Advice on taking classes pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimattack2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an economics course that I might get a B in and rather than have that affecting my GPA, I'd rather just make the course pass/fail. It is non-major and non-premed. I also have credit for the class from highschool, I just wanted to take the class to learn some economics. Can anyone give me some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken a few courses Pass/Fail and it hasn't come up in any of my interviews. The courses I did P/F were courses I was interested in but wanted to take the class without having to worry about a specific letter grade (ie making an A)

I think if you have a good GPA and have had tough semesters where you did well, but also have some P/F classes it's not a big deal

I'm wondering about this topic. I know having to take the prerequisites for a letter grade is a given. Despite adcoms insisting that taking non-prerequisites pass/fail won't affect my application negatively, an advisor told me that adcoms in reality want to see everything taken for a grade. I was told that if I took any classes pass/fail that my options would be to ask for the actual grades to be uncovered on the transcript sent to AMCAS, or let adcoms assume that I got a C where I got a P…they would wonder "if you could have gotten a good grade, why did I not take it for a grade". How true is this?

I have an economics course that I might get a B in and rather than have that affecting my GPA, I'd rather just make the course pass/fail. It is non-major and non-premed. I also have credit for the class from highschool, I just wanted to take the class to learn some economics. Can anyone give me some advice?
Doesn't necessarily matter, protect the GPA.