Advice on my prerequisite dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielslee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. So I did lots of searching and found some pretty helpful threads but wanted more clarification on my specific situation. I can't remember which thread it was, but a pretty knowledgeable poster commented that you should take these courses where you would perform the best.

Having said that here are some details on my situation:
  • Graduated from top 3 public university in 2014 with BA in Economics (3.75 cgpa, Phi Betta Kappa)
  • Currently serving in Army as an EOD officer for the past five years (1 deployment to Afghaniland)
  • Started my EMT cert and should be complete by May
  • Looking to separate from the Army this year so I can start classes this fall semester
  • Need ALL prerequisite coursework
So I know some schools have no required prerequisite coursework and have recommendations/competencies. I've emailed 15+ schools to see if takings some/all of the courses at a CC would hurt my application. I'm already aware of some list floating around here with certain schools and their views on CC courses. I'm more so curious about schools that do not have a set required cours load. Currently, I'm leaning towards CC because it's vastly cheaper and has more flexibility in course scheduling.

Has anyone here ever completed most/all of their prerequisite coursework at a CC and got accepted to some high ranking medical schools? I know I'm early in the process, but I'm aiming for some big schools so I'm carefully considering this option.

Thanks and let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are aiming for big schools, with only 1 seat left to give, all other stats equal, think of it like this:

You: 4.0 from CC

Person A: 3.9 from U of Mich, or UPenn or Georgetown

Which person gets the nod?

It's not that the CC courses are bad, it's that they're not seen as competitive against someone who takes their courses at the best university they can (land granting preferably). My thoughts, free btw, would change if you were aiming toward middle/lower tier schools; because the opposite is true. If you're aiming for a middler and you come in with BIG NAME SCHOOL and BIG GPA, what's the likelihood you'd fit in with a class that is more middling?! Every school has it's personality profile for seating their classes. My pretty good GPA and life and research and all that would NEVER fit into Harvard, UPenn, UCSF because I do not fit their profile. That's not a slam on me, or those schools, it's just finding the best fit.

Another analogy, while weak: if you're storming the beach, do you want Rangers/Green Berets/Navy Seals or do you want me?

Thank you for your service to this great country of ours!!! :bow: #NeverForget

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all. So I did lots of searching and found some pretty helpful threads but wanted more clarification on my specific situation. I can't remember which thread it was, but a pretty knowledgeable poster commented that you should take these courses where you would perform the best.

Having said that here are some details on my situation:
  • Graduated from top 3 public university in 2014 with BA in Economics (3.75 cgpa, Phi Betta Kappa)
  • Currently serving in Army as an EOD officer for the past five years (1 deployment to Afghaniland)
  • Started my EMT cert and should be complete by May
  • Looking to separate from the Army this year so I can start classes this fall semester
  • Need ALL prerequisite coursework
So I know some schools have no required prerequisite coursework and have recommendations/competencies. I've emailed 15+ schools to see if takings some/all of the courses at a CC would hurt my application. I'm already aware of some list floating around here with certain schools and their views on CC courses. I'm more so curious about schools that do not have a set required cours load. Currently, I'm leaning towards CC because it's vastly cheaper and has more flexibility in course scheduling.

Has anyone here ever completed most/all of their prerequisite coursework at a CC and got accepted to some high ranking medical schools? I know I'm early in the process, but I'm aiming for some big schools so I'm carefully considering this option.

Thanks and let me know if I need to clarify anything.
so, my 2 cents.

I personally did BIOL 101/102 and General Chemistry I in Community college, but i did General Chemistry II, organic 1 and 2 and Biochemistry in the university. I also took more advanced Biology courses in the University as well -Microbiology, Virology, Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry II with lab, Bioinorganic Chemistry (i am chemistry major).
I can tell you, - courses in CC are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, so, having taken courses in both myself, i can definitely see how you REALLY want to show them that you can handle the coursework in the 4 year institution. If you are trying to save money, take the first two courses in CC, but then do the harder ones in 4 year institution. But, honestly, take all of them there.

