Advice on prioritizing - Research, courses, Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently an M1 and was looking for advice on prioritizing.

I think I will be able to have some research opportunities during 2nd year and was wondering how much time I should put into them. I don't think I will be able to be AOA, and I feel like I'm able to honor about 1/2 or so of my courses. My question is, should I drop research activities and focus more on classes and Step 1 during 2nd year? It could be a danger to get mostly or all P's instead of any 2nd year honors if I were to do extensive Step 1 prep + research during M2.

What do you think is the best thing to do: Load up on quality research, do well on Step 1 and average in courses? Or drop research until M3 and then move more to courses-(more preclinical honors)/Step 1 focus.

I feel like I'd move class rank from maybe 50th percentil to ~30th percentil if I focused more on courses - less on research.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I'm betting it's still the best information we have, even though it's 9 years old. I'll take "published 9 year old program director advice" vs. "random SDN know-it-all advice" any day of the week.

From my experience on the interview trail this year these are the things on paper I thought my interviewers wanted to see in an applicant. Of course these are only the things on paper, don't be a douche once they decide to interview you.

1. Ace Step 1

2. Great letters of recommendation, the better connected letter writer the better.

3. Clinical honors during 3rd year

4. Research, preferably ortho (try to do it between 1st and 2nd years when you have time)

5. Something that makes you interesting and different in a good way, that would make a program want to hear your story.

6. Step 2 (a small number of programs require scores to interview)

7. Interesting volunteer work

8. Pre-clinical honors

Go do some shadowing with an ortho doc. Make sure its right for you. Ortho is going to become insanely more competitive by the time you apply, so make sure to work on that CV early.

As someone who reviews applications and participates in the ranking of applicants, I can give you my perspective. My colleagues seem to be similar as well, but everyone looks at candidates slightly differently.

When I am reading applications to decide who to interview, this is the order of things I look at.

1) Name, medical school, undergrad, and where you are from: Obviously things you can't change or influence, but they give an idea as to where you are from.

2) USMLE: Anything above 230 makes this component of your application a basically a non-issue. Scores in the 220s means you should have something else that makes you stand out. 210s and below probably rules you out unless I know you or you rotated and did an awesome job. 240-260s is a bonus. Regarding when to take Step 2. If you got above 240 I don't really care if you have a Step 2 score listed or not.

3) Letters of Recommendation: I'm looking for strong letters of recommendation from ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS, especially ones I may know. You want a good mix, so try to maybe get a letter from a well known surgeon or chairman, and also some really personal letters from people you worked with. A really strong letter from someone I know that states you are one of the best medical students they worked with, or that they are trying to recruit you is probably the best thing you can have in your application. Letters from general surgeons are neutral, and I would actively discourage you from getting letters from family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, etc.

4) Research: You don't need a Nobel Prize. However, it is good to see that you have taken part in at least one or two research projects and that you understand the research process. Publications are not necessary. The research also does not need to be ortho specific.

5) AOA

6) Personal Statement: If you have something truly unique about yourself, here is your place to share it. Many times what you put in your personal statement will be who you become to the committee. You'll be the cattle rancher guy, or water skier girl, or the wrestler, or whatever. However, the personal statement is also a place to totally hose yourself. Do not put anything in there that could be construed as even remotely weird or unusual. Many otherwise good applicants have been passed over because the set off the weirdo or DB meter. If there isn't anything really unique about you, that's ok too, just go bland. Better to be neutral than negative.

7) Activities: This gets a quick glance over. Once again anything that is unique or special is helpful. Being part of 20 B.S. med school organizations, while potentially a huge time commitment, does not really add to your application.

8) Grades: All honor helps, but unfortunately figuring out most transcripts is more difficult than calculus. Since every school uses a different grading scheme, its very difficult to determine is pass the best, or honors, what's a 5, or A's, etc. Just don't fail stuff.

