Advice on how to answer this secondary question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bouncydidit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)"

I worked part-time during my junior year but it wasn't because of a financial need. I inquired at a local hospital about volunteer opportunities and was offered a part-time job instead. My P.I. was very flexible with me. I could work whenever during the week as long as I fulfilled my 8 hour/week quota. It was a research job so I mainly conducted literature reviews but I also acted as the P.I.'s personal assistant ( would help her brainstorm before giving talks, look over manuscripts before submission, etc.).

I feel like this question is more trying to assess whether you HAD to work for financial reasons, given the 4000 character count. Additionally, my job wasn't super involved and it was 6 years ago so I don't have a lot to say about it. How in-depth should I answer it?
Simply answer the question truthfully. Yes, it is determining whether you needed to work to financially support your education or your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Simply answer the question truthfully. Yes, it is determining whether you needed to work to financially support your education or your family.
Do you think there is a need to expand on the role given the 4000 character limit, or can I be brief with it since I was not working to support my education/family?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think there is a need to expand on the role given the 4000 character limit, or can I be brief with it since I was not working to support my education/family?
You know your situation better and have the ultimate choice in making sure your answer falls within the character limit. And it's okay to be extremely brief.

"Were you employed full-time (or part-time) during your undergraduate or graduate years? If yes, please explain. (Maximum 4000 characters)"

I worked part-time during my junior year but it wasn't because of a financial need. I inquired at a local hospital about volunteer opportunities and was offered a part-time job instead. My P.I. was very flexible with me. I could work whenever during the week as long as I fulfilled my 8 hour/week quota. It was a research job so I mainly conducted literature reviews but I also acted as the P.I.'s personal assistant ( would help her brainstorm before giving talks, look over manuscripts before submission, etc.).

I feel like this question is more trying to assess whether you HAD to work for financial reasons, given the 4000 character count. Additionally, my job wasn't super involved and it was 6 years ago so I don't have a lot to say about it. How in-depth should I answer it?
You clearly don't understand the question.

Reread the prompt and simply answer the question.

The prompt is not asking "why did you have to work?"

Not calling out you OP, but some of the questions I've seen lately on prompts in this forum demonstrate yet again why there's a CARS section on the MCAT.

You clearly don't understand the question.

Reread the prompt and simply answer the question.

The prompt is not asking "why did you have to work?"

Not calling out you OP, but some of the questions I've seen lately on prompts in this forum demonstrate yet again why there's a CARS section on the MCAT.
The reason this forum exists is so that applicants can support each other and offer advice. I was simply wondering whether it would be ok to be brief given the long character limit. There are a lot of unsaid rules in the med school app process that applicants are just expected to know.

@Mr.Smile12 answered my question succinctly but I appreciate your help!

The reason this forum exists is so that applicants can support each other and offer advice. I was simply wondering whether it would be ok to be brief given the long character limit. There are a lot of unsaid rules in the med school app process that applicants are just expected to know.

@Mr.Smile12 answered my question succinctly but I appreciate your help!
"I feel like this question is more trying to assess whether you HAD to work for financial reasons, given the 4000 character limit."

You questioned whether the prompt was seeking a reason as to WHY you were working, which it did not.

Last edited: