This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moe_eves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently in my senior year of college and plan on applying to medical school in June, right after I graduate (pending a decent MCAT score). Since I will have a gap year between graduation and matriculation into medical school, I am thinking about what I will do during my gap year.
I have a pretty much guaranteed job as an ER tech at a local hospital that I used to be a CNA at. However, I was also considering applying for some jobs as a research assistant. I already have around 2,000 hours of patient care that I accumulated as a CNA, but I don't have as much research experience (2 semesters worth of research in undergrad, a lot of lab courses, poster presentation but no publications). I'm wondering if it would be better to try to something research-related during my gap year since I have less research experience than I do clinical experience, or is this one of those "it's your gap year, do whatever you'd rather do" situations?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently in my senior year of college and plan on applying to medical school in June, right after I graduate (pending a decent MCAT score). Since I will have a gap year between graduation and matriculation into medical school, I am thinking about what I will do during my gap year.
I have a pretty much guaranteed job as an ER tech at a local hospital that I used to be a CNA at. However, I was also considering applying for some jobs as a research assistant. I already have around 2,000 hours of patient care that I accumulated as a CNA, but I don't have as much research experience (2 semesters worth of research in undergrad, a lot of lab courses, poster presentation but no publications). I'm wondering if it would be better to try to something research-related during my gap year since I have less research experience than I do clinical experience, or is this one of those "it's your gap year, do whatever you'd rather do" situations?

I think it is a "it's your gap year, do whatever you'd rather do" situations. 2 semesters of research with a poster should be adequate unless you think you are going to be competetive for top 20 schools

If you get into med school, then I would recommend taking the rest of the time traveling or doing something you like. You're going to be working really hard for the next 4 years! If you get into a school, you need a break from everything schools related and just recharge so you'll be ready for when you start! And you can't do much within that short time period, nothing that'll make a HUGE impact on your med school career anyways. I backpacked for 6 months and it was the best decision I could have make!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I agree with @cyang55. If you get in then go do something you genuinely enjoy. If its working in a lab then do that, but if it's not, then don't ruin your life.

I'm currently a senior who will be doing the same. I will be applying for research jobs/programs since I am thinking about applying MD-PhD.

Research assistant jobs that will take you for only one year are rare and hard to come by. This is because meaningful research can hardly be completed in a year unless one already has preliminary data that the project will work and there will be no pitfalls. You might be able to find a job as clinical research coordinator or the like though. In some data-driven fields, one may be able to get enough data to publish in a year.