As far as what you want to take (minimum), - that my personal advice that is based on majority of medical school requirements, as well as what would prepare you for the MCAT:
- Biol 101/102 (general biology 1 year sequence). In some schools they do 1 semester of cellular biology instead, in which case you will have to add another biology course on top;
- General Chemistry 1+2 with labs
- Organic Chemistry 1 with lab
- Biochemistry (no lab required)
- physics 1+2

I personally took Organic 2 with lab as well, but a lot of schools forgo that in favor of Biochemistry. If you miss that requirement for a particular school, you can always make that one course during the last year, before you matriculate.
Also, majority of schools require at least 6 credits of psychology/sociology. I took both, but i found that they did not help me prepare for MCAT (just be personally maybe). So, you might want to check if your courses from previous degree fullfill that requirement.
If you are looking for additional courses - i personally found Genetics, Microbiology and Virology to be both fun and helpful, but that is up to you. I definitely sound Anatomy and Physiology Helpful, especially if you take the advanced versions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are aiming for big schools, with only 1 seat left to give, all other stats equal, think of it like this:

You: 4.0 from CC

Person A: 3.9 from U of Mich, or UPenn or Georgetown

Which person gets the nod?

It's not that the CC courses are bad, it's that they're not seen as competitive against someone who takes their courses at the best university they can (land granting preferably). My thoughts, free btw, would change if you were aiming toward middle/lower tier schools; because the opposite is true. If you're aiming for a middler and you come in with BIG NAME SCHOOL and BIG GPA, what's the likelihood you'd fit in with a class that is more middling?! Every school has it's personality profile for seating their classes. My pretty good GPA and life and research and all that would NEVER fit into Harvard, UPenn, UCSF because I do not fit their profile. That's not a slam on me, or those schools, it's just finding the best fit.

Another analogy, while weak: if you're storming the beach, do you want Rangers/Green Berets/Navy Seals or do you want me?

Thank you for your service to this great country of ours!!! :bow: #NeverForget

Hey I really appreciate your comments. It certainly makes sense when you put it into that kind of perspective. The main reason why I'm looking into those big names schools is because I'm going to attempt to chase programs that are very generous with financial aid (eg. NYU, Columbia, Mayo, etc.). I'll certainly have to look into this profile thing you mentioned cause it didn't even really cross my mind.

As for storming the beach... probably Rangers cause they're just brutes of dudes that kick down doors and tear stuff up. If I want a surgical removal of someone I'd lean on the Seals or Berets. Just my $0.02 haha.

so, my 2 cents.

I personally did BIOL 101/102 and General Chemistry I in Community college, but i did General Chemistry II, organic 1 and 2 and Biochemistry in the university. I also took more advanced Biology courses in the University as well -Microbiology, Virology, Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry II with lab, Bioinorganic Chemistry (i am chemistry major).
I can tell you, - courses in CC are MUCH MUCH MUCH easier, so, having taken courses in both myself, i can definitely see how you REALLY want to show them that you can handle the coursework in the 4 year institution. If you are trying to save money, take the first two courses in CC, but then do the harder ones in 4 year institution. But, honestly, take all of them there.

As far as what you want to take (minimum), - that my personal advice that is based on majority of medical school requirements, as well as what would prepare you for the MCAT:
- Biol 101/102 (general biology 1 year sequence). In some schools they do 1 semester of cellular biology instead, in which case you will have to add another biology course on top;
- General Chemistry 1+2 with labs
- Organic Chemistry 1 with lab
- Biochemistry (no lab required)
- physics 1+2

I personally took Organic 2 with lab as well, but a lot of schools forgo that in favor of Biochemistry. If you miss that requirement for a particular school, you can always make that one course during the last year, before you matriculate.
Also, majority of schools require at least 6 credits of psychology/sociology. I took both, but i found that they did not help me prepare for MCAT (just be personally maybe). So, you might want to check if your courses from previous degree fullfill that requirement.
If you are looking for additional courses - i personally found Genetics, Microbiology and Virology to be both fun and helpful, but that is up to you. I definitely sound Anatomy and Physiology Helpful, especially if you take the advanced versions.

Thanks for your input. I think that's going to be the realistic option - take two semesters of Bio and Chem and finish up at a local university with the remaining courses.

There's nothing wrong with CC coursework assuming you do very well in those courses. I was very well prepared for the MCAT with most of my pre-reqs completed at a two-year.

I wouldn't look at med school admissions with financial aid as your primary focus. Medical school admissions is unbelievably competitive such that if you got into any one school, I would consider yourself very fortunate.

Don't worry about "top" programs at this stage. You need a similar GPA in the pre-reqs and an MCAT score. If you can do those pre-reqs at a four year, I would do that first. If that is not an option, pick the CC route, ace the courses and then do very well on the MCAT.

If your focus is the "top" programs as you suggest, get ready for some fierce competition from some students with apps that will blow your mind.

There's nothing wrong with CC coursework assuming you do very well in those courses. I was very well prepared for the MCAT with most of my pre-reqs completed at a two-year.

