Advice/opinions on Doctors and Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freelance writer and contributing editor for a magazine called The New Physician. I've enjoyed reading the comments on this site and wondered if anyone out there who is juggling both parenthood and medical training (whether it's you or a spouse/partner who is in training) might be willing to share what it takes to make it work for an upcoming story I am preparing on the topic. Have you made a choice not to have children because of the demands of being a doctor? That's interesting to me, too.

If you have something to share on this topic, please feel free to send me an e-mail or private message.

Thanks very much,
Beth McNichol

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that most of the people who post in this particular forum are pre-medical and not yet in med school. However, it might help if you check out this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=155518 b/c a few people who are contemplating juggling medical school and children have posted there.

As for myself, I have no idea how I would handle having children while going to medical school, but I never pictured waiting another 6 or 7 years to have children. So it looks like I will have to struggle with this issue sometime in the future as well.

Good luck with your article. :)

TNP said:
what it takes to make it work

I think you have to be willing to see your children much less than you would like. I have a two year old daughter and will be starting med school next summer. Not being able to spend a lot of time with her is going to be one of the disappointing things about this career. Even now, working full time and taking pre-med classes part-time has been a sacrifice. I just hope she doesn't grow up to resent her daddy for not being there more often.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also have to do LOTS of time management. I have two children, 6 and 9 years old. When I went back to school they were 4 and 7, and I was taking 21 credits of science classes a semester. I did lots of homework in the halls between classes, homework while stirring pots on the stove. It helped that I only need about 6 hours of sleep a night, and can function on 4 hours a night for a week or two in a pinch. I'm applying this year to med school while I finish my double science major (in three years). At this point, I do homework on my laptop on the couch while my children are awake (but only if necessary). Weekends I work at the couch, and I do a lot of studying at night.

You make sacrifices where you have to, and manage your time effectively. It's possible, but notably easier with both of my children now in school full-time.

I just want to thank you all for your comments above. We're actually just as interested in what premedical students are thinking about families -- how you may be preparing your children for mom/dad going back to school, for example -- as we are those who are already in med school or residencies, so your thoughts are helpful, as well.

I should have mentioned in the original post: The New Physician is published by the American Medical Student Association, and it reaches a variety of audiences who are members, including premeds, med students, residents and practitioners.

I realize that some of you are just starting out in your medical training, but is anyone thinking ahead to alternative job situations after training, such as job-sharing or part-time work? I've heard this from some other people, mainly those who found the time burden, and time away from children, too much.

Thanks!
Beth

On my end, I am aware training will take up a GREAT deal of time, and my husband is also aware. Fortunately, we are rather used to that kind of time commitment - we met when we were both firefighters, and he has been a police officer with other extra duties which often take him away unexpectedly or for long periods for training (we have had ONE Christmas when he hasn't worked in the 11 years we've been married). Again, fortunately our children are both in school right now, so day time care won't be a problem. At least for a while I shouldn't be having night time rotations, and when that time does come, my daughter should be old enough to handle things from 10pm until 5am (but we hope we can work schedules around this issue).

As for after school and residency? My husband can't wait to retire - we figure he'll have worked for 20 years at that point, so he should retire and it'll be my turn to work. :D :D :D

I had my kid during my 3rd year of medical school. (she is now four.) I don't think its that difficult. But like all things, it takes having an appropriate mental state. I see my kid plenty.

Not sure what your really looking for...