Advice on visa situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nameless MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice on how feasible it is for a program to make an exception about their visa policies. Right now, I'm on a F-1 OPT expiring mid-next year, but my current research job is making moves to process an H-1B for me. The problem is H-1B is a dual intent visa, and so having an application on my record implies immigrant intent. I have very strong hopes of getting into a psych program in the current residency cycle, but they only offer J visas. J visas are considered non-immigrant visas and only issued after having proved non-immigrant intent. I don't mind being on a J if it's a program I like, but the complication with my current workplace may make it an issue. It's not reasonable to tell my supervisor to hold off my H-1B visa processing when I haven't gotten into residency yet, but at the same time, going ahead with it could affect getting the program I really want.

Is there a possibility of a program making an exception on their visa policies for a single resident or should I reassess my program options? I'm a bit confused about what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go to med school in the US as a non-citizen? If so, many programs will allow you to be on an H1b.
If not, if you are already on a H1 visa, then many programs will allow an H1b transfer. What this means is they will apply for an H1 visa for you, even though they would not if you were not already on that visa.

Many programs will say they do not sponsor H1b visas but they actually do. In order to find out whether this is possible read through the GME policy for the institution (not the residency program). You can also use this website to find out if a hospital has resident physicians on an H1b visa. Sometimes programs don't even know what they are talking about because they may not run into this situation very often.

Some institutions like Columbia want residents on an O1 visa rather than an H1b, but this is actually quite expensive

That said, many programs soured on H1b visas during the trump years as some residents did not get their visas leaving the programs stranded. Hopefully this will be less of a concern now. And some programs will not consider an H1b visa at all (even for residents already on it). When you interview for programs, you will discuss this with the program director. Depending on how much they like you, they will decide whether they will sponsor you. I remember one PD told me they could not sponsor an H1b as it was not "allowed". I knew they were lying as a I met a resident when I interviewed who was on that visa, so it meant they weren't that into me but were not willing to be honest about it. For fellowship, my PD had told me initially they wouldn't sponsor an H1 visa but they did.

Finally, people do transfer from an H1b visa to a J1 visa. It's not recommended, but it's not a big deal. You are making an issue of "immigrant intent" v "non immigrant intent" but that is not a thing. So apply for all programs you are interested in and consider the visa issue when you make your rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you go to med school in the US as a non-citizen? If so, many programs will allow you to be on an H1b.
If not, if you are already on a H1 visa, then many programs will allow an H1b transfer. What this means is they will apply for an H1 visa for you, even though they would not if you were not already on that visa.

Many programs will say they do not sponsor H1b visas but they actually do. In order to find out whether this is possible read through the GME policy for the institution (not the residency program). You can also use this website to find out if a hospital has resident physicians on an H1b visa. Sometimes programs don't even know what they are talking about because they may not run into this situation very often.

Some institutions like Columbia want residents on an O1 visa rather than an H1b, but this is actually quite expensive

That said, many programs soured on H1b visas during the trump years as some residents did not get their visas leaving the programs stranded. Hopefully this will be less of a concern now. And some programs will not consider an H1b visa at all (even for residents already on it). When you interview for programs, you will discuss this with the program director. Depending on how much they like you, they will decide whether they will sponsor you. I remember one PD told me they could not sponsor an H1b as it was not "allowed". I knew they were lying as a I met a resident when I interviewed who was on that visa, so it meant they weren't that into me but were not willing to be honest about it. For fellowship, my PD had told me initially they wouldn't sponsor an H1 visa but they did.

Finally, people do transfer from an H1b visa to a J1 visa. It's not recommended, but it's not a big deal. You are making an issue of "immigrant intent" v "non immigrant intent" but that is not a thing. So apply for all programs you are interested in and consider the visa issue when you make your rank list.
Thank you so much @splik for your response! I did not school in the US, but I checked the GME policy for the institution and they can offer me an H1b. They've also had fellows on the H1b visa but that was six years ago. Still, it shows that it is not impossible. Thanks again, I feel much better having a clearer picture of everything.