Advice on mailing address change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstylee

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - I was hoping to get some advice/input on something. I currently have my medical school mail sent to my apartment at school in Illinois. But, I will be going home to NY for an entire month for Winter Break. I have a feeling I'm going to get at least some mail from schools during that time. I have no one to get my mail for me while I'm gone. I was thinking about having the post-office forward my mail to NY, but I have no idea how much that will delay me getting it. Also, I was thinking about calling the schools and changing my address. But, I feel like that might get confusing/messy. What does everyone think about these ideas? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably recommend doing a "temporory change of address" through the Post Office. (it's one of the options they give you) Ususally, it only delays mail a couple of days. (Of course, sometimes mail gets lost for like 3 weeks, but that happens anyway.) Changing your address with med schools seems like an unnecessary complication, especially if you are going back to the same address. You can even change your address with the post office online, although they charge you like $1. That's what I would do, anyway.

I agree: a temporary change of address through the Post Office would prob be the best solution. I made a permament address change partway through the app process earlier this fall, and I informed all of the schools I applied to by mail (which lucky for me was only 9 schools). More schools than that and it's likely to get messy, as you predicted. Plus, some of the schools still sent correspondence to my previous address, which would've been a disaster if it wasn't my parents' address. So, bottom line: a temporary change would prob be the way to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went ahead and did that on-line. You were right, it cost me $1. Talk about rough on the credit limit there.

Thanks for your advice.

A WHOLE MONTH!!! OH MY GOSH!!!

don't do anything. Cuz it will be funny when it takes longer than a week to notify you of an interview since your letter is lost in the mail system.