Advice on reapplication after personal leave of absence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migor_rortis

Reaction score
Earlier this year, at the beginning of spring semester, I went through some very difficult emotional times that ended in a drug overdose. Needless to say, I had to get out of the situation that I was in the entire context of which had to be left behind for good. The place, the people, and even what I'd decided on as a career. But instead of dropping out of school, I spoke to my counselor and he allowed me to take a personal leave of absence. Obviously, I didn't tell him the whole story, but what I did tell him was sufficient to remain in good academic standing.

My transcript states "dropped" for the entire semester.

Since then, I've been working at a CLIA-certified hematopathology reference laboratory as a technician, doing flow cytometry. I needed the money and the professional experience, because I didn't think I'd be going back to pharamacy. However, a lot of personal reflection has happened since then, and I'm certain that I want to continue in pharamacy. Perhaps I'll do something more academic than just retail, but I want to go back and make it a career.

I'm reapplying to very few schools; I know where I want to be, geographically speaking. Before I left school, I was very academically competitive. I was admitted into more than one top-ten school almost effortlessly. My one semester at the school I ended up going to had me at the top of the class by semester's end.

I'm trying to figure out how much and what I should say about my work experience during this interim period. I help develop immunophentoyping assays for my company's clients, which include the biggest names in big pharma. Obviously, the PhDs do most of the work, but I'm producing their data as a technician. This experience has reignited my love for the science involved in healthcare itself; I want to be more involved in research going forward. For this reason, I'd like to consider a combined PharmD/PhD, or at least a PhD after finishing my professional degree in pharmacy. How (or even) can I use this experience to build an appropriate scientific resume with that dual degree in mind?

Moreover and perhaps more importantly, I need to figure out how to explain the semester I dropped and the reason for my transfer. As far as the latter, I've learned that I need to be very close to my immediate family. So close is where I'm applying. But I don't quite know how to explain my departure from my former school, and the circumstances surrounding it. Can I tell them what I told my counselor, that I was emotionally stressed from deaths in my immediate family? My apprehensions are that they'll doubt my ability to perform at the level I did for the remaining three years of pharmacy school, and whatever scientific degree I undertake simultaneously or afterwards? Do I even need to explain it much? Or can I just make some sideways references to emotional difficulty?

Will admissions committees follow up with these matters after primaries? Interviews? Obviously, I could be brutally honest, but I doubt that's the most advantageous approach.

Before anyone says it, I'm recovered and drugs aren't a problem anymore. There have been drastic changes in my life and the philosophy by which I lead it. So please, unless directly relevant to my application, let's put that aside.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

The takeaway is you want to do something more academic & scientific. Don't apply to pharmacy school. The vast majority of pharmacists use what they've learned in school to maintain daily operations. In the current job climate, I wouldn't advise anyone to go to pharmacy school who isn't okay with working retail or being unemployed for months after graduation. The average pharmacist's job is application based. If you want to do something research oriented, just pursue the PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds very interesting what you do at your current work- you seem to be good at it and enjoy it also.
Is there any role for PharmD's at your current company?
If not I'm not seeing much point in getting one.

As far as the interview goes, you don't have to go into specific detail.
Play don't ask don't tell if you can- just say you had an family emergency if they ask, don't even mention it otherwise.
And talk about your work, it's very unique and having experience helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't sound like PharmD is what you want if you like bench science. I don't know your former drug of choice, but I would also consider that being around drugs as a pharmacist is not a healthy environment for you. As I'm sure you know, recovery is lifelong and I don't believe in challenging one's willpower in such a way if it can be avoided. I do believe in setting yourself up for success in every way possible. Good luck to you, I'm sorry you have been through this.

Earlier this year, at the beginning of spring semester, I went through some very difficult emotional times that ended in a drug overdose. Needless to say, I had to get out of the situation that I was in the entire context of which had to be left behind for good. The place, the people, and even what I'd decided on as a career. But instead of dropping out of school, I spoke to my counselor and he allowed me to take a personal leave of absence. Obviously, I didn't tell him the whole story, but what I did tell him was sufficient to remain in good academic standing.

My transcript states "dropped" for the entire semester.

Since then, I've been working at a CLIA-certified hematopathology reference laboratory as a technician, doing flow cytometry. I needed the money and the professional experience, because I didn't think I'd be going back to pharamacy. However, a lot of personal reflection has happened since then, and I'm certain that I want to continue in pharamacy. Perhaps I'll do something more academic than just retail, but I want to go back and make it a career.

I'm reapplying to very few schools; I know where I want to be, geographically speaking. Before I left school, I was very academically competitive. I was admitted into more than one top-ten school almost effortlessly. My one semester at the school I ended up going to had me at the top of the class by semester's end.

I'm trying to figure out how much and what I should say about my work experience during this interim period. I help develop immunophentoyping assays for my company's clients, which include the biggest names in big pharma. Obviously, the PhDs do most of the work, but I'm producing their data as a technician. This experience has reignited my love for the science involved in healthcare itself; I want to be more involved in research going forward. For this reason, I'd like to consider a combined PharmD/PhD, or at least a PhD after finishing my professional degree in pharmacy. How (or even) can I use this experience to build an appropriate scientific resume with that dual degree in mind?

Moreover and perhaps more importantly, I need to figure out how to explain the semester I dropped and the reason for my transfer. As far as the latter, I've learned that I need to be very close to my immediate family. So close is where I'm applying. But I don't quite know how to explain my departure from my former school, and the circumstances surrounding it. Can I tell them what I told my counselor, that I was emotionally stressed from deaths in my immediate family? My apprehensions are that they'll doubt my ability to perform at the level I did for the remaining three years of pharmacy school, and whatever scientific degree I undertake simultaneously or afterwards? Do I even need to explain it much? Or can I just make some sideways references to emotional difficulty?

Will admissions committees follow up with these matters after primaries? Interviews? Obviously, I could be brutally honest, but I doubt that's the most advantageous approach.

Before anyone says it, I'm recovered and drugs aren't a problem anymore. There have been drastic changes in my life and the philosophy by which I lead it. So please, unless directly relevant to my application, let's put that aside.

Thanks all!
Yikes. I was hoping this would be a leave of absence for a preggo event. Why can't you continue your program at the same school or I am reading your story incorrectly?

IT IS IMPORTANT TO BE ECONOMICAL with the truth here. Yes you have to be honest. That does not mean volunteering that you were a former heroin dependent individual. You need to just tell them you were having emotional issues which is the truth and leave it at that. Do not elaborate. There are so many discriminatory people here in the US it's disgusting. Just the other day I sat in a conference call with a large corporation that was angry that providers were being too liberal with SUBOXONE prescriptions. Suboxone is literally a drug that was invented to be anti-abuse and it's hard for addicts to get high off it and it prevents overdose deaths. They should be giving suboxone out for free with a standing order. You can not Inject suboxone and taking it prevents the effects of street heroin discouraging use. Street heroin is often cut with varying degrees of Fentanyl to boost it's performance. Good luck OP and remember that there is someone out there that loves you.

Thanks all!
All in just a matter of months?

Last edited:
1. You might need more time to get your health in order
2. Your application with a withdrawal (that’s what an LOA that you never return from really is) isn’t as strong as the app you think you had prior to starting pharmD

Good luck on everything. Health first

I'm confused, if you took a leave of absence, why wouldn't you return to your original school?