I hope this helps. In terms of how to excel and get a spot. Study really hard your first 2 years, by getting great grades you will be inadvertently studying for the USMLE. Then do what it takes to get a good score on Step I. If you want to set yourself apart, spend a little bit of time on a research project. During years 3 and 4 get to know your orthopaedic department and really work your butt off on your rotations. I have noticed that the effort put in by the medical students seems to be going down each year. Get there early, stay late, be helpful without being annoying. Try to facilitate and make the residents lives easier rather than being another thing they have to worry about.

Good luck.

As someone who reviews applications and participates in the ranking of applicants, I can give you my perspective. My colleagues seem to be similar as well, but everyone looks at candidates slightly differently.

When I am reading applications to decide who to interview, this is the order of things I look at.

1) Name, medical school, undergrad, and where you are from: Obviously things you can't change or influence, but they give an idea as to where you are from.

2) USMLE: Anything above 230 makes this component of your application a basically a non-issue. Scores in the 220s means you should have something else that makes you stand out. 210s and below probably rules you out unless I know you or you rotated and did an awesome job. 240-260s is a bonus. Regarding when to take Step 2. If you got above 240 I don't really care if you have a Step 2 score listed or not.

3) Letters of Recommendation: I'm looking for strong letters of recommendation from ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS, especially ones I may know. You want a good mix, so try to maybe get a letter from a well known surgeon or chairman, and also some really personal letters from people you worked with. A really strong letter from someone I know that states you are one of the best medical students they worked with, or that they are trying to recruit you is probably the best thing you can have in your application. Letters from general surgeons are neutral, and I would actively discourage you from getting letters from family medicine, internal medicine, psychiatry, etc.

4) Research: You don't need a Nobel Prize. However, it is good to see that you have taken part in at least one or two research projects and that you understand the research process. Publications are not necessary. The research also does not need to be ortho specific.

5) AOA

6) Personal Statement: If you have something truly unique about yourself, here is your place to share it. Many times what you put in your personal statement will be who you become to the committee. You'll be the cattle rancher guy, or water skier girl, or the wrestler, or whatever. However, the personal statement is also a place to totally hose yourself. Do not put anything in there that could be construed as even remotely weird or unusual. Many otherwise good applicants have been passed over because the set off the weirdo or DB meter. If there isn't anything really unique about you, that's ok too, just go bland. Better to be neutral than negative.

7) Activities: This gets a quick glance over. Once again anything that is unique or special is helpful. Being part of 20 B.S. med school organizations, while potentially a huge time commitment, does not really add to your application.

8) Grades: All honor helps, but unfortunately figuring out most transcripts is more difficult than calculus. Since every school uses a different grading scheme, its very difficult to determine is pass the best, or honors, what's a 5, or A's, etc. Just don't fail stuff.

I hope this helps. In terms of how to excel and get a spot. Study really hard your first 2 years, by getting great grades you will be inadvertently studying for the USMLE. Then do what it takes to get a good score on Step I. If you want to set yourself apart, spend a little bit of time on a research project. During years 3 and 4 get to know your orthopaedic department and really work your butt off on your rotations. I have noticed that the effort put in by the medical students seems to be going down each year. Get there early, stay late, be helpful without being annoying. Try to facilitate and make the residents lives easier rather than being another thing they have to worry about.

Good luck.

Great post! I think this is possibly "sticky" territory. MODS, THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN!

I've bolded one thing that shouldn't be overlooked on your away rotations. If you do nothing else, make sure you accomplish this.

5) AOA

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

5) AOA

Good luck.

Agreed that this should be saved/sticky/bookmarked.

Pro post

Thanks again

I know research with the ortho department is the best bet, what about research that is related to orthopedics but may be done by a different department (e.g. rheumatology and arthritis, endocrinology and osteoporosis, etc.) ? Ortho research at my school seems hard to come by but there are research mentors in other departments that are doing related research.

The type of research is not as important as just doing it.

The type of research is not as important as just doing it.

Grain of salt - just a med student here. I do agree that doing some type of research is better than no research, but if you can and have time it seems it would be best (but again not essential) to do some ortho research. I'm in the midst of interviews now and the only research interviewers have brought up/been excited about is the ortho stuff (I've done both ortho and non-ortho). Just another perspective.