Advice on What I should do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Wow it has been a long time since I have posted on Student Doctor Network. A lot has changed since the last time I have posted. The biggest change was that I withdrawn from the unaccredited masters in counseling program that I was in almost half a year ago. During the last 6 months, I have worked at my local grocery store and have really realized that my true passion is helping people and would like to commit my future career to Clinical Social Work.

The only thing that is preventing me from starting school again is figuring out the path that I should take. My end goal would be to get my MSW, become a LCSW and maybe someday get a doctorate in Social Work. The thing that I am most worried about is my undergraduate GPA which was a 2.6.

Some options I have thought about was:
1) Finishing up my remaining undergraduate credits in Psychology (I graduated with a BA in History) and then apply to MSW programs
2) Apply to BSW programs and then apply to MSW programs
3) Try to apply to MSW programs, pray I get into a state school's MSW program or end up doing either option 1 or 2.

So in conclusion, which path do you all think is the better option?

Members don't see this ad.

You may consider a post-bacc program to rehab your GPA if there is one in your area. I don't know if another full bachelor's degree is necessary, but you should have some explanation for your GPA when you go to apply. Social workers are an understanding bunch, but you will still need to show some record of success. Postbacc could be in psych, but often this isn't necessary for social work. Still, I don't think it's a terrible idea to have a strong scientific background before entering a social work program.

Do a post-bacc program. No point in going back to school for a whole new undergrad degree.
If doing a post-bacc program is out of the question for xyz reasons, apply to local schools for MSW program and cross your fingers (and I mean have a strong personal statement and professional recommendations).
As a social worker, we are definitely an understanding bunch :)

Reactions: 1 users