This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misohappi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like some advice/opinion on my plan for doing a post bacc.

A little background info:

I am a 22 year old female working full time as software engineer for a little over a year. I have a BS in Computer Science with a cGPA of 3.67 and sGPA of 3.17.
My GPA trend (in order of semesters from freshmen to senior)
3.16 I got a D+ in Physics here
3.85 Part-time student last semester

I've taken some of my classes as pass/fail. None of them were sciences though so I'm not sure how it'll be viewed/factored into my GPA.
The only science class I took were physics (which I need to retake) and the Biology of Cancer and Aids

I would like to do a post bacc pre med program at Harvard extension school. It's the cheapest option (aside from CC), classes are in the evening so I can still work, advising available, smaller class size, ability to potentially get LORs. Ideally I'd like to continue working full-time and do the program part-time. I still have some debt from undergrad, I live in a high cost area, and my parents cannot support me (they're already paying for my younger brother's college). My job has flexible work hours. I do not have to be in the office from 9-5, the hours can be spread out so long as you're getting your work done. Some people come in early and leave early and some work an extra hour each day then take Friday off. I am also allowed to work from home.

I have at least 8 courses to take for pre reqs, so ideal situation is 2 classes per semester taking 2 years to finish the program.

I imagine workload of class + full time job will be quite heavy.

I would love to hear people's experience and how they manage to juggle work and class.

I'd also need to get ECs in. I cannot apply to the post bacc program til fall, so I can go heavier on my ECs til then.

In best case scenario this would take me 3 years.

I mostly want to hear people's opinion on my timeline, any advice, ancedotes, and what not.

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan was similar to mine and it worked for me...I did a lot of volunteering before my post-bacc began and then again once it ended and I was studying for MCAT, preparing to apply, etc.

Added bonus of working on the ECs while waiting for classes to start, is that you get the clinical exposure, and shadowing to help you confirm if you really want to go down this path.

MCAT prep - don't take it till you're ready, even if it means delaying applications; my post bacc ended in May and I really wanted to take the MCAT right away to apply that first cycle. I didn't and I'm glad I waited. It tacked on a lot of extra time (and I'm old already), but it likely made the difference between an MCAT score that shows I can handle it and and MCAT score that says 'nope'.

Volunteering (clinical & otherwise) - start now, find stuff you enjoy; if you can't keep it up during your work/classes, you can pick it up again once you're done.

Juggling/Getting Good Grades - make a plan and stick with it; if you know you have to study for six hours each day of the weekend, make it happen or you'll find yourself behind quickly. It's nice that as a Computer Science major you didn't have too much BCPM yet, so your sGPA can only go up! (I'm guessing you had some calculus somewhere in there...that's part of the AMCAS BCPM GPA as well) Dedicate the time needed to get all As :)

Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Your plan is doable. I work ~25 hours a week (partially from home), volunteer and/or shadow weekly, and take 2-3 classes per semester (I’m trying to take as many upper levels as possible and also round out with some behavioral and social science courses). I’m planning on ramping up my volunteer hours and you’ll find others on this site who have a heavier schedule than mine. It’s not easy, but it’s quite possible.

I’ll add too that I still have time for recreation and family/friends, so the post-bacc journey doesn’t have to wreck your personal life. Med school will take care of that ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT prep - don't take it till you're ready, even if it means delaying applications; my post bacc ended in May and I really wanted to take the MCAT right away to apply that first cycle. I didn't and I'm glad I waited. It tacked on a lot of extra time (and I'm old already), but it likely made the difference between an MCAT score that shows I can handle it and and MCAT score that says 'nope'.

Were you working while studying? If so, how many hours were you able to commit to studying each day?

Your plan was similar to mine and it worked for me...I did a lot of volunteering before my post-bacc began and then again once it ended and I was studying for MCAT, preparing to apply, etc.

Added bonus of working on the ECs while waiting for classes to start, is that you get the clinical exposure, and shadowing to help you confirm if you really want to go down this path.

Volunteering (clinical & otherwise) - start now, find stuff you enjoy; if you can't keep it up during your work/classes, you can pick it up again once you're done.

Juggling/Getting Good Grades - make a plan and stick with it; if you know you have to study for six hours each day of the weekend, make it happen or you'll find yourself behind quickly. It's nice that as a Computer Science major you didn't have too much BCPM yet, so your sGPA can only go up! (I'm guessing you had some calculus somewhere in there...that's part of the AMCAS BCPM GPA as well) Dedicate the time needed to get all As :)

Good luck!!

I feel the same. On one hand I don't like the idea of delaying my start but I think having til is a good way for me to get more time for experience and explore. It'll either confirm and motivate me more or not (which is fine cause I'll appreciate not jumping into it).

