Advice on who to do research with and how long for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Gillies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I was hoping to get some advice on structuring the following academic year (off from UK IMG postgraduate training) which will be spent in the US mostly studying for the USMLEs (1, 2ck, 2cs 5 days per week) and doing some research (2 days per week) with the hope of getting into a plastic surgery residency program (via integrated or gen surg route).

I have the following options for research:
1) Plastic surgery cadaveric/clinical research in major centre with plastic surgery program director who I have already observed for 2 months and has agreed to write a LOR.
2) Aesthetic srugery with an internationally renoun plastic surgeon included in the following top 20 plastic surgeons listed here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=708296. I have already published with him and he has agreed to write a LOR. His name carries a lot of weight both in the US and UK (might be better if I wanted to apply in the UK?). However, it would be aesthetic surgery (and not in a training centre) therefore not sure how it would be perseaved on job applications.
3) Renal or pancreatic transplant surgery in the above major centre with Chief of Surgery. I don't know him but thanks to close friends I would be able to spend time with him. I suppose it might help if I applied in general surgery in that centre (and potentially then transfer to plastics).
4) Islet cell transplant surgery in another major centre with an internationally renoun and nobel prize candidate surgeon. I don't know him but he is a close family friend. It might help if I apply through the gen surg route but he is not involved in selection of residents.
5) Ask any of the above to connect me with other surgeons (plastics or general) to help me find something else. eg program director in the former major centre who does research in melanoma.

The other matter to consider is time distribution ie whether I should stick to 1 or 2 doctors for the whole year, or try to spend some time with all of them.

I obviously feel very lucky for these opportunities but I need to think stratigically in terms of time (ie I can dedicate to the research vs USMLE) and who I do my research with (ie that might be most helpful if I went to a residency interview).

Please let me know what you think for both 1) research option (ideally ranking them) and 2) time distribution.

Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Please guys, I really need some advice.
Thanks in advance.

if you want plastics, forget general surgery research. Find a research position where there is an integrated program, spend at least 2 years, and get in that way. Get at least a 240 on both your boards. Goto a place that has a reputation of taking in research fellows. You dont want to be used for a few years and not be given a job after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this belongs in the PRS subspecialty forum if a mod is able to move it.

Agree with prs2012. General Surgery research is useless if you're interested in the integrated pathway, especially as an IMG looking to build connections in an academic plastic surgery training program. Option 1 seems like the better choice.

Off the top of my head, a couple of places that have historically matched IMGs with successful plastic surgery research: University of Chicago, UTSW, NYU, Pitt.

I would attempt to make yourself a known commodity to the entire division/department that you would be doing research under if you do choose option 1 - obviously have an extremely close relationship with your PI/mentor, but be well known and well liked with all attendings and clinical residents as well. Attend conference/indications etc.

With 2 years of research, you could dedicate more time to the USMLE and licensing in the early part of your first year of research, while you're waiting for IRBs and grants - and the rest of your research time you could spend in the lab unencumbered

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice!

Just a clarification. The reason I was even considering to spend sometime with general surgeons (either doing research or externhisps) was from previous advice. They suggested to get to know some general surgeons for LORs and possibly for a residency spot, and then move to plastics from there. My understanding is that for IMGs, integrated route is exceptionally hard and therefore I thought it might be good to keep both options open.

I will then follow your advice and stick to my first option. Could you clarify what IRBs stand for?

Many thanks again for taking the time to help me.

IRBs are the institutional review boards, the lazy, OCD f***sticks that make it their job to slow your research down for stupid reasons and never gives timely responses. The hospital/academic committee that second guesses you and makes sure your research is all politically correct.

I would say 1>2 b/c you've already published with 2 but getting your name in implies a stronger connection than just a great letter (two letters from one guy<one letter from each of 2) plus reconstructive is easier to 'defend' in CASE you get someone who doesn't respond well (or just chooses to put you in the 'hot seat' on interview, etc) to cosmetic surgery 100%.

If you consider anything else make sure its PRS; if you've published PRS then later in time publish GS it won't per se hurt you but it does look like you're wavering or worse yet moving 'backwards' for PRS matching. If you're looking to find out who to spend more time with, or for another fantastic LOR, then your decision should be guided from personal heads up you get in talking with people who are on the ground working or training in the locations you're considering. How do you get this info? You call people cold. Be polite. Do not email (it is easy to ignore emails OR forward them...) but find out who is the best known and also takes time to get to know students personally and get the letter from that PRS. Takes time and is a pain to do this, and you'll be re-inventing the wheel because any serious competitor's heads up on this matter is suspect information. But, that is why it creates a serious advantage for you - everyone else gets nervous calling people on a directory search cold b/c its rude and what if they tell the person and they won't consider you (they won't they're too busy), or just hate calling would rather BCC spam email people, etc etc. GL, and I'm sure there are other ways than I suggested here.