*Advice Please!* Is there a benefit to a Formal Post Bacc program vs. Informal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a college junior who has taken Bio and Chem but still need to take Orgo and Physics. I've dropped both courses and am thinking of taking them after graduating at college closer to home. My current sGPA is 3.1.

Is it true that Formal post bacc programs won't accept me since I already took half of the premed requirements already? Is there a benefit to the Formal program? I prefer for structured programs because I think I could benefit from their advising support since my current premed advisor is so busy that I don't think he will be too helpful when I apply.

I was also thinking of a Special Masters Program, but you need to finish all the requirements and the MCAT before applying to those, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a college junior who has taken Bio and Chem but still need to take Orgo and Physics. I've dropped both courses and am thinking of taking them after graduating at college closer to home. My current sGPA is 3.1.
Two issues then:
1. you need to complete prereqs
2. you need to "enhance" your GPA with very strong grades in many more classes

If you're looking to take the prereqs at an "easier" school, that would be a mistake. Whatever you don't like about prereqs at your current school is likely to show up again in med school (heavily accented professors, gunner students, competition for A's, large class sizes, etc.). Prereqs are difficult no matter where you take them.

It doesn't matter where you take prereqs, but I suggest that a community college would be a poor choice given your GPA. Don't cast further doubt on your academic capabilities.

W's on your transcripts aren't good, if you dropped late. You'll be expected to answer for grades lower than a B, in general.

Consider that showing you can succeed under a heavy load of all science is an outstanding demonstration of academic capabilities for med school.
Is it true that Formal post bacc programs won't accept me since I already took half of the premed requirements already?
Career changer postbacs won't take you, but there are a ton of other programs. If you spend a bunch of time looking through this forum, you'll see how many options you have, such as UT Dallas, Harvard Extension, Berkeley Extension, etc.
Is there a benefit to the Formal program? I prefer for structured programs because I think I could benefit from their advising support since my current premed advisor is so busy that I don't think he will be too helpful when I apply.
The price tag for a formal program is way too high to solve the problem of weak advising. Also, you can pay the price for a formal program and still not get good advising.

Be a smart consumer: identify what you need, read reviews, evaluate your choices. Cost matters, results matter, location matters, etc. I suggest that completing the prereqs as part of your current degree program is going to be the cheapest, most effective option.
I was also thinking of a Special Masters Program, but you need to finish all the requirements and the MCAT before applying to those, right?
Correct. An SMP would be an expensive way to fully amend issue #2 (from above), after you've solved issue #1 and scored at least average (30+) on the MCAT.

Best of luck to you.

You'll be expected to answer for grades lower than a B, in general.

Do you mean lower than a B-, or lower than an actual B? Because otherwise, I have a lot of explaining to do....

Do you mean lower than a B-, or lower than an actual B? Because otherwise, I have a lot of explaining to do....
Oh, don't sweat B vs. B-.

Mostly I didn't get asked about my transcript contents, but when I did (during interview day at a DO school!) it was excruciating.

Best of luck to you.