If/when I get to the MCAT stage I might try to go from full-time to part-time. But I'll see when that time comes.
My sGPA includes Calc 2, multivariate calc, linear algebra, physics, and a random bio class. Mostly math, I hope to bring it up.

Did you work during your post bacc? If so was it in a health-related field where you could get relevant experience?

Your plan is doable. I work ~25 hours a week (partially from home), volunteer and/or shadow weekly, and take 2-3 classes per semester (I’m trying to take as many upper levels as possible and also round out with some behavioral and social science courses). I’m planning on ramping up my volunteer hours and you’ll find others on this site who have a heavier schedule than mine. It’s not easy, but it’s quite possible.

I’ll add too that I still have time for recreation and family/friends, so the post-bacc journey doesn’t have to wreck your personal life. Med school will take care of that ;)

What kind of job were you working? Were your coworkers and boss aware that you're looking to go to med school?

Hi everyone,

I cannot apply to the post bacc program til fall...In best case scenario this would take me 3 years.

I mostly want to hear people's opinion on my timeline, any advice, ancedotes, and what not.

Did you mean start the program in the Fall or apply in the Fall? Because applications for the Fall start from Feb of this year to May, you'd have to apply now to start this Fall. And if you mean apply this Fall, you'd apply this time next year for the following Fall, which would mean you'd finish in 3 years but it will be at least 4 years until med school.

Also, I've heard good things about HES, but some people don't like it. How rigorous was your undergrad? Make sure you have a strong science background, or you might struggle Transferring Post-Bac Programs

Did you mean start the program in the Fall or apply in the Fall? Because applications for the Fall start from Feb of this year to May, you'd have to apply now to start this Fall. And if you mean apply this Fall, you'd apply this time next year for the following Fall, which would mean you'd finish in 3 years but it will be at least 4 years until med school.

Also, I've heard good things about HES, but some people don't like it. How rigorous was your undergrad? Make sure you have a strong science background, or you might struggle Transferring Post-Bac Programs

I somehow forgot that in order to start in fall I would need to apply. Boy am I glad you commented.
I would like to start in fall but I do not think I will not be accepted though if I apply now. My resume does not have ECs.
And although the letter of recommendation is optional I think it will hinder me if I don't have one. I have not remain in contact with my professors from undergrad, and I'm hesitant about asking my supervisor for one since they would know that I am looking to change career.

I'm not sure how bad it would be for me to apply now and not get accepted vs applying next year.

I somehow forgot that in order to start in fall I would need to apply. Boy am I glad you commented.
I would like to start in fall but I do not think I will not be accepted though if I apply now. My resume does not have ECs.
And although the letter of recommendation is optional I think it will hinder me if I don't have one. I have not remain in contact with my professors from undergrad, and I'm hesitant about asking my supervisor for one since they would know that I am looking to change career.

I'm not sure how bad it would be for me to apply now and not get accepted vs applying next year.

It shouldn't be too hard to get accepted, the program pretty much accepts anyone and gives them a chance to prove themselves (they won't sponsor you with a committee letter if they don't think your GPA/MCAT is competitive).

That being said, it's also possible just to enroll in classes for the Fall (you don't need to be in the program to enroll, anyone can), see how well you do, then apply and your old classes will be grandfathered in. Good luck!

What kind of job were you working? Were your coworkers and boss aware that you're looking to go to med school?

I’m an SLP and also do some clinical informatics work.
I’ve made it a point to be honest about my plans with managers and supervisors, and they have been supportive. This journey of getting into med school needs to be your priority and you should structure your life accordingly. If someone told me a job wouldn’t fit with a post bacc schedule, I would find one that does. For that reason, manager support is essential, in my opinion. As for co-workers, that’s up to you. Some I’ve told, some I haven’t.

Were you working while studying? If so, how many hours were you able to commit to studying each day?

Did you work during your post bacc? If so was it in a health-related field where you could get relevant experience?

I worked full time and then some throughout the postbacc and MCAT prep - but this is generally not a good plan.

During post bacc: I would get up around 4 or 5 each day to get in an hour of two of studying before getting my kids up and ready and off to school. I was in the office from 8-4 (lunch at desk) and then went straight to class each night. I got home around 9:30 most nights, ate dinner with my husband and sometimes would do another hour or two of work or just go to bed. I often had work calls after class at night or early in the morning before the kids woke up. I put in as many hours as I could on the weekends, I'd say about 6+ hours each day - I brought my backpack to every game/competition/match I could. I missed some events while studying at home. But I had 11-12 units each semester, so more than two classes.

