Advice on university choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fyredraka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to give some background: I'm an american citizen, who is currently attending an international MD program in Europe. I have not completed an undergraduate degree. I am doing a 6 year program, and at the end I will hold a MD.

I was told by someone who works in residency matchups that I should consider transferring into an undergraduate in the states, complete my undergrad in two years, and then do an MCAT. (aka start pretty much from scratch)

I'm currently not sure what to do. Do AMGs really have that much of a competitive edge over IMGs? At the moment I am projected to start the residency matching process in approximately 4-6 years.

I'm very conflicted as I don't tend to score well in basic sciences, but I score much higher in tougher subjects. Currently I am guaranteed to have my degree in hand, albeit it will be an European degree. If I transfer, I would be unsure if I would even get into a medical school.

I do have connections in the states, however, I don't know how useful these connections will be for me in 4-6 years time.

If you could lend me some insight into this that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Just so I can hear it from you, where do you want to practice medicine at? In the USA or Europe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you go to Europe in the first place?

In general, AMGs are preferred over IMGs because they have more experience with the US healthcare system from their med school rotations. While not all IMGs are created equally (ie, coming from a well-respected school in Europe is probably preferable to a random island in the Caribbean), you also are eventually going to need to take and pass the US medical licensing exams (USMLE) steps 1, 2 and 3. Since I wouldn't think that a European school would cater to the testing points on USMLE, you'll probably need to take some significant time on your own to study for those exams if you want to get a score that will make you competitive for residencies.

If your goal is truly to practice in the US, and you're still relatively early in this 6 year process, it might make sense to pursue an undergraduate degree and then try to matriculate at a US medical school; if you're halfway through, maybe it doesn't. But without knowing how far you are in the process, how good your medical program is, or your reasons for being in Europe in the first place, only you can determine if that would be worth it to you.

Just to give some background: I'm an american citizen, who is currently attending an international MD program in Europe. I have not completed an undergraduate degree. I am doing a 6 year program, and at the end I will hold a MD.

I was told by someone who works in residency matchups that I should consider transferring into an undergraduate in the states, complete my undergrad in two years, and then do an MCAT. (aka start pretty much from scratch)

I'm currently not sure what to do. Do AMGs really have that much of a competitive edge over IMGs? At the moment I am projected to start the residency matching process in approximately 4-6 years.

I'm very conflicted as I don't tend to score well in basic sciences, but I score much higher in tougher subjects. Currently I am guaranteed to have my degree in hand, albeit it will be an European degree. If I transfer, I would be unsure if I would even get into a medical school.

I do have connections in the states, however, I don't know how useful these connections will be for me in 4-6 years time.

You shouldn’t have gone internationally if you’re a bad basic sciences test taker (you haven’t had any medically difficult sciences yet). Your IMG status knocks you out of the top tier already, and lower than average test performance knocks you to low tier at best. That being said, you can afford to lose a year or two re-applying since you have an accelerated course. If I were you, I’d stay where you are but you need to work very hard to do well on the USMLE and be prepared to accept the fact that’s you may not match if you don’t. If you’re not OK with that just come back and go through the US system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It's important for us to know which European country this is, and what type of a residency you're intending on pursuing.

It's important for us to know which European country this is, and what type of a residency you're intending on pursuing.
Italy. The program is an international md course focused on the USMLE. They give us an NBME exam to do every year to assess how their students are doing and if the program needs to be improved.

When you say you do much better in tougher courses than basic sciences, what are the tougher courses you are referring to?

Reactions: 1 user
The simple answer to your question is yes, AMGs are highly preferred over IMGs and have a distinct advantage in matching.

How large that advantage is depends on the school/region you're coming from. I don't know which school you attend, and I don't know your story or overall application. I'd imagine if you go a reputable school in Italy you'd have a leg up on the average Caribbean applicant, but it's not a certain thing.

It's certainly possible to match from your current school, but your odds are lower. You can always find anecdotes of IMGs from your country/school who matched. But if you want to put yourself in the best position and give yourself the best odds of matching (and into a field that you actually enjoy, instead of being forced into a certain field because of your IMG status) then going to medical school in the US is the smarter choice.