Advice please; realistic chances for Surgery in US after 2 years of Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys am in a very terrible situation and I need advice. I had just finished my PGY2 Prelim Surgery at big acadamic program, unfortaunetly I went unmatched, mainly because of poor planning and bad luck. My background is FMG from a poor third world country, 4 years since graduation >270 in both step 1 and 2, 4 publications, I had good evaluations and strong letters from faculty I worked with in the past 2 years, many praised my hard work, knowledge and strong work ethics. My absite scores are 99th percentile for PGY1 and PGY2 years.

I had comments from two faculties about my technical skills development mid 2nd year, per my PD a big component of it is confusion about laterality. I am left handed and I went back and forth between operating right handed and left at multiple points in the past two years. My PD didnt take those comments lightly and he promised to support me for PGY2 rather than PGY3 by around mid year, so I ended up applying to PGY2 vacancies only; since PGY2 catagoricals are very rare for posting at APDS; I applied to 2 spots throughout the year, I was interviewed in one and wasnt offered a position. I didnt apply to the match in both years because the general consensus that our PD secure us spots outside the match so we dont go again through the process.

Do I think I am bad at operating ? No, I did have my struggles with some cases especially those affected by positioning and laterality early in my residency and I got very obsessed about it at times, I think it affected my performance and confidence at points in my residency, but by the end of the 2nd year scrubbing as much cases as I can and finding a left handed mentor in the department; I was able to figure-out my way of doing things; make it a second nature and feel more confident with my skills. Looking back I should have thought mentorship at the first point I felt I had struggles with laterality, it might have helped put me on the right track early on and before any faculty have comments or form impression about my skills, as any comment could be critical in the already sensitive prelim situation.

In my last 2 months of my residency when my realistic chances of finding a vacancy were bad, some of my co-residents and attending I worked along from other departments stepped and offered to help me get next year positions in other specalities incase I decided on changing my career path, they might have seen things in me am not appreciating and I belive I could be successful in other specialities, but to be honest I feel that I invested alot in surgery and I cant find my passion anywhere else. As much stressful and painful somedays could be in surgery, when I look back there were moments of maximum thrill and sense of fulfilment that I got addicted to and I cant accept the idea of just let it all go so easiley upon facing the first hurdle.

So currently am packing my stuff back home, I will start a second year of general surgery training in August, its much less structured, but there is heavy operative experience and great deal of autonomy that will help me hone my skills more.

Wanted to ask if I still have chances in the US to complete a surgical residency ? is it advisable to re-apply for the match for a PGY1 catagorical or I dont have chances ? Will going back home for 1 year make my application for PGY2 or PGY1 looks poor instead of staying in US and do research? Do you guys know stories of people who were able to go back again for PGY1 catagorical via the match after 2 years of prelim ?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A few comments...

I was in a similar bout re: right/left handedness. I'm half right, half left handed and when I started doing surgery had similar ambiguity about handedness in surgery. As a junior resident I got lambasted by it ("you can't operate with either hand!") by several attendings. However, having now completed residency and ignoring those comments I am now essentially ambidextrous in the OR and am far better off for it. Now your situation is slightly different as you are prelim and not categorical and hence can't write off certain comments from attendings quite as easily, but I think you should stick to your guns on whichever hand you feel is better and don't keep switching. If your attending can't operate with a left handed resident, he/she is the one who sucks, not you.

Regarding your career path, it seems like the massive mistake was placing too much trust in your PD to find you a spot outside the match and not applying to the match. You shouldn't repeat that mistake again. Any program would love to take a teachable hard-working, intelligent, technically gifted, and well-published resident any day of any week. If there's any potential issue with your CV, it might be your visa status. Are you on a visa or a permanent resident?

Reactions: 1 user
Thats sounds refreshing, thank you!! After hearing the feedback I switched doing almost all things left handed and it feels more natural, although I still suture much better and faster with my Right hand and my left hand is still lagging behind in proficiency. I think its mainly because I have been doing it right handed for long and also a needle holder thing, I realised that I sew much better with Castro lefty, despite that I am not yet comfortable sewing on yielding tissue like bowel with the needle holder left handed, as its pretty chalanging to avoid tourqing the needle with release unless I keep the Jaw unlocked throughtout the whole motion of palming and rolling which also feel unnatural at times. I still have lots of work and practice to do in this regard. True many of the nice attendings I have worked with, told me that life as lefty/Ambidextrious surgeon will be much easier when I get to stand one day on the attending side.

Unfortunately I will require visa sponsorship, am currently on J1. I spoke with ECFMG they will entertain sponsorship for PGY1/PGY2 if I stayed outside the country for year and re-enter.