Advice on what I should do Next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zero_Nature

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to graduate with a really low GPA: a little above a 3.2. I know this is far from competitive and I plan on taking a post bacc. I wanted to describe everything I've done so far. I would then appreciate further advice on what I should do to improve my application as I am going to take a gap year to study for my mcat and improve my application.

1) Worked all 4 years- my most recent job is as an online English teacher for primarily Chinese kids between the ages of 5- 12 (going to work towards getting my TEFL certification)
2) Played college water polo for 2 years
3) 200+ volunteer hours at a hospital in the cardiac and cancer PCU
4) 50+ volunteer hours at a daycare center
5) Organic chemistry TA (after failing orgo 3 times which is the reason my gpa plummeted...)
6) 50+ shadowing hours under a plastic surgeon
7) 2 minors in biology and psychology

I have no research. I know my application is not the best. I would like some honest advice on what I should do next. I also would like to mention that I do not own a car and I have to pay to drive everywhere I go so I am limited in that sense. Thank you for helping me out in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you taken the MCAT? What is your sGPA? What state are you from? Are you URM? What year are you in?
Depending on the answers and how you do for the remainder of your undergraduate degree you might be okay for DO programs. Your GPA is pretty low for MD.
You need some primary care shadowing. If you are considering DO find a DO to
shadow so you can get a letter. You also need nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community. People that are less fortunate than yourself. Don’t worry about research. With your GPA you won’t be applying to the schools that really want research from their applicants. Good luck!

How long ago were the Fs?

GPA is fine for DO with a good MCAT (506+)
MD will need post bacc/SMP and 513+

Try to shadow some other specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am senior. The bad grades were throughout junior year primarily because of organic chemistry. All of my chemistry classes for that matter aren't strong grade wise, but I did pass the others. I haven't taken my MCAT score. I plan on taking it after I've graduated and have time to sufficiently study for it. I also live in Florida.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep it all in mind.

Junior year is still pretty recent.

If you have Florida residency definitely go the post-bacc route. It's a very lucky state for low stat applicants.
If you can bump your gpa into 3.4/3.5 range and do well on the MCAT you should have a good chance.

Just make sure to add DO schools when you do apply as a safety and get a DO letter. I would try to get another 100 hours of clinical experience, more volunteering to the undeserved and shadow another 1-2 physicians.

As you are now, you'd probably be able to get into a newer DO school with a 500+ MCAT.