During MCAT prep: This was harder because my family felt like I was "back" and could do all my normal after work stuff. I still had the same work schedule, but also now participated in leading scouts, coaching teams, going to all the practices and events. I still tried to get up early to study for an hour or two before getting the kids to school and then I tried to put in another hour or two in the evenings (flashcards/prep books sitting in the stands was often all I could get in). I often would get up early to study on Saturday before all the kid activities started as well. And my materials came with me everywhere. There were big eye-rolls when we'd be out to dinner and I'd pull out my flash cards while waiting for the waitress to come take our order. I formally calendared my practice tests so that it was pre-planned for everyone to see that I was not available at all on those days (Sundays had the least conflict with kid activities)

My job was/is not in healthcare. I already had a pretty well established career outside of medicine before making this switch and changing to healthcare would have required a steep pay cut that we weren't willing to take without knowing it would pan out. Avoiding the steep pay cut allowed us to save for med school and also pay for more childcare when I was not available at nights.

So...make a plan and stick with it. You can find the hours and squeeze them in if you really focus:)

I worked full time and then some throughout the postbacc and MCAT prep - but this is generally not a good plan.

During post bacc: I would get up around 4 or 5 each day to get in an hour of two of studying before getting my kids up and ready and off to school. I was in the office from 8-4 (lunch at desk) and then went straight to class each night. I got home around 9:30 most nights, ate dinner with my husband and sometimes would do another hour or two of work or just go to bed. I often had work calls after class at night or early in the morning before the kids woke up. I put in as many hours as I could on the weekends, I'd say about 6+ hours each day - I brought my backpack to every game/competition/match I could. I missed some events while studying at home. But I had 11-12 units each semester, so more than two classes.

During MCAT prep: This was harder because my family felt like I was "back" and could do all my normal after work stuff. I still had the same work schedule, but also now participated in leading scouts, coaching teams, going to all the practices and events. I still tried to get up early to study for an hour or two before getting the kids to school and then I tried to put in another hour or two in the evenings (flashcards/prep books sitting in the stands was often all I could get in). I often would get up early to study on Saturday before all the kid activities started as well. And my materials came with me everywhere. There were big eye-rolls when we'd be out to dinner and I'd pull out my flash cards while waiting for the waitress to come take our order. I formally calendared my practice tests so that it was pre-planned for everyone to see that I was not available at all on those days (Sundays had the least conflict with kid activities)

My job was/is not in healthcare. I already had a pretty well established career outside of medicine before making this switch and changing to healthcare would have required a steep pay cut that we weren't willing to take without knowing it would pan out. Avoiding the steep pay cut allowed us to save for med school and also pay for more childcare when I was not available at nights.

So...make a plan and stick with it. You can find the hours and squeeze them in if you really focus:)
hqdefault.jpg

Wow! Kudos to you for all that hard work. I can't imagine taking more than 2 classes with family and work. But looks like your hardwork paid off so congrats! :)

Thankfully I am single and only need to support myself. I understand it's not a good idea to work and do post bacc at the same time but I really can't leave my job. I have about 25k in student loans to pay back and there's no way my parents can support me. Worst case scenario I try to go part time on my current job, but hopefully it wont come to that. I've only been working for a little more than a year and leaving now would look pretty bad. I should go all in, but the reality is there's a chance that I don't make it to med school and will have a 3 year~ gap of unemployment. I doubt employers will think positively of me leaving my job to pursue another career, failing, then trying to come back after being out of practice.

Thank you so much for your response. It's quite motivating and inspirational! I have more thinking and planning to do.

Hi hamiltonnyc -

Would it be possible to talk with you about your experience at HES? I'm having difficulty figuring out how to directly message you...

Thanks!

-Q
For sure, I changed message settings try now.

Wow! Kudos to you for all that hard work. I can't imagine taking more than 2 classes with family and work. But looks like your hardwork paid off so congrats! :)

Thankfully I am single and only need to support myself. I understand it's not a good idea to work and do post bacc at the same time but I really can't leave my job. I have about 25k in student loans to pay back and there's no way my parents can support me. Worst case scenario I try to go part time on my current job, but hopefully it wont come to that. I've only been working for a little more than a year and leaving now would look pretty bad. I should go all in, but the reality is there's a chance that I don't make it to med school and will have a 3 year~ gap of unemployment. I doubt employers will think positively of me leaving my job to pursue another career, failing, then trying to come back after being out of practice.

Thank you so much for your response. It's quite motivating and inspirational! I have more thinking and planning to do.

I worked 3/4 time while doing full time post bacc and then went back to full time work while studying for the MCAT. It can definitely be done! You would be surprised when you actually plan out your days and weekends how much stuff you can cut out if being a doctor is worth it to you. Also, I became much more efficient in my studying (thank you Anki)... which saved some time.

Thank you for sharing how you did this. I have 3 children (13, 6, and 8 months) and am the sole earner in our house. Quitting to take classes is not an option right now. Fortunately, I don't need many prereqs, but I do need to take some upper level classes. I have been having a terrible time finding night classes, but it is nice to see someone has done it successfully. Seriously, I hope you know how amazing you are.