I wouldn't look at med school admissions with financial aid as your primary focus. Medical school admissions is unbelievably competitive such that if you got into any one school, I would consider yourself very fortunate.

Don't worry about "top" programs at this stage. You need a similar GPA in the pre-reqs and an MCAT score. If you can do those pre-reqs at a four year, I would do that first. If that is not an option, pick the CC route, ace the courses and then do very well on the MCAT.

If your focus is the "top" programs as you suggest, get ready for some fierce competition from some students with apps that will blow your mind.

Oh I don't doubt that at well. Again, it's my aim. If I take courses (regardless of where they are) and my MCAT and see that they don't realistically align with the schools I'm interested in, then it's certainly time to reevaluate my choices.

But I understand what you're saying. I suppose I should've said that it's one of the factors that are influencing what schools I end up applying to.

@danielslee - have you purchased the MSAR from the AAMC? It's a really good guide to what those schools look for in stats, etc.

@danielslee - have you purchased the MSAR from the AAMC? It's a really good guide to what those schools look for in stats, etc.

I was actually just looking into that. Is it worth purchasing even if I don't plan on applying until 2021? I know most (if not all) people recommend it, but usually that's before you apply to see how you stack up against the schools. What's your opinion?

I was actually just looking into that. Is it worth purchasing even if I don't plan on applying until 2021?

I don't know how much information you get for free but it might help frame your CC v university path; I have purchased it every year, that said, my situation is different and it helps me in other ways

I don't know how much information you get for free but it might help frame your CC v university path; I have purchased it every year, that said, my situation is different and it helps me in other ways

Ah it's only $28. I've spent much more on dumber things hahaha

Ah it's only $28. I've spent much more on dumber things hahaha

oh me too... me too (really needed that ASDF gizmo that does a WER on my thingyinside my car knob windshieldwiper motor music thingy)

Hey I really appreciate your comments. It certainly makes sense when you put it into that kind of perspective. The main reason why I'm looking into those big names schools is because I'm going to attempt to chase programs that are very generous with financial aid (eg. NYU, Columbia, Mayo, etc.). I'll certainly have to look into this profile thing you mentioned cause it didn't even really cross my mind.

As for storming the beach... probably Rangers cause they're just brutes of dudes that kick down doors and tear stuff up. If I want a surgical removal of someone I'd lean on the Seals or Berets. Just my $0.02 haha.

you will be surprised at the financial aid that is available, it is not restricted to the top programs. also look into schools that do the yellow ribbon program, some med schools do some don't. even when i was doing my interviews at some "lower" tier schools half the interviewees were from ivy league schools its seems like, so no matter what the competition is fierce.

Here are my thoughts per your questions. I'm from a somewhat similar background, although I've been in the Army for 14 years.
Some other differences between us, which might factor into comparison: I certainly was not PBK (good job) and you have a higher GPA than I did. I have a bit more life experience to write about, had some science in my undergrad, and took my pre-reqs while still serving.

Now, what advice I can offer:
- Taking all your pre-reqs at CC doesn't matter; you have a 4-year degree from a good UG school. A non-cc is always better because they are more rigorous and might prepare you better, but no one is going to ding you for it other than the few schools that don't accept CC at all.
- If you care about that, the MSAR is the resource, though your subscription only lasts a year.
- The MCAT can make up for taking your courses at CC. If you crush it, they will know that you get the material. Study harder than anything you studied for in your life, take a lot of pre-tests, and take biochem before you take it.
- No one is going to care that you're EMT certified unless you are practicing as an EMT and getting clinical experience or similar
- You'll get a little bit of a bye for being in the Army, but start working on your extra circulars now. I didn't have many, but am still serving. If you're going to be out a few years, you need to spend some of that time with patients (clinical volunteering), and also non-clinical volunteering (go be nice and serve others)
- Cultivate relationships with your science professors, you'll need at least two of them for LORs.
- I got invites to 5/10 schools to which I applied: UPenn, UMich, Pitt, Case Western, and Rochester. I didn't wait for a response for 4, but didn't get an invite to the school I really thought I would attend. Don't put all your hopes/thoughts in one place. If you want to be a doctor, apply broadly and go wherever this whole thing leads you. I would have happily attended any school to which I applied.
- Start working on your statements/essays now. We in the military have a hard time really picturing how others view our service, and it's good to get second opinions on what you've written. Don't be flippant about your experiences - no matter what, they helped form you, and write honestly as best you can.

Good luck!