advice on whether or not to retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdremixed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to post/something is off, this is my first time!

I just took my DAT today and am feeling really :/ about it. I got a 23 AA, 20 TS, 21 PAT, 26 RC, 26 QR, 21 Bio, 21 GC, 19 OC. The orgo score in particular has me wondering if I should retake—I’m wondering if a 20 TS is considered competitive or not in an app. I know that my 23 AA is only because I scored highly in two sections that aren’t weighted as heavily, and so I’d appreciate any advice on whether it’s worth it for me to retake!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you're fine, especially if you earned an A in the Orgo 1 and 2 courses! 23 is a fantastic score!! How'd you prepare?!

Reactions: 1 user
I think youre fine; RC is actually pretty important to some schools i think so a 26 is super good !

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say you're fine, especially if you earned an A in the Orgo 1 and 2 courses! 23 is a fantastic score!! How'd you prepare?!
That’s just the thing—I got a B first sem of orgo and a C+ the second sem. My situation is a little different in that I’m a nontraditional applicant. I graduated from undergrad and decided afterwards that I wanted to pursue dental school, so I took time to re/take classes and I work as a dental assistant now. I didn’t retake organic chemistry, and so those grades are from a few years ago.

Thank you very much for the compliment! I pretty much followed Bootcamp’s schedule letter for letter for my prep.

That’s just the thing—I got a B first sem of orgo and a C+ the second sem. My situation is a little different in that I’m a nontraditional applicant. I graduated from undergrad and decided afterwards that I wanted to pursue dental school, so I took time to re/take classes and I work as a dental assistant now. I didn’t retake organic chemistry, and so those grades are from a few years ago.

Thank you very much for the compliment! I pretty much followed Bootcamp’s schedule letter for letter for my prep.
You'll be fine as long as you didn't get a C- in orgo. C+ is fine.