochem at UW or the CC?

I can also take a 4 credit immunology course (assuming the class doesn't fill up in the next month) at UW. Even though most schools don't list immunology as a prereq, would you recommend taking it? I did well in all my science courses, except I got a C in my last quarter of Ochem. I got As and Bs (no less than a B) in all other courses. I'd like to take upper division courses at UW if possible, but I don't know if it's practical. Any advice?

I work full-time, have about 75 hours shadowing and volunteer when I have time. I will take the DAT this fall. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a post bacc student and am gearing up for next years cycle. I have completed the following classes:
Bio 1, 2
Chem 1, 2
Ochem 1, 2
A&P 1
Microbiology
Physics 1, 2

I don't have many prereqs left except for biochem. I graduated from the University of Washington, but have taken all my prereqs at a community college. My SGPA is 3.46. Most schools that require biochem expect from 3-6 quarter credits worth. UW requires 12 credits of biochem however. There are 2 intro biochem courses, both of which are only 3 credits each, and only offered in fall and winter quarter. The community college offers biochem as well, 2 courses worth 6 credits each, which would get me the 12 credits. Should I take biochem at UW or the CC?

I can also take a 4 credit immunology course (assuming the class doesn't fill up in the next month) at UW. Even though most schools don't list immunology as a prereq, would you recommend taking it? I did well in all my science courses, except I got a C in my last quarter of Ochem. I got As and Bs (no less than a B) in all other courses. I'd like to take upper division courses at UW if possible, but I don't know if it's practical. Any advice?

I work full-time, have about 75 hours shadowing and volunteer when I have time. I will take the DAT this fall. Thanks

Not a good idea to take upper level science courses like biochem/immunology at a CC.

I too did all of my prereqs at CC but am now working toward a BA in bio while taking upper level science courses at a 4 year uni.

You should definitely take as many upper level science classes as possible at a university since all of your science prereqs are done at CC.

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a good idea to take upper level science courses like biochem/immunology at a CC.

I too did all of my prereqs at CC but am now working toward a BA in bio while taking upper level science courses at a 4 year uni.

You should definitely take as many upper level science classes as possible at a university since all of your science prereqs are done at CC.

good luck.

Thanks. It's just extremely difficult to get into some courses as a postbacc student since I have the lowest priority registration. Immunology has 11 spots left, Microbiology is overloaded, but biochem has 90 open seats. That may all change though between now and when classes start in about a month.

Similar situation here:

My school only offers only 1 biochem class (4 or 5 credits), but UW requires 12 credits. My school is a WA school. It doesn't make sense to me why another in-state school wouldn't coincide their course requirements to another in-state's requirements.

Similar situation here:

My school only offers only 1 biochem class (4 or 5 credits), but UW requires 12 credits. My school is a WA school. It doesn't make sense to me why another in-state school wouldn't coincide their course requirements to another in-state's requirements.

The info on the UW dental school website and the 2012 ADEA guide don't match up. The ADEA guide says that 12 credits of biochem and micro are required, but according to the UW site only 6 credits of each are required. Biochem 405 and 406 are both 3 credits, and Micro 301 and 410 are 3 credits each as well. Biochem 405 is lecture only, but the biochem course at Bellevue CC is 6 credits b/c it has a lab. So confusing...